User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you can't decide whether you should invest in TPMS

For those of you who are considering adding TPMS to your trailer but are still on the fence: I left Reno Thursday morning for a 450 mile trip to Red Rock Canyon, a few miles west of Las Vegas. Before I left, I checked my tire pressure, as I always do before a trip and topped them off at 65 lbs. I check my TPMS often when I’m traveling, and, especially in 90 degree temps, the tire pressure usually rises to about 70 lbs. About 100 miles from my destination, I looked up at the monitor and saw that the rear tire on the curb side was 65 lbs when the other three were at 70 lbs. I drove another ½ hour and checked again – down to 63 lbs. I didn’t want to change a tire on the side of Rt 95 (if you’ve traveled it, you know what I’m talking about). I kept an eye out, and when it got down to 60 lbs, about 30 minutes away, I stopped and pumped it back up to 70 lbs. That got me to the campground, ending up with 65 lbs. in the tire. I changed it, and found a little tiny serrated nail in the tread. I’m sure it can be repaired, so I’m not too concerned about it – just picked it up somewhere along the way.

My point is, if you’re thinking about TPMS, don’t put if off. Without it, I imagine I would have risked a blow out or complete tire failure before I got to the campground. Also, MAKE SURE you have the proper equipment to change a tire if you need to; the correct sized deep well sockets (the spare tire nuts are a different size than the lug nuts), a breaker bar of some kind, a torque wrench capable of 120 lbs, and some type of jacking system (I carry an 8 ton bottle jack). It only took me about 20 minutes, but if I hadn’t had the equipment, I would have had to pay someone to come out and change it for me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ditto! TPMS paid for itself!

I totally agree that TPMS is an invaluable tool for RVers. See the attached photos of my recent experience while in transit from Victor, ID to Tremonton, UT. On I-15 about 11 miles south of Pocatello, the TPMS sounded the alarm that my R/R tire was leaking. I watched the monitor (on my cellphone ap) as the tire pressure slowly decreased from around 106-psi. God was looking out for us as I was approaching a scale facility & pulled in to inspect the R/R tire. The tire pressure had decreased to around 96-psi. Sure enough, I found an “allen” wrench had punctured the tread and was “whistling” as air escaped. I changed the tire & returned to Pocatello, where the tire was plugged & patched, and re-installed. I can attest to the TPMS system saving me from trailer damage & allowed me to save the tire to boot! Safe travels! -Diego
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1184C922-A37F-4E21-9524-80C462FC2C85.jpeg   F0DA75D0-F2B9-4EE5-AE36-C2525D385E83.jpeg  

2017 Ford F350 DRW 6.7L Custom Ordered
    2018 GD Solitude 310GK
    40,900+Miles
    "Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself." -Potter Stewart

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great post! Sometimes we need reminders like these to always be prepared. I never thought about a TPMS as I thought that was a feature only on autos and I didnt know they made them for RV'S. I have been considering/looking at things to jack up the trailer in the event of a flat, such as ramps, levelers, etc. Never thought about bottle jacks. I am concerned about weight since we have a 150 series Reflection. Bottle jacks weigh quite a bit. Thank you for sharing on the lug nuts for the spare, that is something I didnt know and plan on getting a socket to fit the spare. Thank you for this information!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had my TPMS about 6 months. Would not travel without it. I haven't had a critical issue yet but being able to monitor my tire temps and pressure 24/7
    gives me a piece of mind that I do not believe is a false sense of security.
    RV: 2020 Solitude 310GK - FB Paint, 300W Solar, Onan 5500 Gen, DP Windows, Samsung R-Frig, Splendide Stacked W/D.
    Tow Vehicle: 2020 3500 Silverado, DRW, HC Pkg., D-Max 6.6L Diesel, 10 Spd. Allison Trans.
    Hitch: Andersen 3220 Ult 2 With Safety Chain Package.
    Satellite: Winegard Pathway X2/Wally Rec. RV Tow Camera Rear: Furrion Sharkfin 7" Monitor.
    Autoformer/Surge Protect: Hughes 50 AMP

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TPMS and the Furion back up camera is a must for me !! As ones above said, peace of mind knowing you can monitor your tire pressure and temp right from the cab of your Truck !! Love the back up camera to show whats behind me and when passing that I have cleared the vehicle I passed.

Happy Holidays !!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have had TPMS on two 5ers. It has saved our bacon twice. I will never travel without it.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What brand are you using and did you change stems if they are the cap style?
    2020 337RLS
    2018 F350 4WD CCLB Dually Diesel
    2010 FLHTCU and 2021 Explorer
    USAF 19th SPS Veteran

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also not a bad idea to have a “quality” tire plug kit. I’ll post the brand I have later on. It was recommended to me buy a good tire shop I use. A lot of times you can plug, air up and go without removing the wheel provided you’ve not broken the bead.
    2020 Imagine 2450RL born 7/2019 Anderson hitch
    2007 Tundra 5.7 with tow package and RAS
    Both retired - still have our S&B
    US Army vet (Air Cav baby!) Gulf war combat veteran

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pulled the kit out of the toolbox. I've used the elcheapo kits you can buy just about anywhere and they did soso. I've used this one twice and it is the bomb. Heavy duty, no glue to worry about going dry on you. First lick is to the manufacture and second to Amazon, $20 cheaper at Amazon.

https://blackjacktirerepair.com/shop...air-kit-truck/

https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-JACK-TI.../dp/B00H2WS8L2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0062.jpg   IMG_0061.jpg  
    2020 Imagine 2450RL born 7/2019 Anderson hitch
    2007 Tundra 5.7 with tow package and RAS
    Both retired - still have our S&B
    US Army vet (Air Cav baby!) Gulf war combat veteran

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have Truck Technology and I do use metal stems. Tires are "G" rated and with 110 pst I believe you have to have the metal ones anyway.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast