User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

replacing 12 volt batteries with 6 volt batteries

I have 2 batteries now they are the 12 volt Deka DC27 Marine Master DeepCycle (Group 27) . I want to replace them with 2 volt batteries. My question is, would I need to change my inverter out, and would 2 6 volt batteries be the same as 2 12 volt batteries in a Solitude S-series 3350 RL -R or would I need 4 6 volt batteries
    2015 RAM 3500 Laramie Cummins Diesel ( the Black Peril ) with Pull Rite 2600 Hitch
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-CLASS 3350RL-R (NO NAME YET )

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will need 4 6-volt batteries.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two 6V batteries in series is the same as 2 12V batteries in parallel.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Look for the "Reserve Capacity" ratings for the batteries. A rough measure of "how long can they last". Middling 12v batteries can be 160, 6v at 295. But that varies from brand and type, a lot. So with 2 12v you have 320, and with 4 6v you will have about 600 (or whatever the true numbers based on the specific battery you buy will be).

No change needed for your converter. IF you go up significantly in RC, and then run the batteries down real far, your converter may try to supply more current than usual. It will also take the stock converter longer to replenish the greater amount of electricity used. My old 5th had an in-line fuse that would blow and stop charging. The cheap fix was to replace the fuse with a self resetting in-line circuit breaker. After the batteries got some charge replenished, everything was fine. But, a better converter may be smart to keep the batteries in peak condition.
    Last edited by sande005; 10-05-2020 at 11:24 AM.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tasmal View Post
    I have 2 batteries now they are the 12 volt Deka DC27 Marine Master DeepCycle (Group 27) . I want to replace them with 2 volt batteries. My question is, would I need to change my inverter out, and would 2 6 volt batteries be the same as 2 12 volt batteries in a Solitude S-series 3350 RL -R or would I need 4 6 volt batteries

You're getting a mixed bag of answers, maybe because your question "would 2 6 volt batteries be the same as 2 12 volt batteries" is a bit vague. What is the amperage rating of the batteries you have now, and what is the rating of the 6-volt batteries you're looking at buying?

The Group 27 batteries are likely rated for 110 amps or less each; usually less. A pair of them in parallel is rated for approximately 160-200 amp/hours at 12 volts.

Good deep-cycle 6-volt golf cart batteries are often rated at 200-225 amp-hours. Connect two of them in series and your system will be rated for 200-225 amp/hours at 12 volts... the same or better than the batteries you're replacing.

You therefore do NOT need four of them as someone has asserted above. The 6V batteries are generally tougher and can handle a *bit* more discharging than Group 27 batteries typically can handle.

I have been running four 6V Trojan T-105 batteries on the stock converter (WFCO 955) for nearly three years. It's not the best for them and I've probably shortened their life - they are no longer taking a charge in the high-13s as they used to do. A higher-amperage converter, especially one that can be set up to be well-matched to the 6V batteries, will almost certainly get you years more from them.

Hope this helps.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

replacing 12 volt batteries with 6 volt batteries

^
    I agree with what boyscout said above.

Plus, the “usable” capacity depends on the chemistry of the batteries. The factory lead-acid battery that came with our trailer had a useable capacity of 40 amp hours. It would have taken 10 of these to match the capacity of our 4 lithium 12v batteries.

Also, an “inverter” is completely different from a “converter”. Make sure you use the correct terminology when discussing these components or you’ll definitely get conflicting information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 10-05-2020 at 01:42 PM.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    FYI - just to clarify. "Reserve Capacity" and "Amp Hours" are two different ways to estimate the "how long will they last" question. Different ways to measure pretty much the same thing. While you can convert one to the other (like inches to centimeters), they aren't directly comparable units, so when comparing batteries, make sure you use one or the other to gauge which has more capacity.
    Replacing two 12v with only two 6v will more or less get you the same capacity you had. You will get more rugged batteries, so they should need replacing less. And they are a little better at getting discharged deeper, so you can last a little longer. But it is not a huge difference.
    Hence why others are saying to go with 4 6v - THEN you will roughly double your boondocking time.
    Last edited by sande005; 10-05-2020 at 03:24 PM.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    ...go with 4 6v - THEN you will roughly double your boondocking time.
    Or... a single 12v lithium. Which takes about 1/3 the time to charge using your generator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And a lifespan that is multiples of AGM or Flooded...

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH1031 View Post
    And a lifespan that is multiples of AGM or Flooded...
    As long as you don't try to charge them when it is cold out. Or run them completely dead just once. Or if not using for as little as a week, to remember to partially discharge them.....
    Good vendors will include circuitry to avoid the first two. The third may or may not be something they have a feature to make it easy. But storing at full charge for longer periods can greatly shorten their life.....
    Odd that it was noted to be 1/3rd the time. They are designed to be recharged fully in an hour. Of course, that takes pretty hefty inputs and wiring......
    2017 Imagine 2670MK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast