Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tread wear question

I have a 2015 F350 SRW Lariat. Getting ready to snowbird again taking our Reflection 320MKS from Louisville to Jensen Beach FL - about 1000 miles.

looking at my truck tires i started wondering about tread wear and the possible need to replace. My ruler shows from 1/4" to 5/16" tread all around, with more wear in the rear tires.
    My tires are Michelin LTX LT275/65R20s with i guess 43,000 miles. We bought the truck used with 50K miles and now have 93K and since it was certified pre owned by the local Ford dealer my guess is they are new.

Tires show no wear on the sides.
    Any advise before i take it to a tire store?

Thanks!
    Eric
    Eric and Carolyn
    Louisville KY
    2015 Ford F350
    2019 Reflection 320MKS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flashcom View Post
    I have a 2015 F350 SRW Lariat. Getting ready to snowbird again taking our Reflection 320MKS from Louisville to Jensen Beach FL - about 1000 miles.

looking at my truck tires i started wondering about tread wear and the possible need to replace. My ruler shows from 1/4" to 5/16" tread all around, with more wear in the rear tires.
    My tires are Michelin LTX LT275/65R20s with i guess 43,000 miles. We bought the truck used with 50K miles and now have 93K and since it was certified pre owned by the local Ford dealer my guess is they are new.

Thanks!
    Eric
    Hi, i had an issue recently in which i had tread seperation on both rear tires, towing to GA. The tires Michelin LT275/65R20s . They were 5 years old according to the date stamp on each tire. They still had good tread left. But, upon a close visual the rubber had dried out. I was able to feel the issue while driving and pull off the highway before a catastrophic problem. Take my advice, look at the date code on the tires, look at the condition of the rubber, not just how much tread is left..

I will from now on replace any tire as it approaches 4 years manufacturing date or three years on the vehicle, which ever comes first.. And pay much more attention to the overall status of the tire(s)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4938 2.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	30114

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4937 2.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	30115

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flashcom View Post

Thanks!
    Eric
    Minimum safe tread depth on the steer axle is 4/32, and 2/32 on the drive axle. First, I would recommend buying a tread depth gauge and getting an accurate measurement. you said the tread ranged form 1/4" (8/32") to 5/16" (10/32"). Based on that you are good. Having said that, look at the DOT date code on the tires. The first two digits of the code represent the week of production during the year (from 1 to 52). The second two digits represent the year of manufacture. If the tires are 5 years old or older, I would be inclined to replace them. Best practice is to not run tires that are more than 5 years old. The rubber does deteriorate over time and may compromise the integrity of the tire. Also, look at the overall condition. Minor sun cracks are okay, but if you can see cord anywhere, the tire is done. Hope that helps...

https://www.amazon.com/Milton-S-448-.../dp/B0002STSQM

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]