User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need some advise:

Hi everyone - we are new to the RV world and are in the process of buying a 2018 Grand Design. Being a used unit, we have noticed a couple of things that cause of concern.
    - The first is the door is a yellowish color and very noticeably different from the rest of the unit. Any ideas of why that is the case? We could really use some expert help and advise.
    - The second cause for concern is that it appears they stopped making the model we are looking at... The 2150 Imagine. Would it be difficult to get service and parts for the unit if they have discontinued that model? And any thoughts on why they are moving away from that model?

Any help would be great appreciated!

Thanks,
    Brady & Ashley

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by travelingBM View Post
    Hi everyone - we are new to the RV world and are in the process of buying a 2018 Grand Design. Being a used unit, we have noticed a couple of things that cause of concern.
    - The first is the door is a yellowish color and very noticeably different from the rest of the unit. Any ideas of why that is the case? We could really use some expert help and advise.
    - The second cause for concern is that it appears they stopped making the model we are looking at... The 2150 Imagine. Would it be difficult to get service and parts for the unit if they have discontinued that model? And any thoughts on why they are moving away from that model?

Any help would be great appreciated!

Thanks,
    Brady & Ashley
    There are two possibilities I can think of regarding the door being a different color. One is that the door was replaced and the replacement was not the right color. Two, Sun fading, the Sun is harsh on the exterior of these campers and it is possible that the door was made from a different sheet of fiberglass than the rest of the coach and the door was not as well protected from the Sun's fading/yellowing effects as the rest of the coach.

Bottom line, complain about the color difference to the Owner and let them know your wife (or you) hates it, but, you are willing to buy the coach if you get enough discount to replace the door. Unless, the door color bothers you enough to not buy the coach.

As far as the mechanical portion of the coach goes, almost all the appliances and other components are standard throughout the industry and very little changes mechanically from year to year. Additionally, the foot print of the appliances do not normally change, so, if you had a 2003 camper and you needed a new furnace, you could buy a 2020 furnace that would fit into the space of the old furnace, and, most likely, you could buy the exact same furnace (if not, the manufacturers will have a model number replacement table that will tell you the new model number).

Bottom line: if the camper you are looking at is in good working order, and it has been well cared for, then;

Go For It !!!

And welcome to the Grand Design Family !!!!
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum.

The door only being yellowish and nothing else seems strange. Makes me think it was replaced for some reason. I wouldn't worry too much about the model being discontinued, this happens frequently with RVs as manufactures make a slight change to the layout or a particular floor plan doesnt sell as well as they liked.

To be on the safe side, you should hire an independent RV inspector. Might cost hundreds of dollars, but it could save you a lot if they find an issue you didnt know you should be looking for.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember reading a post on here about a member who's door turned yellow but I cant remember the outcome. Maybe try doing a search on here and see. Or maybe he put it up for sale and it's his rig that you are looking at being. Lol
    As for your other concern, I agree with the comments that you had received.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    I remember reading a post on here about a member who's door turned yellow but I cant remember the outcome. Maybe try doing a search on here and see. Or maybe he put it up for sale and it's his rig that you are looking at being. Lol
    As for your other concern, I agree with the comments that you had received.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    One of these?
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...l=1#post310977
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...417#post281417
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...672#post248672
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...668#post284668

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)