User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In CA, if your trailer (towable) is more than 10k you need non commercial class a, same for any drivable over 26k.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    In CA, if your trailer (towable) is more than 10k you need non commercial class a, same for any drivable over 26k.
    Actually that's not quite true. In CA, if you're tow vehicle is under 26k lbs GVWR and you are towing a Fifth Wheel 10k - 15k lbs GVWR, then you need an endorsement on your California Class C DL known as "Restriction 41". This is what is printed on the back of my class C DL. You go into the DMV and take a simple written test and eye exam. That's it.

If you're fifth wheel is over 15k lbs GVWR, then you are required to obtain a Non-Commercial Class A driver's license. This is not the same thing as the full on commercial Class A. However to obtain this test, you have to go to a commercial DMV testing site with the trailer you intend to tow, and then test with that trailer. You must be able to back it up and put it into a parallel parking space box. You'll also have to perform a dock test. Then you'll have to go on a driving test. Oh, and one of the toughest parts is at the beginning of the test, you MUST go around the truck and trailer and point out all the relevant safety systems and perform and demonstrate that you are able to perform a safety check. This is not an easy test.

Where it does get a little confusing is, if you read the chart that the California DMV prints up in their handbook, with a class C license you are able drive a two axle vehicle with a GVWR (not a combined GVWR) of 26k lbs, and tow a fifth wheel 10k - 15k lbs GVWR with the Restriction 41 permit. So you could theoretically have a 14k lbs GVWR truck towing a 14k lbs GVWR fifth wheel for a CGVWR of 28k lbs, and still be fine with the California Restriction 41 permit. But that puts you over the FEDERAL CGVWR limit of 26k lbs, for which you need a commercial driver's license.

Here's the chart:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	license requirements.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	30209Click image for larger version. 

ID:	30209
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Actually that's not quite true. In CA, if you're tow vehicle is under 26k lbs GVWR and you are towing a Fifth Wheel 10k - 15k lbs GVWR, then you need an endorsement on your California Class C DL known as "Restriction 41". This is what is printed on the back of my class C DL. You go into the DMV and take a simple written test and eye exam. That's it.

If you're fifth wheel is over 15k lbs GVWR, then you are required to obtain a Non-Commercial Class A driver's license. This is not the same thing as the full on commercial Class A. However to obtain this test, you have to go to a commercial DMV testing site with the trailer you intend to tow, and then test with that trailer. You must be able to back it up and put it into a parallel parking space box. You'll also have to perform a dock test. Then you'll have to go on a driving test. Oh, and one of the toughest parts is at the beginning of the test, you MUST go around the truck and trailer and point out all the relevant safety systems and perform and demonstrate that you are able to perform a safety check. This is not an easy test.

Where it does get a little confusing is, if you read the chart that the California DMV prints up in their handbook, with a class C license you are able drive a two axle vehicle with a GVWR (not a combined GVWR) of 26k lbs, and tow a fifth wheel 10k - 15k lbs GVWR with the Restriction 41 permit. So you could theoretically have a 14k lbs GVWR truck towing a 14k lbs GVWR fifth wheel for a CGVWR of 28k lbs, and still be fine with the California Restriction 41 permit. But that puts you over the FEDERAL CGVWR limit of 26k lbs, for which you need a commercial driver's license.

Here's the chart:
    Click image for larger version. 

ID:	30209Click image for larger version. 

ID:	30209
    From California DMV

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/handbo...cense-classes/

You are correct regarding 5th wheel. Travel Trailer is restricted to 10k without endorsement.

Excerpted from that document.
    You may tow a:

Single vehicle with a GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or less, including a tow dolly, if used.

With a vehicle weighing 4,000 lbs. or more unladen, you may tow a:

Trailer coach or fifth-wheel travel trailer under 10,000 lbs. GVWR when towing is not for compensation.

Fifth-wheel travel trailer exceeding 10,000 lbs. but under 15,000 lbs. GVWR, when towing is not for compensation, and with endorsement.

