User Tag List

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everything shakes when coming to a stop

Hi all, I'm really hoping someone can help.
    We took possession of a 22MLE last June and cause of Covid, we've only been out a handful of times. On our second last trip, I started noticing a really strong vibration when coming to a stop. Like the entire truck really shakes. If I ease off the brakes its not as bad but still there. I read somewhere on the web to ease off the gain. So on our last trip (2 weeks) I started paying more attention. Oh and if its just the truck, the brakes are fine. When I tow my boat, the brakes on the truck are good. From what I can see, if the TT brakes are cold, its less noticeable. When coming to a halt, the shaking is only between 30kph and 10 kph (20mph - 5mph). As for the gain, when I first got the TT, I did the gain setup adjustment with the slider bar but could never get the TT to lockup. During our last trip, I lowered the gain from 9.5 all the way to 5 and it didn't really change much. The brake controller is the built-in from Ford. We've only got around 1500 miles on the TT. Any ideas, clues?
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bummer about the shakes. Can you tell if it is the trailer brakes causing the shake or the truck’s brakes?

What happens if you just apply the trailer brakes by using the brake controller in the truck? If it shakes then it’s probably time to have the trailer brakes inspected. If not then maybe lean toward truck braking?
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Bummer about the shakes. Can you tell if it is the trailer brakes causing the shake or the truck’s brakes?

What happens if you just apply the trailer brakes by using the brake controller in the truck? If it shakes then it’s probably time to have the trailer brakes inspected. If not then maybe lean toward truck braking?
    I'm leaning towards the trailer brakes. It doesn't do it when I tow my boat (4500 lbs) or when not towing at all. The TT is at the dealer now for some warranty work. I'll check with the controller only when I get it back. I think I'll just call the dealer and have them do a brake inspection.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wondering if anyone else experienced the same thing and what the solution was.

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Replicate it when driving by someone and have them see if the trailer brakes are locking up. I had that once with a utility trailer where the brakes were REALLY strong. It hardly took any gain at all to lock them up. The truck would shake when stopping because the trailer tires were skidding along.
    2016 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
    2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB/CTD/Aisin/4.10
    2014 Polaris RZR 800EPS

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Replicate it when driving by someone and have them see if the trailer brakes are locking up. I had that once with a utility trailer where the brakes were REALLY strong. It hardly took any gain at all to lock them up. The truck would shake when stopping because the trailer tires were skidding along.
    Thanks but I can guarantee that they don't lock up. I've tried really hard.

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, make sure your wheels are torqued to spec. Next, take it out on the road and have a family member follow and look for any funny tracking or shimmying. Pull the hub drums and inspect them for roundness, a blown grease seal, bearing and race condition, and any peculiar wear. Reinstall hubdrums and verify all magnets working.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania