User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sumo Springs/Shock Absorbers

Hello Everyone,

With the poor state of todays highways, we decided to add a shock absorbing upgrade. Last Thursday, we added 4-Sumo Springs to our axles. We are glad to report after 200 miles since installation, our trailer rides a lot smoother! The roll from side-to-side is much more controlled & soft, and the shock absorption is noticeable while in-transit & once we arrive at our destination stuff inside isn’t tossed around nearly as much as prior to this upgrade. The other advantage that influenced my decision was the ease of installation on your existing u-bolt spring plate. We are happy with this upgrade so far. See the attached photos. Safe travels! -Diego (Sorry about the orientation of the photos. I tried to make them right side up, but couldn’t figure it out. Maybe someone more techy than me can re-orient them.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2DEC85E8-5797-41C9-A45A-CF860EAC2AAC.jpeg 
Views:	200 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	30116Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7911EF6F-8316-4DCA-B279-279793FD35FF.jpeg 
Views:	201 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	30117Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0AEE7CFF-95B1-4710-B429-F53AABBF485C.jpeg 
Views:	188 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	30118

2017 Ford F350 DRW 6.7L Custom Ordered
    2018 GD Solitude 310GK
    40,900+Miles
    "Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself." -Potter Stewart

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gran Casita View Post
    Hello Everyone,

With the poor state of todays highways, we decided to add a shock absorbing upgrade. Last Thursday, we added 4-Sumo Springs to our axles. We are glad to report after 200 miles since installation, our trailer rides a lot smoother! The roll from side-to-side is much more controlled & soft, and the shock absorption is noticeable while in-transit & once we arrive at our destination stuff inside isn’t tossed around nearly as much as prior to this upgrade. The other advantage that influenced my decision was the ease of installation on your existing u-bolt spring plate. We are happy with this upgrade so far. See the attached photos. Safe travels! -Diego (Sorry about the orientation of the photos. I tried to make them right side up, but couldn’t figure it out. Maybe someone more techy than me can re-orient them.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2DEC85E8-5797-41C9-A45A-CF860EAC2AAC.jpeg 
Views:	200 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	30116Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7911EF6F-8316-4DCA-B279-279793FD35FF.jpeg 
Views:	201 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	30117Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0AEE7CFF-95B1-4710-B429-F53AABBF485C.jpeg 
Views:	188 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	30118
    Nice and interesting.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would love to see you update your opinion over time and miles... I just overhauled my Solitude's suspension after a spring failure due to binding by a broken bronze bushing. Installed the MORryde HD shackle kit, X-Factor on all three locations, and swapped the Equa-flex equalizers to CRE3000 in addition to the new spring. Threw on a disc brake conversion too. Still find some of the road abuse excessively harsh, and converting to IS not realistic. So I've been wondering about these and the shock kits out there.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the model number of that kit looks good.
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 344GK
    B&W Companion 25,000
    Disc Brake conversion
    3 - X-Factor
    MORryde pinbox
    2007 GMC Topkick C5500 Duramax 6.6
    1 Wife 3 Scotties

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Would love to see you update your opinion over time and miles... I just overhauled my Solitude's suspension after a spring failure due to binding by a broken bronze bushing. Installed the MORryde HD shackle kit, X-Factor on all three locations, and swapped the Equa-flex equalizers to CRE3000 in addition to the new spring. Threw on a disc brake conversion too. Still find some of the road abuse excessively harsh, and converting to IS not realistic. So I've been wondering about these and the shock kits out there.
    @geotex1, I have put about 1,000 miles on the trailer since I installed the Sumo Springs & so far I am very happy with the shock absorbing they are providing. After several trips over terrible roads, I can attest to the ride being far smoother than it was prior to this upgrade. I also noticed less "hobby-horsing" & less items being tossed about inside once we arrived at our destinations. One of the selling points for me was the Sumo Springs are a bolt-on application & did not require any welding a shock absorber would require for installation. The height of the Sumo Spring is adjustable & the instructions call for a desired 1/4" to 1/2" preload (i.e., resting against the frame compressed up to 1/2"). So the installation is similar to having an air bag above each axle spring. Hope this info helps! -Diego

2018 GD Solitude 310GK
    40,900+Miles

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scocciante View Post
    What is the model number of that kit looks good.
    @Scocciante, I installed the "Sumo Spring Blue -40" which is advertised for "Light & Medium Duty" applications. You can see what they offer at supersprings.com

Installation is extremely simple & bolts onto your existing spring's u-bolt plate. The specific part number on the springs I installed is: TSS-107-40

I am very happy with them so far. They are billed as "maintenance free," so that is a "plus" in my book. Hope this helps! -Diego

2018 GD Solitude 310GK
    40,900+Miles

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds easier than installing shocks, like I did for a TT I used to have...is it?
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandesigner View Post
    Sounds easier than installing shocks, like I did for a TT I used to have...is it?
    @Grandesigner, Absolutely easier than installing shocks. If you prefer shocks over these Sumo Springs, you will have to weld a plate to the frame where the shock would be installed & replace the spring u-bolt plate with a plate that incorporates a stud for the lower end of the shock. So this upgrade was far more straightforward & truly "bolt-on" as advertised. -Diego

2018 GD Solitude 310GK
    40,900+Miles

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I Just installed my own set of SumoSprings on my Imagine XLS 24mpr. I have previously put a pair of sumosprings on my Ram 1500. Those springs do great in the truck. I added the springs on the trailer because I was worried about the roads (especially in Louisiana) like Gran Casita. I drove 3 1/2 hours on them yesterday passing over some terrible under construction roads. I have to say that the springs significantly reduced chucking of the trailer. I also noticed a better ride in my TV. I am very pleased. The real test will come when I drive to my preferred fishing spot. The last time I went there I had to drive about 45 (on a 70MPH hwy) because of the amount of chucking caused by the concrete roadway. I plan to go there a lot so it is my benchmark.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pater C View Post
    I Just installed my own set of SumoSprings on my Imagine XLS 24mpr. I have previously put a pair of sumosprings on my Ram 1500. Those springs do great in the truck. I added the springs on the trailer because I was worried about the roads (especially in Louisiana) like Gran Casita. I drove 3 1/2 hours on them yesterday passing over some terrible under construction roads. I have to say that the springs significantly reduced chucking of the trailer. I also noticed a better ride in my TV. I am very pleased. The real test will come when I drive to my preferred fishing spot. The last time I went there I had to drive about 45 (on a 70MPH hwy) because of the amount of chucking caused by the concrete roadway. I plan to go there a lot so it is my benchmark.
    Thanks for the update. I’m happy with the Sumo springs on my truck and saw these trailer sumo springs awhile back but wasn’t sure of the benefit for an XLS trailer. I may look more into them now and check the ease of install as mentioned by @Gran Casita
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast