Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towing Imagine 2500RL with F150, 2.7EB, 4x2 Supercrew, tow pkg

Anyone towing the 2500 with my setup: 2019 F150 XLT 4x2 Supercrew, 145wb, 2.7EB, tow pkg? We wanted the 2670ML, but the 2500RL will meet our needs and seems to fall within the numbers well. We are concerned about sway that many mentioned with the 2670ML. Oh, we are using a Husky 12,000# WDH with friction sway bar.
    Lee, Susie, & Honey the Welshie
    2019 F150 4x2 145wb 2.7GTDI, 3.55, tow pkg
    Soon to be in the Imagine Owners family

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JLK3Pilot View Post
    Anyone towing the 2500 with my setup: 2019 F150 XLT 4x2 Supercrew, 145wb, 2.7EB, tow pkg? We wanted the 2670ML, but the 2500RL will meet our needs and seems to fall within the numbers well. We are concerned about sway that many mentioned with the 2670ML. Oh, we are using a Husky 12,000# WDH with friction sway bar.
    Hi JLK3Pilit, we tow a 22MLE with the same truck as yours only ours is 4x4 and the Husky wdh. Payload is the killer. Our payload door sticker is 1426. Our tt is usually loaded at around 6500. Last time I CaT scaled, hitch weight was close to 13%. We always travel with 1/3 fresh water and sometime with some black tank. I think on the 22mle, the gray and black tanks are behind the axle compared to the 2500rl. We haven't had any issues pulling. As you know by now, that 2.7 EB is an impressive power house. Much better then my other truck with the 5.4 6 speed. All that said, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable towing any bigger or heavier. Sway has not been a problem but on our last trip we got wind gust of 30-35mph and we got push around. I wouldn't drive in stronger winds with my current setup. The short wb and being close to tow limits really didn't help. We bought this truck before the unplanned tt purchase. I was aiming for better gas mileage as I do a lot for work. As soon as its financially viable, I'll be getting either a more capable f150 or go to the f250. We'll see in a yr or 2. In the meantime, I know I can safely tow the 22mle as long as we are mindful of how we load. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes it does and I really appreciate your feedback. While we are not new to RVing we are new to towing a travel trailer and more than a little worried about big rigs and wind blowing us around. Even in my diesel pusher it was somewhat disconcerting at times. It appears we may be moving to the 2250RK or the 22MLE.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh another thing, the rear end is a little soft. Not unbearably. I'm considering getting the roadmaster active suspense just to reduce the bounce. And it's only on rougher roads like the ones around where I live. Lol

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm adding airbags and maybe beefier shocks regardless of which TT we land on. Thanks again for your comments! Happy Trails!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm adding airbags and maybe beefier shocks regardless of which TT we land on. Thanks again for your comments! Happy Trails!
    The shocks seem to be the biggest helper in the F150 groups. I can’t personally speak to it, yet, but I’m about to try Bilsteins as I’m at 50k on the truck.

If you move to the smaller trailers, I doubt airbags are necessary. The overload springs on these will take the load, and a lighter tongue weight (mine, for example), doesn’t squat the truck too much, even without the wdh bars hooked up. Course the bars add stability.

Go get in them! The 22 is a nice setup that a lot of people love. I would personally prefer it to the 2500 to avoid going through the bathroom to get to the bed. The separation of spaces is nice, but only necessary if someone else is sleeping in the trailer. Course you have experience so you know all this and probably have a good idea what you like.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lee, I towed my Imagine 2250RK with a 2018 F150 XLT, 4x2 SC 145wb, 5.0 V8 and tow pkg. It worked out good but I felt the suspension in a 4wd would give me more stability, imaginary or not. So I traded the 18 in on a new 19, everything identical except 4wd and color. I'm happy to report that, although I cant substantiate why, the ride feels much more substantial and more "solid". I'm now a believer in what others were telling me before I bought the 2018 that the 4wd offers much more benefit than just getting out of mud, snow, tough spots, etc, that the suspension of a 4WD is more beefier than the 2wd version of just about any make/model. I'll admit that I'm not even sure if that is true or not, I'm just sure that the ride quality in the 4wd gives me much more confidence on the highway when towing than the 2wd model did. I seems to me that your set up will work but I'm not sure that you've left yourself and great amount of "wiggle room" when it comes to capability and/or safety. I'm not an expert in the field of towing so take it for what it's worth. I'm not a fan of the 2.7 for towing but I'll bet it will "work". As the old saying goes, "just because you CAN do it doesn't mean you SHOULD do it" We almost got the 2500RL until we found the 2250RK and it's smaller but for our needs smaller is better. Travel Safe!
    Dave and Sue Dion
    SCPO(SW), USN, (Ret)
    2020 GD Imagine 2250RK
    2019 F-150 XLT FX4 5.0L,1823 payload

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Schiefswret View Post
    Lee, I towed my Imagine 2250RK with a 2018 F150 XLT, 4x2 SC 145wb, 5.0 V8 and tow pkg. It worked out good but I felt the suspension in a 4wd would give me more stability, imaginary or not. So I traded the 18 in on a new 19, everything identical except 4wd and color. I'm happy to report that, although I cant substantiate why, the ride feels much more substantial and more "solid". I'm now a believer in what others were telling me before I bought the 2018 that the 4wd offers much more benefit than just getting out of mud, snow, tough spots, etc, that the suspension of a 4WD is more beefier than the 2wd version of just about any make/model. I'll admit that I'm not even sure if that is true or not, I'm just sure that the ride quality in the 4wd gives me much more confidence on the highway when towing than the 2wd model did. I seems to me that your set up will work but I'm not sure that you've left yourself and great amount of "wiggle room" when it comes to capability and/or safety. I'm not an expert in the field of towing so take it for what it's worth. I'm not a fan of the 2.7 for towing but I'll bet it will "work". As the old saying goes, "just because you CAN do it doesn't mean you SHOULD do it" We almost got the 2500RL until we found the 2250RK and it's smaller but for our needs smaller is better. Travel Safe!
    Thanks Dave, appreciate your advice.