A farmer or employee of a farmer may drive:

Any combination of vehicles with a GVWR of 26,000 lbs. or less, if used exclusively in agricultural operations and not for hire or compensation.
    Last edited by Redapple63; 10-18-2020 at 02:31 PM.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cenerus View Post
    For me, I always try and follow the law. If the law here in Texas says you need an exempt class A license to pull an RV bigger than 26k GCVW, then I’ll get that license....
    I'm a little late on this. It is not difficult at all to obtain the Class A non-commercial here in Texas. Many officers aren't aware of it and fewer citizens are aware of it. If your current or future rig is/will be over 26k, then you can get the Class A, but your class C will be fine in the meantime. Currently, I don't know if they are doing testing because of COVID and not every DL office offers commercial license testing. I currently have a B and have to go in person to renew and it is not bad. But in my county, the DL office is never packed to the gills with people. The written test is easy but you will need to study the related chapter. The driving is where your likely to have some issues. You will be asked to do one of 3 maneuvers before you actually drive; backup in a straight line, execute a lane change while backing or the parallel park. I have only parallel parked my rig once in my lifetime and thought I would never have do to but it went smooth OR I just got lucky. So practice those 3 and the rest should be a breeze. Be prepared to take a whole day off work for the written test and another for the driving.

When you travel out of state with a Class C with a rig over 26k, only a DOT state trooper/police is more likely to cite for having the wrong class license for your GCVW. I am sure its happened but I haven't heard of anyone in Texas being cited for having the wrong class license for a fifth wheel rig while in Texas. Every state has their own classification for a DL and only 4 or 5 are not part of the compact that recognizes other state's DL regulations. And yes, I will be obtaining my non-commercial class A in the near future.
    2019 Momentum 351M, Disc Brakes, Roadmaster Slipper Springs/shocks
    2018 F-450 Ruby Red
    B&W 25K Hitch
    2015 H-D Road Glide CVO / B&W Biker Bar

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    How does my well within limits F450 in anyway change this situation? Guess what, if I mow someone down, I'll be in court too, and hoping my limits don't run out. The insane focus on the sticker as the determining factor in "sued or not" is crazy; you hit someone, overweight or under, you're getting sued. You hurt them badly, you're getting sued for a lot. The situation isn't "sued or not" it's ACCIDENT or not. If you're coming down a mountain, your brakes give out on your 250 towing a 21K trailer and you plow into a school bus, guess what? You're getting sued. Come down that same hill in with a semi towing the same trailer playing Words With Friends and forget to hit the brakes, yup, still getting sued. The way NOT to get sued is to avoid the accident, which is why "buying safety" (heavier truck, more wheels, better brakes, etc) makes sense to me, where buying stickers (higher GVWR on a 350 vs a 250) does not. Will it help you avoid an accident? If so, it's worth it to me, if not, no, it's not. Can we contrive a situation where the "sticker might matter" in getting sued or not? Maybe we can, I struggle to think of one, but I'm sure it's out there. But people get way too "CSI: Miami" on all this, where, in nearly every accident I've ever seen, there's no computer recreation or sweep up the debris and weighing them. Person A rear ended person B. Person A failed to yield. And in situations like this, overweight or under, bald tires or new, failing wheel bearing; loose lug nuts, or the 10 million other things that could be pointed at don't matter because the person you hit at the stop light, their bald tires have NOTHING to do with the accident at all. It not an "automatic at fault" if you're breaking the law and are in an accident; if it were, every pile up on the interstate, everyone would be at fault because they were all, or mostly all, breaking the speed limit at the time of the pile up. Or TXTing, or doing their hair, or the millions of other things people do, all illegal, while driving their car/trucks.

I firmly believe you should have the right vehicle and the most safety you can afford. I traded a truck that was 2 months old I believe it so much, taking a significant financial hit in the process. Is the 450 safer than the 250 towing my rig. Undoubtedly. Does it insulate me from fault in an accident? Not even a little bit. I fully support people going up in size to get a truck that can tow their rig effectively, but I do not at all support fear mongering that your insurance won't cover you.

That said, to your point, no matter what your towing with, you really do need to think about the liability of damages you could cause. Get an umbrella policy, they are cheap, and, god forbid the worst happens, they take your limits way up. I'd spend the money on that before selling a 250 to buy a 350SRW just to get a new set of stickers, that's for sure.
    This is a great post, and much needed. I am a commercial driver after spending many years in the insurance business. If you are driving out of class and have an accident, the insurance company is still going to pay what they would if you were totally legal. If they thought you were being totally reckless and likely to continue, they MIGHT decide not to renew you down the road. But in the mean time you are totally covered. The commercial driver voice in me agrees with having the proper equipment to reduce the chance of having said accident.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234