User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Intermittent Vacuum Breaker at Toilet???

This morning I noticed about 1/2 cup of clear water on the floor behind the toilet. The bottom of the vacuum breaker was wet. I dried everything off and tried to replicate the problem, but nothing leaked. Inspection of the water inlet hardware with a mirror and flashlight didn't show any wet areas, so now I am stumped. Is it possible that the vacuum breaker could have 'stuck' open and then fixed itself after I moved it around some?

I checked the supply nuts, and they are tight; there are no breaks in the supply hoses, and the clamps are not leaking. I am no stranger to plumbing repairs, but I never saw this before.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anything in the "trades" is possible! Be it plumbing, electrical, mechanical, etc. Yes, the VB could have stuck open. I would be more concerned if there was any chance of it ever freezing (not likely if your in Florida!) or even a possibility of a tiny flec of sand, or iron/calcium buildup under the seal?

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not uncommon at all for the vacuum breakers/backflow preventers to fail. The one on the black tank flush failed in our Reflection and our neighbor here in the military FamCamp had the same thing happen last week... having to replace flooring in the RV. It's amazing how much they charge for those little plastic buggers! We had a leak exactly where you're describing but it turned out to be where the hose fit on the nipple on the vacuum breaker. An aircraft hose clamp fixed it.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for your replies. We just got back to our home base from our month long stay in North Carolina, and I have ordered a new vacuum breaker. We were able to limp along by using a rag to 'wick' the leak down into a plastic container. Just one more wonderful new learning experience