User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Outside stairs lighting.

We like to sit outside in the dark, star gazing or having a fire. Going in to get another beer or use the bathroom means stumbling on the stairs. To solve this problem I installed blue, dimmable LED lights in the stairs. Here are a couple of pictures to show what I did.

This is the stair glow at full dim and maybe 1/3 bright.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sglowF.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	29946

I fed the wires through a small nylon tube and into the stair runners. This is to protect the wires especially at the door transition.

With the door closed.
    With the door open.
    With the stairs up in Travel mode.
    The wire going up into the back of the cabinets so it can make its way to the control panel.

Name:	swireF.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	29947

I also added a couple of other dimmers. Left is the main lights dimmer. I also kept the blue light on/off switch because that's a great night light for finding my way to the bathroom in the middle of the night. Next to that is the awning light dimmer switch. At the far right is the dimmer switch for the stairs.

Finally is a picture (crappy picture) of the water proof, blue, LED strip lights up in the stairs.

Name:	spanelF.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	29948

The stair lights is an awesome mod along with the other dimmer switches including a dimmer switch in the pass through storage for my front cap lights. Marty's adapter plates are great and fit perfectly. A fairly easy DIY project.
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 Laramie, 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    2021 337rls w/ Andersen hitch.

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like that being dimable, with so much outside light pollution it's a nice compromise.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess red lights might lead some folks to the wrong conclusion? Those would be best for stargazing...
    Ours came with a bright blue light, I wonder if there is a way to make dimable?
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandesigner View Post
    I guess red lights might lead some folks to the wrong conclusion? Those would be best for stargazing...
    Is it a LED light and where is the switch located. Marty (see other dimmer switch posts for details) makes adapter plates for control panels and also for wall switches in single, double or triple configurations. Converting an on/off switch to a dimmer is literally a 5 minute project. The adapter plates are reasonably priced but the dimmer switches are $29 each.

Here is my wall switch for my front cap LED's converted to dimmer switch using one of Marty's adapter plates. Looks like it came from the factory like that.

Name:	walladapter.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	29949
    Charles and Susan

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it appears to be an led but I have not investigated closely. The switch is on the panel with all the other switches.
    Thanks for the advice, this may become one of many winter projects to make it better than bought.
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ckreef View Post
    We like to sit outside in the dark, star gazing or having a fire. Going in to get another beer or use the bathroom means stumbling on the stairs. To solve this problem I installed blue, dimmable LED lights in the stairs. Here are a couple of pictures to show what I did.

This is the stair glow at full dim and maybe 1/3 bright.

Name:	sglowF.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	29946

I fed the wires through a small nylon tube and into the stair runners. This is to protect the wires especially at the door transition.

With the door closed.
    With the door open.
    With the stairs up in Travel mode.
    The wire going up into the back of the cabinets so it can make its way to the control panel.

Name:	swireF.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	29947

I also added a couple of other dimmers. Left is the main lights dimmer. I also kept the blue light on/off switch because that's a great night light for finding my way to the bathroom in the middle of the night. Next to that is the awning light dimmer switch. At the far right is the dimmer switch for the stairs.

Finally is a picture (crappy picture) of the water proof, blue, LED strip lights up in the stairs.

Name:	spanelF.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	29948

The stair lights is an awesome mod along with the other dimmer switches including a dimmer switch in the pass through storage for my front cap lights. Marty's adapter plates are great and fit perfectly. A fairly easy DIY project.
    Looks great! What size adapter did you use for the dimmer in the factory location? Also, do you have a link for the lights you used?
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro Double cab

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My Reflection came with an LED step light - seems to work well. Its mounted in the frame behind the step. I will admit the switch on the control panel is confusing as there is also an interior step light too for the steps up to the bedroom - nice feature for those that stay up late while the DW sleeps. Might want to check to see if you have this already.

Just my 02

Happy travels
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by That 1 Ron View Post
    Looks great! What size adapter did you use for the dimmer in the factory location? Also, do you have a link for the lights you used?
    I ordered the 3/4" tall adapter plate. Email Marty at
    [email protected]
    Let him know what you are doing and he'll stear you in the right direction including a link for the dimmer switches.

Here is a link for the LED strip lights I ordered.
    https://www.ledsupply.com/led-strips...hoC21EQAvD_BwE
    Charles and Susan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ckreef View Post
    I ordered the 3/4" tall adapter plate. Email Marty at
    [email protected]
    Let him know what you are doing and he'll stear you in the right direction including a link for the dimmer switches.

Here is a link for the LED strip lights I ordered.
    https://www.ledsupply.com/led-strips...hoC21EQAvD_BwE
    Awesome, thanks!
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro Double cab

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandesigner View Post
    I'm looking for a red lens to change the color. I was able to dim and refocus the light by fashioning a piece of aluminum flashing as an eyebrow. The light would blind my dog when she went up the steps in the dark.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast