User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

water leak from underbelly [need help]

Grand Design 23BHE new 2021 unit. The first 2 times camping went well. On the last time, while emptying the grey tank (the one under the sink) my wife was using water simultaneously (water pump running) when I noticed a water leak from the underbelly. I actually had to open the protective wrap to help the water out. Any idea what is going on?

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Draining the gray tank at the same time as running water in the sink should have nothing to do with the issue. Was there any water in the cabinet under the sink or just coming out of the underbelly? Can you visualize the water pump while it's running to see if that's where the leak is? (It's not uncommon to have one of the screw-on connections to the water pump come loose.) If you can't find a source of the leak above the floor, you'll need to drip the underbelly to investigate. Since your unit is new and under warranty - and if you can't find something that's obvious and quick/easy to fix - I'd take it to the dealer for warranty repair.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you! When the drop the buttom (underbelly), do the replace it all or patch it?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You put it back on, easier with a few helpers and a long 2x4 holding it up as you put the screws back in.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by velran View Post
    Thank you! When the drop the bottom (underbelly), do the replace it all or patch it?
    Gary is correct

Use a long 2x4 along the center and get the belly chloroplast up snug, Then have a good set of vice grips (wide jaw) and it is fairly easy to tug the edge holes back in place , Do not pull at a screw hole, or you will tear it out. Do a few screws on one side, then do the other side - work back and forth. Then move the 2x4 forward and repeat.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grand Design 23BHE new 2021 unit. The first 2 times camping went well. On the last time, while emptying the grey tank (the one under the sink) my wife was using water simultaneously (water pump running) when I noticed a water leak from the underbelly. I actually had to open the protective wrap to help the water out. Any idea what is going on?
    I agree with Rob.

If the fix is easy, go for it. If not, let the dealer fix it. Call them and Grand Design to get the work done in a timely manor. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone!
    Update and a question: after much effrot I still could not replicate the issue. No water leak whatsoever and the only thing I can think about is that city water was connected while I tunred on the water pump. Could that cause water to leak to the uderbelly from a crack (due to high presure...but I have presure regulator) or some sort of overflow protection?

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the pump actually runs when city water is connected you either have low pressure city water and the pump was helping it, or you have a bigger leak. To test for leaks, put 10 gallons or more in the fw tank, turn the pump on and run all the air out of the system. Once you get all the air out close all taps including outdoor shower, and leave the pump on. Now the hard part, be patient and wait. No flow should mean that the pump will stay off. If the pump comes back on in an hour or less, you have a leak....
    2021 GD Reflection 303rls
    2019 ram 2500 Crew Cab tradesman 4x4
    Autoslider 5th wheel hitch.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone!
    Update and a question: after much effrot I still could not replicate the issue. No water leak whatsoever and the only thing I can think about is that city water was connected while I tunred on the water pump. Could that cause water to leak to the uderbelly from a crack (due to high presure...but I have presure regulator) or some sort of overflow protection?
    If you had the pump on with city water on it is possible the check valve unseated. The weak link is the filter screen housing on the front of the pump, It cant take pressure. So I would inspect it for cracks and water on the floor by it.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustUs&doggo View Post
    If the pump actually runs when city water is connected you either have low pressure city water and the pump was helping it, or you have a bigger leak. To test for leaks, put 10 gallons or more in the fw tank, turn the pump on and run all the air out of the system. Once you get all the air out close all taps including outdoor shower, and leave the pump on. Now the hard part, be patient and wait. No flow should mean that the pump will stay off. If the pump comes back on in an hour or less, you have a leak....
    Thank you, I'm going to try it now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast