User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slide out supports / stands. Worth it?

I used to have a single slide out RV and did use manual crank stands. The turning mechanism was at the top which made it a bit of a challenge.

Now I have a Reflection 312 with 3 slide outs. The one in the bunk really extends out. Logically, would seem like you want some stands under it and at least the kitchen given all that weight.

Some are not expensive bit does add that much more **** I am haulin and setting up. Soliciting feedback on merits of using them.
    2020 Sierra 2500HD Denali
    Equalizer hitch (used Blue Ox before)
    Reflections 312bhts

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 303 rls and in the owners manual it states not to use slide out stabilizers. They could potentially damage the slide mechanism. I used them on our old TT without any problems, but they were a pain in the butt to set up. I haven't used any on the 303 and no problems either.
    People keep telling me to follow my dreams...so I went back to bed

2019 303rls
    2017 GMC 2500hd ccsb 2wd 6.0 gas
    Andersen ultimate rail mount hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As @avf100 noted, the GDRV owners manuals state to not use these. Hopefully you have your manual and can look through that section. If not, owners manuals are available on the GDRV site.

When one thinks about it, if the main body of the RV would shift for some reason (leveling system/stabilizer failure, ground sinking under these, etc.) the slide outs and main body of RV could have minor to major damage. Yes, the chances are remote but since the potential damage could be significant, one can see the "better safe than sorry" logic.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 303 and have never seen a need/desire for anything like this. Everything stays level and in place, after we have it set up. Our fridge is a POS, and I want to give it every opportunity and crutch to help it along, so I usually re-check for level after extending the slides, and a couple of times during the stay, and have never seen a time where these would have been needed.

I second the idea that supporting the slide, in a manner that would give a more “solid” footing could be a major issue if parked on softer ground and the trailer/fifth-wheel settles. It would settle “down” while the slide would stay “up”. Not a pretty picture in my mind. I’ve always looked at them as an answer that is really looking for a question that could go with it. I haven’t found it yet.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MachWun View Post
    I used to have a single slide out RV and did use manual crank stands. The turning mechanism was at the top which made it a bit of a challenge.

Now I have a Reflection 312 with 3 slide outs. The one in the bunk really extends out. Logically, would seem like you want some stands under it and at least the kitchen given all that weight.

Some are not expensive bit does add that much more **** I am haulin and setting up. Soliciting feedback on merits of using them.
    I researched this before getting our 2021 2970RL with two slide outs. I had never had a TT with slides so my first inclination was to use them. But after my research I determined it was best not to use them. Primarily because the owners manual says not to. I think the use of slide supports is an 'old school' method and not necessary with todays slides, especially a Schwintek which doesn't come out much at all. I believe shifting of the core trailer is the biggest risk to using slide supports. Oh yeah, did I mention the owners manual says not to use them.

But, to each his own.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree, dont use them. We lived in our Momentum for 3 years and never used them, no issues. Just because a product is made, doesnt mean it's good or required to use.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonlight View Post
    As @avf100 noted, the GDRV owners manuals state to not use these. Hopefully you have your manual and can look through that section. If not, owners manuals are available on the GDRV site.

When one thinks about it, if the main body of the RV would shift for some reason (leveling system/stabilizer failure, ground sinking under these, etc.) the slide outs and main body of RV could have minor to major damage. Yes, the chances are remote but since the potential damage could be significant, one can see the "better safe than sorry" logic.

Dan
    Regarding the bolded, I know when we've been in a site for more than a couple of days (especially gravel or dirt) the rig does settle and we need to relevel.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Agree, dont use them. We lived in our Momentum for 3 years and never used them, no issues. Just because a product is made, doesnt mean it's good or required to use.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Or, as the engineers say, “Just because you can, doesn’t meant that you should...”
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Researching it, it appears the piston is not all that far back in the underbelly. I am not an RV slide engineer and I know homes are different than an RV. But some concepts I would think apply. When you cantilever out in a home, the joist must be 2 feet within the foundation for every foot you go out. So, if it is not doing that in an RV, my next thought was around metal fatigue.

Enough are saying no that I will forgo but this was my logic in considering them.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made stands for our previous FR 5er with two slides. I had four old pop-up camper jack stands with the large nut and handles to turn the screw. I cut 2 x 6's into squares, bought 1 inch galvanized pipe flanges along with some 1 inch pipe and large washers to fit over the jack screws at Lowe's. I screwed the flanges to the 2 x 6's. After measuring the height for the middle of the jack threads, I cut the pipe to the correct length, screwed the pipes into the flanges, and painted everything black. These worked very well for that RV...

Then we got our Solitude. I used the jack stands for one trip, then realized that I may be doing damage to the slide mechanisms if the RV settled on the hydraulic jacks or if one or more jack sink further into the ground. I still have them. There are four with pairs of each of two heights. I would be agreeable to selling them cheap....
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast