User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cab bushing replacement Ford F-350

The cab bushings are shot on my 2012 F-350. You-tube videos, at least some, make this look like a back yard Saturday project. Others make it look like a body shop process with lifts and all. I have plenty of tools along with farm boy mechanical experience but I am not experienced in vehicle body work at all. What I need is honest advice about the complexity of the job. That type of advice is what I have found to be true in this forum. Thanks.
    Ed
    Eddie, Cindy, n Maddie (our fearless Yorkie)
    2012 F-350 LWB 4x4 6.7 SRW C-cab with B&W Turnover + Companion pulling a 2017 307MKS Reflection

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Replaced all 8 on my 2014 f450 with the S&B silicone units. Took most of the day to do them, You tube has some good videos on it. Remove the front wheel well liners makes easy access to the front ones. Do one side of the vehicle at a time, all 4 of them, then move to the other side. Do not use impact gun or air tools or you will strip the blind nuts- hit them with a torch to break the locktite loose first. Use a torqe wrench when installing them.
    It is a moderately difficult job, but a serious DIY guy with the proper tools - jacks, jack stands, sockets, pry bars, tourch, torqe wrench, etc its doo-able... oh and plenty of adult beverages

https://www.sbfilters.com/body-mounts/ford
    Last edited by palmeris; 10-12-2020 at 09:54 AM. Reason: added link

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I chickened out. After taking an assessment of my blocks, jacks, and a stand, I decided to find a shop do the job. Easy, right? The first shop, which specializes in customizing trucks, did not say no, but hell no. They tried it once and it turned into a disaster. So I tried three more shops, no dice. This is a small town so I was running out of options. Walked into the fifth sheepishly and enquired. The owner kicked two boxes of bushings on the floor for pending jobs, pointed to his own F250, then added he had put bushings in his son’s F450. Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner! He “bushed me up”. I can certainly tell the difference in ride, cab alignment, and no more clunking!
    2012 F-350 LWB 4x4 6.7 SRW C-cab with B&W Turnover + Companion pulling a 2017 307MKS Reflection

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a big job and you have to have the correct tools for sure - Its amazing how fast the factory ones turn to crap and how it effects the ride quality, figure most just think thats how a super duty is supposed to ride and dont ever check the cab mounts. What brand did you end up using to replace them? I reserached and chose the S&B as they have the lifetime warranty on them and the reviews on the Poly mounts were not good as the made the ride harsh.
    Thanks for the update, hopefully this thread can help others down the road

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just went back with the poly’s but did consider the S&Bs. I’m 67 and figured I would last as long as the poly’s would The whole job cost about the same as the S&B mounts alone. I bet the majority of Fords on this forum ( if they are a few years old) have crumbling cab mount bushings and have the clunking noise on every bounce. Like you Palmeris, I hope our little thread discussion helps some other guys out. Take care.
    Ed