Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winegard GW 1000 Installation Question

Hi All,

My first post on the forum. Have a New Reflection 297TSRS Travel Trailer. Really love it.
    Have decided to install a Winegard GW 1000 router. The trailer came with the Winegard 360+ installed and pre-wired for the installation of the GW-1000.

When you take the Winegard cap off in the ceiling. There should be a power cable and the three antenna cables. My question is that the power cable is on our trailer a large loop. I don't dare pull any harder on the cable for fear of damaging one end attached to the 360+ above.

Has anyone out there experienced this?

Attached is a photo.

MauiboyClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Reflection GW 1000 Wiring.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	30002

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I am going to reply to my own post. The mysterious loop of wire turned out to be a hot 13VDC in the ceiling. The factory, with all due respect was supposed to just put down a terminated power wire. Instead this hot wire with excess wire is what appeared to be a loop. To make a long story short, I had to tap off of this wire for the power to the GW 1000 which now is installed and works very well.
    Anyone wiith further questions please contact me. It is a doable DIY project.
    Mauiboy
    2020 F250 6.7L Diesel Crewcab
    2021 Reflection 297RSTS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauiboy View Post
    Well, I am going to reply to my own post. The mysterious loop of wire turned out to be a hot 13VDC in the ceiling. The factory, with all due respect was supposed to just put down a terminated power wire. Instead this hot wire with excess wire is what appeared to be a loop. To make a long story short, I had to tap off of this wire for the power to the GW 1000 which now is installed and works very well.
    Anyone wiith further questions please contact me. It is a doable DIY project.
    Mauiboy
    Hi Mauiboy,
    I have the same pre-wire setup on my 360+ and want to go ahead with the Gateway install. Would you mind sharing more details on your install? Specifically, how did you tap into the power line, and where did you install your switch?
    Thanks

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shisa-01 View Post
    Hi Mauiboy,
    I have the same pre-wire setup on my 360+ and want to go ahead with the Gateway install. Would you mind sharing more details on your install? Specifically, how did you tap into the power line, and where did you install your switch?
    Thanks
    Hi Shisa-01,

Once I firured what was going on it was fairly easy. Winegard said we should only have found a terminated power cable, but you know you found a lot of excessive wire which was hot. It goes towards the Rear O/H. And it is on the fuse box as the 5th from the right 15 amps. Before you cut that wire remove the fuse. I located the switch to the right (looking out the left side of the coach) of where the GW 1000 will be. If you keep it close you won't need additional wire. After cutting the hole for the switch I snaked the wire to the switch and the wire back from the switch at the same time using a wire clothes hangar. At the switch, the hot wires are attached (on my coach it was the yellow side but check with a voltmeter before even starting) The common wires are hooked together just like the illustration using the provided connector. And the return wire comes back to the GW 1000. Where you twist together with wire connectors with the wire from the switch and the nine inch GW 1000 power cord and the continuing wire. Not a very good explanation but you are basically splicing to the switch then to the GW 1000 then back to the original wire. A diagram would help. All that extra wire will all you will need. Hope this helps. Mauiboy
    2021 Reflection 297RSTS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, will give it a go.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We didn't even have the loop. Trailer at dealer getting that corrected along with some smaller items under warranty.
    2019 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7L w/B&W Companion Hitch
    2021 Solitude-S 2930-RL-R

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just installed the router. I had the same power loop as described. The yellow/white wire is 12V. I tapped that by connecting the black wire from the router power harness to the white (ground) wire. I just separated the white wire, and then connected all three with the included wire nut. Then I spliced a short wire into the 12v (yellow) wire again using a wire nut and crimping the spade connector on the other end. That splice went to the switch, then the red side of the power harness to the other side of the switch. Just a note that I extended the wires from the harness about 6 inches to give myself a little more slack.

I mounted the included switch to the roof next to the unit. I'm tall so I can reach it easily and it looks neat.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Router1.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	30564

Name:	Router3.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	30565

Mauiboy did a great job of describing the process. I've included a photo and a simpler drawing of the connections (not a schematic)
    Now, the whole FW upgrades, installing a Verizon SIM card, upgrading the modem FW, setting up the account on Verizon, and activating...whew...that took a while.
    Jamie & Heidi
    2021 Reflection 150 Series 260RD
    2012 GMC 3500 Duramax

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jamie,

Good job. I had a schematic but didn't know how to post it here. My switch is just like yours and at 5' 9" I can turn it on and off too. Nice description for others who want to do an easy DIY project. I am not doing the sim card cause I have a Verizon phone with unlimited. Have been streaming to my TCL ROKU TV in the 297RSTS.

Mauiboy
    2021 Reflection 297RSTS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmbrenner View Post
    I just installed the router. I had the same power loop as described. The yellow/white wire is 12V. I tapped that by connecting the black wire from the router power harness to the white (ground) wire. I just separated the white wire, and then connected all three with the included wire nut. Then I spliced a short wire into the 12v (yellow) wire again using a wire nut and crimping the spade connector on the other end. That splice went to the switch, then the red side of the power harness to the other side of the switch. Just a note that I extended the wires from the harness about 6 inches to give myself a little more slack.

I mounted the included switch to the roof next to the unit. I'm tall so I can reach it easily and it looks neat.

Name:	Router1.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	30564

Name:	Router3.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	30565

Mauiboy did a great job of describing the process. I've included a photo and a simpler drawing of the connections (not a schematic)
    Now, the whole FW upgrades, installing a Verizon SIM card, upgrading the modem FW, setting up the account on Verizon, and activating...whew...that took a while.
    Question on Verizon SIM card. I have the card installed but can’t get through the activation process with Verizon, any tips or info would be greatly appreciated.
    Scott & Linda
    2022 390RK-R
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited DRW HO Cummins LB
    B&W Companion 3600 RVK

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ran into the same problem. You have to download the Verizon specific firmware to the router. Once you’ve done that it automatically activates.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast