Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Atwood water heater element replacement

Anybody replace the water heater element in a 303rls? Please explain how you did it.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you know the problem is the element? An ohmmeter could tell you if it's burned out with the tank drained.

It could be the thermostat which is a $10-12 part. Or, it could be the electronic brain--more like a $120 part.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    Do you know the problem is the element? An ohmmeter could tell you if it's burned out with the tank drained.

It could be the thermostat which is a $10-12 part. Or, it could be the electronic brain--more like a $120 part.
    I’ve tested and or replaced everything else. Down to this having to be the problem. It appears that the water heater was put in place first, then other things, plumbing, etc. was installed after. It is too large to fit through the outdoor opening. Have the door and drawer out and, am thinking the only way to do it is to crawl in the drawer opening as much as I can and just expect a flood when I take off the hoses. Just hoping someone out there had a better solution.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are several videos on You Tube. Here is the first one I found.
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...nt+replacement

When I replaced the one in our old trailer, a special wrench was required. It was $8. No biggie. Worth it too.
    2020 Reflection 29RS 5th Wheel
    2019 GMC 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watched this video. When he gets to the part about exchanging the water heater element, he decided it was going to be too much trouble so he didn’t do it. Unfortunately, the other videos show older Atwood’s with the heating element on the outside of the trailer. Guess I’ll just have to fit myself in the bottom drawer and cabinet and be prepared to vacuum up a gallon+ of water.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had to replace the heating element on my last TT and while it wasn't a lot of fun, it's not hard. The heating element is covered by the electrical junction box at the back of the unit so you'll have to remove the box to get to it. two screws and it pops off in your hand so not a big deal. With the electrical box moved out of the way, you'll see the end of the heating element. There are two wires that you'll have to remove and you will need the special tool to remove the element. It's just an oversize socket but you'll defiantly need it. The last thing you want to do is strip the threads on the water heater and you can't reach it with anything except that socket. Once I broke the seal between the element and the heater it came out using just my fingers. Put the new one in and tighten it with the socket, replace the wires and the electrical box, and you're done. Make sure you drain as much water out of the heater as you can because what ever is left is coming out when you remove the element. In my case that was a very small amount of water and I cleaned it up with some paper towels.

Hope this helps,
    Ron
    2021 Refection 303RLS
    Last edited by Rmathews951; 10-14-2020 at 01:50 PM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Rmathews. Appreciate it. Can you tell me where you purchased the tool? What is it called?

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can get it from Amazon. Camco 09951 Professional Water Heater Element Socket

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmathews951 View Post
    You can get it from Amazon. Camco 09951 Professional Water Heater Element Socket
    Thank you. It’s on its way. Amazing that it is more expensive than the heating element. Will be for sale in two weeks as I hope I won’t make the mistake of letting my water heater run dry again.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heating elements generally only last 18-24 months depending on how much you're using it and how bad the water is where you're hooking up. In my Jayco White Hawk it was recommended to replace it at least every 24 months. The first thing I did when I got the 303RLS was check the water heater to see what I was up against when the time came to change the heating element.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast