User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need some general XC advice for a newbie.

We pick up our new F150 next week, the following week our new 22MLE should arrive. Never done this before.

Early December we plan to take it from Western NY to Central Florida for the winter and return in April.

We don’t plan on making campsite reservations since we will be stopping to visit friends and possibly make route and time changes due to weather.

I understand that rest areas on major highways often allow RV’s to park, for a few hours at least. I’m also aware of the Walmart option. How about just pulling off the main drag and parking at a boat launch, a roadside monument, a small airport parking lot, etc?

What is the best online site or App for researching overnight stopping locations while “on the fly”?

Thanks,

Carl

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are planning to camp in Florida in the winter without reservations?
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carlmill47 View Post

I understand that rest areas on major highways often allow RV’s to park, for a few hours at least. I’m also aware of the Walmart option. How about just pulling off the main drag and parking at a boat launch, a roadside monument, a small airport parking lot, etc?

Thanks,

Carl
    Be aware, stopping at rest stops is regulated by states. And what's allowed at one rest area may not be at the next. GENERALLY, there will be signs at each area telling you if and how long you can stop there.

Not all WalMart's allow it. GENERALLY, WalMarts that are not part of an actual mall/shopping area do allow it (but not all). It's a good idea to give them a call to see what their policy is before just showing up. Same thing with Cracker Barrel restaurants.

Personally, I wouldn't just pull off at a boat launch, roadside monument, small airport parking lot and park for the night. That's not what those places are for.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is an app called 'Rest Stops'. You can search by state and then highway, then select overnight parking in the filters. There aren't many places on the East coast that 'allow' overnight parking at a rest stop. We've done it once in North Carolina where it isnt allowed and no one bothered us. We mainly do truck stops for one night stops on the way somewhere if we dont plan on using a campground.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Up here in Canada they are getting harder and harder to find. Even some Walmarts are stopping over nights. We're looking into the Boondockers Welcome and Harvest Host. Might try one of those next year.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE