Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

draining ice maker for winter

I posted this question on another thread but it had probably run its course so didn't get many views.

Is it necessary to drain the ice maker in the res fridge for winter? The sticker in the Nautilus cabinet says to just turn the valve to off. Doesn't seem like enough to me. This is probably someplace that shouldn't get anti-freeze(?)

If draining is necessary how is it done?
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS w/disc brakes, solar
    2019 F350 Lariat 4WD LB SRW Powerstroke, Carli PinTop suspension, Firestone airbags, Hensley BD5
    1952 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door Sport Coupe, (body off resto) original 216 Stovebolt (a whopping 95 hp)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oskur d View Post
    I posted this question on another thread but it had probably run its course so didn't get many views.

Is it necessary to drain the ice maker in the res fridge for winter? The sticker in the Nautilus cabinet says to just turn the valve to off. Doesn't seem like enough to me. This is probably someplace that shouldn't get anti-freeze(?)

If draining is necessary how is it done?
    The supply line outside under the slide could be drained but I think water could still be trapped especially inside the icemaker. There is a solenoid that would stop blowing air into frig. Under the icemaker in the front of it is a test button (check your manual and maybe look under with a mirror). When the button is pushed it will dump the ice maker and refill it. What I do is while pulling anti-freeze in I push the test button a few times until I see pink, leaving ice container in place to catch what is dumping out. When I dewinterize I do the same thing with the sanitizing bleach/water from holding tank. Just keep filling/dumping until it is clear and later throw away the first few batches of ice. The anti-freeze is non toxic but..... Be sure to shut the freezer door right after pushing the test button so that dumping goes into container. Three winters for me, working fine so far.
    Rich
    Rich And Janet (no dog or cats, 8 grandkids but not with us all at once)
    Onalaska, WA
    2011 F350, 4X4, B&W hitch
    2016 Solitude 300GK

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We don't winterize since we're full-time. We have also never used the ice-maker - we prefer to use the re-freezable "ice cubes" instead and free up the ice bin for other stuff. That said, I would want to at least purge the line to the ice-maker, or at least get anti-freeze into it, so it didn't freeze and crack over the winter. I've just searched the Samsung fridge manual and can't find anything relating to this. You might consider this, however: the winterizing procedure calls for using the water pump to suck up RV antifreeze and pump it through the various water lines. With everything else close, you could turn on the fridge and ice-maker and let it cycle during this process to get antifreeze into the water line and valve for the ice-maker. Worth a try?

Rob

EDIT: @Rich T beat me to it with a better description - thanks!
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I blew out the ice-maker system with air when doing the rest of the Solitude. I pushed the button on the ice-maker while applying air pressure ( 20 lb ). Then I disconnected the union under the kitchen slide to let any more water out with air. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We cycle the icemakers until antifreeze comes out when we winterize.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How should the ice maker be handled if the coach is still in use and the temperatures are expected to be below freezing?
    2021 Solitude 375RES-R, Onan 5500 LP Gen, 7K Axles w/Disc Brakes, Cooper 17.5 H Tires
    2020 RAM 2500 Laramie 6.7L Cummins, Air Lift 7500 XL Air Bags & Compressor System
    B&W Companion Puck System Slider Hitch for Ram 20K lbs.
    Mark

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
    How should the ice maker be handled if the coach is still in use and the temperatures are expected to be below freezing?
    Depends on temps, I suppose. For me, we were out last week and it was dipping below freezing for the low, but wasn't sustained below freezing so it wasn't too much of a worry. The warning in the water bay does say to turn off ice maker line from the water bay when below freezing, but, as pointed out above, it sounds like that water line runs under the kitchen slide so could be susceptible to freezing, even if turned off.
    If I was in your shoes, I'd turn it off in the water bay, and then manually cycle in the fridge a few time to let the pressure off, and then even find the line and disconnect at the low point, if possible. (NOT the actual low point drains, mind you, I mean the low point of that specific water line, if you're able to locate it).
    Good luck, let us know how you handle it!
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ/Z71/SRW, Long bed, Anderson UH
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply and advise.

I actually called Grand Design and was advised to cut the valve off in the Wet Bay and allow the ice maker to cycle until no more ice is being made which indicates that water has been removed form the ice maker supply line by the ice maker itself. Feels like 22 degrees here in Georgia this morning. Expected to below freezing again overnight. We'll turn the ice maker valve back on when we get to Florida Wednesday and see what we have.

Thanks again...
    2021 Solitude 375RES-R, Onan 5500 LP Gen, 7K Axles w/Disc Brakes, Cooper 17.5 H Tires
    2020 RAM 2500 Laramie 6.7L Cummins, Air Lift 7500 XL Air Bags & Compressor System
    B&W Companion Puck System Slider Hitch for Ram 20K lbs.
    Mark

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you winterize the ice maker by turning the valve on and turning the ice maker on and let it cycle until a couple of pink batches are made"?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueovalman View Post
    Can you winterize the ice maker by turning the valve on and turning the ice maker on and let it cycle until a couple of pink batches are made"?
    Yes. I replied to the other thread you started with more details, re what I have been doing. Having the Samsung with ice maker adds a little extra work during winterization but we really like this frig! Lots of room, ice, stable temp.
    Rich
    Rich And Janet (no dog or cats, 8 grandkids but not with us all at once)
    Onalaska, WA
    2011 F350, 4X4, B&W hitch
    2016 Solitude 300GK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast