User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is why I always carry an extra 12 volt battery for insurance. A backup.
    My plan is to put the 2-6 volt batteries in with the standard 12 volt battery.
    Send them to a switch ... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    Now I can switch between the two, add the two in parallel and have a REAL battery disconnect switch.
    Mike & Pat Clawson
    Marty & Bucky (Welsh Corgis)
    2015 Grand Design Reflection 337 RLS #2813
    Titan Disc Brakes, Liberty Rider Suspension
    2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
    Comfort Ride Hitch, 52 Gallon Titan XXL Fuel Tank, Banks Speed Brake, Firestone Air Lift Bags
    http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/...pst4uyouma.gif

Splitsworld
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Since you asked . . .

I have a lot of experience with both 6 and 12 volt battery systems (in boats) . . . and with what happens when something fails. With two 6 volt batteries, you only have one power source. If one cell fails in either battery, everything stops. With two 12 volt batteries (of equivalent amp hr capacity) you have a backup plan. If one battery cell fails, you still have 12 volt capability from the good battery. I'm not a fan of 6 volt batteries . . .

Rob
    Well in that case i either hookup my tow vehicle and charge, or use one of the 2 12v in my f450, turn on my on board generator, or if that fails, turn on my honda 2000 genny . Not necessarily in that order...Did i pass the test?? . 12 volt= great for cranking a motor but not much else heck i can't even get a full night in my 385th on the brand new 12v interstate marine battery and thats w/o a heater or anything else running cept my pump switch and a led light. But we all have opinions! Mine mostly formed from my boondocking experiences.
    Last edited by Splitsworld; 03-03-2015 at 09:12 PM.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Splitsworld,
    No "test" intended. You obviously have lots of recovery alternatives.
    My only point is that two 6 volt batteries in series are not necessarily better than two 12 volt batteries in parallel.
    Just my opinion.
    Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Splitsworld
    Hey Rob,

You can never have too many backups or alteratives camping!!

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gr8daggett View Post
    That is why I always carry an extra 12 volt battery for insurance. A backup.
    My plan is to put the 2-6 volt batteries in with the standard 12 volt battery.
    Send them to a switch ... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    Now I can switch between the two, add the two in parallel and have a REAL battery disconnect switch.
    Hi gr8daggett

The problem with this plan is figuring out how to charge a matrix of batteries of different capacities. The charger can get "confused" by reading state of charge of one battery and applying that charge rate to all batteries.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Notsosan, Looks good, what is the source of your battery box?
    The mountains are calling and I must go" John Muir

Chuck
    2015 Reflection 303 RLS
    2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    Elk Grove, Ca

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...psotab2qdx.jpg

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CManley View Post
    Notsosan, Looks good, what is the source of your battery box?
    I bought the batteries and the box from a small local battery shop I have used for years. He sells two styles, one for the batteries sitting side by side like mine and another end to end. Don't know where he gets them but I will ask when we get home at the end of the month. They don't come with vents or drains so I cut the vent out of the old box and attached it to the new one. The drain is made from an old plastic hand shower hose I had kicking around.
    Nick and Nancy
    Abbotsford BC
    2011 Ram 3500
    2015 Reflection 303RLs

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I transferred my 2 - 6 volt Trojan T-105s from my old trailer. They work excellent in my application. I run a 1000w pure sive wave inverter so we can power our electronics when dry camping. I run my Honda 2000 every 2 or 3 days for a few hours to recharge but I've never had them get below maybe 12.4 or about 70% of full charge.

Unfortunately the tech from the dealer who swapped them over did not do as I asked and remove the OEM 12v battery box so I need to remove it, cover the hole and slide my dual setup over to make better utilize the space for when my generator comes. I got the boxes from San Diego Battery Wholesale (where I got the batteries) and they cost $18 apiece. They did not come with the vent outlet on top so I cut the outlets from the previous 12v boxes I had and mounted them in these.

Here's how it looks now.

Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Here's how I moddifed the boxes. Most 12v boxes seem to come with the top vent. I can't remember why I found it hard to find 6v boxes with them?

Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These added battery boxes appear to be standard marine parts. They would be available at most marine stores for either 6V or 12V batteries. The marine requirements are a little different than RV. The boxes must be water tight to the height if the battery (no vent out the bottom) and they vent through the lid "overhang" where the cables come in. There is no requirement to seal and vent the box, but the space where the batteries are located must be vented. Is it a RV requirement that the battery box be sealed and vented to the outside ? or just a common industry practice ?

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast