Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting PI Power Monitor Just Shut Down Power to the Rig

Setting here enjoying my morning coffee, reading the mail on the forum and BAM, our PI power monitor shut down power to the rig. Loud beeping going on. Checking things out on the monitor display, L1- power was at 136VAC, L2- power was at 123VAC. Error Code PE-3 (L1 High Voltage) The PI monitor clicked power off the rig and back on a few times. L1 power surging up to 136VAC. L2 was always stable at 123VAC.
    It now seems stable, L1 line voltage stable at 123VAC. Power company Grid Switching?

Well I guess our Progressive Industries hardwired power monitor just saved our bacon, and our RV electronic subsystems! Just goes to show the cost is well worth the effort.
    Now i can go back to enjoying my morning coffee!
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh wow, nice.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    Power company Grid Switching?
    Could be, or a transformer having issues. We saw something similar about 3 times over a couple of days, then the local transformer failed. The power company replaced it, and there were no additional issues.
    2016 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
    2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB/CTD/Aisin/4.10
    2014 Polaris RZR 800EPS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trust your power monitor system. I have had instances where the local campground maintenance personnel try to convince me the problem lies with my PMS unit.
    John & Cindy
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS
    2018 Ford F250 6.7 PSD

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Setting here enjoying my morning coffee, reading the mail on the forum and BAM, our PI power monitor shut down power to the rig. Loud beeping going on. Checking things out on the monitor display, L1- power was at 136VAC, L2- power was at 123VAC. Error Code PE-3 (L1 High Voltage) The PI monitor clicked power off the rig and back on a few times. L1 power surging up to 136VAC. L2 was always stable at 123VAC.
    It now seems stable, L1 line voltage stable at 123VAC. Power company Grid Switching?

Well I guess our Progressive Industries hardwired power monitor just saved our bacon, and our RV electronic subsystems! Just goes to show the cost is well worth the effort.
    We haven't had the high voltage issue, but our PI (hard wired) system has shut us for for low voltage (104V) a couple of times.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had that happen to us last year. Talk about scare the crap out of you in the middle of the night. The people across the road from us lost their fridge, a/c and several other electronic devices. They said they never used any type of surge protector in all the years they've been camping. After seeing we had no damage, they said they would be buying one.
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might want to report to CG just in case they care. Others in the CG won't be so "lucky"
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Power monitor model #

Do you by chance have the model number for the power monitor? Sounds like a good investment.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tgodrich View Post
    Do you by chance have the model number for the power monitor? Sounds like a good investment.
    This is the one I put in our Solitude. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tgodrich View Post
    I installed the PI HW50C. It has saved damaged to our rig more than a few times. I posted my installation on the forum. There are indications that PI may not honor the warranty unless a certified professional does the install. There are others that say that isn't true. Just be advised. For me, I don't care, I'll buy a new one if I have to. I do not trust an RV service tech to do my install.
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...olitude-3350RL

The non-hard wired equivalent model would be the PT50X.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 10-10-2020 at 06:24 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast