User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First auto level issues with Level Up

So today, at the worst time of course, I experienced my first issues with the auto level feature on my hydraulic Level Up system.

I’ve only had the unit two months (2021 Momentum 381M) and the auto level function has always worked great.

Today I moved spots at a park to a newer area of the park which was more level and a little nicer.
    Started to unhitch and get re-setup and its starts pouring rain!! So naturally now is when it decided to not work.

Once “auto level” completed it was clearly not level front to back, the nose was just about all the way dropped making the rear very high.

I hooked back up to the truck, retracted all, turned off power and back on, and tried again, same result.

Is there anything I can try besides re-calibrating it? I don’t have a level with me and unsure if I can find one near by (in the mountains).

I manually raised the front to at least look level for tonight, but I did read that the nose needs to be above level before starting auto level or it could make it not work, however I’ve done this the same way I always have. Granted that isn’t very many times but at least a dozen or more. And it did show as being 0° within level on my one control screen.

Thanks for any tips or advice you can send my way!

-Jaime
    2021 Momentum 381M (Ordered 3/6/2020, Delivered 8/27/2020)
    -- Full Body Paint, MORryde IS 7k w/ disc brakes, Gen-Y Gooseneck conversion, 3 AC, Heat Pump, Dual Pane Windows, Slide Toppers, Residential Fridge

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jamie, I might suggest to try a couple things to satisfy your worries of being a bit "off" level. Although not as accurate as a true level you can put on the floor, you can use anything that will roll. If you have a perfectly round object (such as a marble) to drop on the floor to watch the direction it rolls can give you a start. You may have to place it on the floor and give it a very slight push in several directions to test. Another simple way is to open your exterior door(s) partially & see if they "swing" on their own showing out of level. You might think about asking around the park for someone that has a level. There are probably a few old timers like me who have not only one mounted on the front, but I carry a short one in my box of tools as a backup to the backup. Kind of like wearing a belt with suspenders! Good luck

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a glass bowl or measuring cup? If so, a little water and you have a level - use the rim of the bowl or graduations on a measuring cup. Good luck!!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's also some decent levelling apps for your cell that you can download.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're confusing the nose height with the auto hitch option. The nose doesnt need to be anywhere specific for auto level, but if the nose moves up from unhitching when pressing auto level, the auto hitch feature wont work.

It would be worthwhile to make sure the camper really isnt level, using some of the methods mentioned above.

It's possible one of the level sensors became dismounted and its throwing off what the camper sees as level.

Before digging into anything, I would move the camper somewhere else and try again to see what results you have.

I would then make it level manually and do the recalibration procedure, and then try the auto level again.

If after all that, with negative results, then i would investigate the level sensors.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by FT4NOW; 10-11-2020 at 08:59 AM.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the ideas everyone!

And yes I do have a level app on my iPhone, duh! Just didn’t think about it while getting poured on in the rain haha and it was dark by then.
    But you all also have great make-shift ideas for a level as well that could come in handy!
    @FT4NOW thanks for clarifying on the nose height.

Luckily I’m in my first pull through spot so it would be easy to drive to a different spot to test, I will first try again where I am now, I want to out a level (my phone) on the frame to see how far off it really is after it auto levels and before I’ve made any adjustments.

Is checking level along the main I-Beam the best location?
    -- Full Body Paint, MORryde IS 7k w/ disc brakes, Gen-Y Gooseneck conversion, 3 AC, Heat Pump, Dual Pane Windows, Slide Toppers, Residential Fridge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a thought that came to my head from my previous experience was to make sure it was nose high (above level) before you hit the auto level.
    2020 3500 SRW GMC AT4
    2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok everyone, I did a little more testing while the rain stopped, and I had light, but ran out of time because the rain started again so will do more verification shortly.
    tldr; it may be ok and actually level

I hooked back up to the truck, just because, did a retract all, then raised the nose as usually for a standard unhitching process. I did raise it a little higher this time just in case.

Pulled the truck forward out of the way and hit auto level, it did its thing with the same result, BUT, this time without manually adjusting anything I put my iPhone level on the I-Beam main frame near the garage, it showed 0°, put it on the counter inside, showed 0° as well.

So, everything is pointing to it being level except my eyes/brain haha. My RV spot looks fairly level so I guess that’s why it threw me off with the rear looking high and the nose low.

Seeing the large gap between the rear of the RV and the ground is messing with my head lol. So it’s definitely quite possible it’s human error, as are many things in life.

When I see a break in the rain I’ll take some more measurements and some photos

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FirstAscent View Post
    Ok everyone, I did a little more testing while the rain stopped, and I had light, but ran out of time because the rain started again so will do more verification shortly.
    tldr; it may be ok and actually level

I hooked back up to the truck, just because, did a retract all, then raised the nose as usually for a standard unhitching process. I did raise it a little higher this time just in case.

Pulled the truck forward out of the way and hit auto level, it did its thing with the same result, BUT, this time without manually adjusting anything I put my iPhone level on the I-Beam main frame near the garage, it showed 0°, put it on the counter inside, showed 0° as well.

So, everything is pointing to it being level except my eyes/brain haha. My RV spot looks fairly level so I guess that’s why it threw me off with the rear looking high and the nose low.

Seeing the large gap between the rear of the RV and the ground is messing with my head lol. So it’s definitely quite possible it’s human error, as are many things in life.

When I see a break in the rain I’ll take some more measurements and some photos
    Haha, optical illusions. Glad it worked out.

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First auto level issues with Level Up

Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    Haha, optical illusions. Glad it worked out.

Yeah, it got me this time for sure haha!

I also noticed another similar size fifth wheel a few sites down, and his looked like mine with the low nose and high front so it must have just enough grade to the ground.

So I feel better now. False alarm [emoji23]

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3849.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	30111
    Last edited by FirstAscent; 10-11-2020 at 05:11 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast