User Tag List

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DECelt View Post
    And that is the million dollar question. I looked at Slipper springs with shocks and that looks like more work than I want to do. The roadmaster comfort ride looks interesting but I need to spend more time looking. I'll continue to evaluate on this two month journey...maybe good enough is ok.
    I'm not having chucking or proposing issues, just lots of movement in the cabinets etc.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
    Another couple long days on bad roads...the Sumo springs most definitely help, but just are not as good as shocks on the back of a trailer. If I was going to do it again, and considering the cost isn't much more, I would add shocks. But maybe I'll just stay with good enough for now.

DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK
    2022 Ram 3500 CCLB diesel

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still happy with the Sumo Springs so far & don't see any need to switch to Shock Absorbers. I went without anything for 1000's of miles & experienced broken/cracked equalizers & spring hanger bolts loosening & nearly falling off. Since then, I have upgraded to MORryde CRE3000 equalizers, an X-Factor Spring Hanger Crossmember & Heavy Duty Shackles/Wet Bolts. The Sumo Springs were the latest upgrade & rounded-off my suspension upgrades. I feel like our rig is locked-in to a sweet spot right now & don't foresee any further upgrades at the moment. Of course if "money was no object" I would look at upgrading to disc brakes. Thanks for everyone's input. Safe travels! -Diego

2017 Ford F350 DRW 6.7L Custom Ordered
    2018 GD Solitude 310GK
    40,900+Miles
    "Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself." -Potter Stewart

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The labor on the sumos vs. shocks is night and day for the diy'er. A good 90% solution in my book. The sumos are bolt on vs. drilling into the frame, which is no joke. Better have very good bits and drills...
    Last edited by Grandesigner; 07-28-2021 at 08:17 AM.
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandesigner View Post
    The labor on the sumos vs. shocks is night and day for the diy'er. A good 90% solution in my book.
    Honestly, it's not a bad install at all for the shocks, and I am now experienced in installing both. The drilling for the shocks is where everyone gets uneasy, but now dragging nearly identical 5ers over the same stretch of mine field - err, PA mountain roads - having gone with the shocks was definitely the better decision on our 5er.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Honestly, it's not a bad install at all for the shocks, and I am now experienced in installing both. The drilling for the shocks is where everyone gets uneasy, but now dragging nearly identical 5ers over the same stretch of mine field - err, PA mountain roads - having gone with the shocks was definitely the better decision on our 5er.
    It sounds like you have a new profession! [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    It sounds like you have a new profession! [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    After the past 18 mos in my profession, it doesn't sound so bad being a "professional camper upfitter!" LOL!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sumo Springs/Shock Absorbers

Are these the same sumo springs you would install on a truck?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Similar in concept, different in application...
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a set of Roadmaster Comfort Ride Shock Absorbers (RM-2460) installed on our 2021 Grand Design Solitude 3740BH and the towing experience was greatly improved! I called around a few shops and each quoted about 4 hours of labor. We took our RV out on a 2500 mile trip after the install and I don't think I'll ever tow another RV without shocks again. I also changed the basic pin box for a MORryde RPB72-1621HD-05 Rubber Pin Box to help with the chucking and it helped too. The local shop charged 1 hour labor to install it.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DECelt View Post
    Another couple long days on bad roads...the Sumo springs most definitely help, but just are not as good as shocks on the back of a trailer. If I was going to do it again, and considering the cost isn't much more, I would add shocks. But maybe I'll just stay with good enough for now.

Update....after several thousand more miles. I would say that I am satisfied...very satisfied...with the Sumos. Not as effective at oscillation control as shocks...but also easier to install and less out of pocket. All in all, a very big improvement...and enough of an improvement to not need to look any further. I have changed my mind....all things considered, I would do the Sumo springs again. [emoji41]

DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK
    2022 Ram 3500 CCLB diesel

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast