User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    passengers, hitch, food, clothes, tools, water, camp chairs, tables, BBQs, patio mat, cleaning supplies, hoses, power cords, decorating doo-dads (flamingos, solar lights, etc), stuff in the bathroom cabinets, plates, glasses, silverware, pots & pans, (truck) fuel, generator, propane, batteries, books, games, and on and on.....
    I was just referring to the things in the truck that reduce available payload.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What stuck out to me on your post was "we realize we have something of a once in a lifetime opportunity." I agree with that, so my advice would be to do it right. Go with the F350 SRW Diesel, which is going to give you so much more flexibility on not just camper selection but also 4 bikes, 2 kayaks, and all that outdoors gear. I just don't think a spec'd out F150 is going to cut the mustard for a year on the road with the trailer and gear that you are talking about.

We went with a large TT (Imagine 3250BH) instead of the 5th Wheel because the floorplan was a great fit and we liked the size. You asked about the TT vs. 5th, one thing I would point out is that if you are toting a lot of outdoor gear the TT will free up the bed of the truck for you to haul stuff in it. That was one of the deciding factors for us.

Good luck!

Matt & Michelle
    Tennessee
    2021 Imagine 3250BH
    2020 Ford F250 6.7L

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello and welcome! My family and I are relatively new to RV'ing but we did purchase a 2400BH in Feb and I have been towing it with a 2015 half-ton silverado. We are weekend warriors so we tend to travel rather light and after taking it to the scales, our limiting factor was GVWR. (We are a family of 4, kids are 4 and 7) with a WDH total truck weight was 7060# leaving us with 140# of cushion. Not to mention getting 4mpg @70mph with the rpm in the 3K range it just wasn't ideal. I have taken the leap and upgraded to a 3/4 ton but have not yet towed to give you an opinion on how much better this new truck is. Just my 2 cents but I wish you and your family the best of luck on your decision!!!!!
    Last edited by Tgunter5; 10-22-2020 at 06:53 AM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theroadcalls View Post
    Thanks everyone! I wasn't expecting the consensus about a 350...I figured I would get a push to a 250 though I always buy lightly used...I shoot for <60K miles. A glance at Carmax looks like 250/350 are very similar in price (Lariat), and close to $10K more than a Lariat FX4 F150. When we return from our year about, I'll use the truck as a daily driver...though I don't drive much honestly...I do like how my 350 class C drives...but that's an 11K pound unit...no doubt the 350 truck will be much more bumpy.

The F150s I have seen have a 2080 payload (carmax specs) and I figured with a 1,200 tongue weight (2800BH) that would give me 800-900 lbs. of CC in the truck...but I must be missing something that you all are seeing. I have also heard that a 32' trailer is too much of a sail for a 1/2 ton truck to handle side winds with...but is a 250/350 so much heavier that it does a much better job?
    Carmax is likely listing a max payload from Ford’s site for that truck. Every single option will subtract from that number. Most Lariats I have seen are in the 1700 range, or lower. It can be done with a 2400 but as someone mentioned, better to just go bigger and be more comfortable.

I suspect the big difference in price is the diesel motor. Which is a $10k option. You could also consider a gas 250/350, but I suspect once you drive the diesel with a trailer, you wouldn’t want to go back.

I drive a similar truck to what you are after, and also got mine at CarMax. I’m just an XLT though, Lariats are heavier especially if they have the tailgate step or sunroof (I have neither). It lists payload as 1807lbs. With bed cover and a few tools it scales at 5345#, nobody in the cab. So that leaves 1655 actual payload to the 7000# GVW. Just for reference. The 18+ trucks are a little different, but not by much. Mine will do 1100 max on the hitch as well, per the label on the hitch.
    Last edited by Stealth13777; 10-21-2020 at 04:09 PM.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you go with a f250 in the stx package, new they are about 43k....and the stx gives you a nice looking truck. A f150 Lariat.....probably in the 52 to 55k depending on package you choose. In a year, you say you wont drive much.....so a 14mpg f250 compared to a 17mpg f150 isn't going to matter much. And yes, the 250s are alot more truck....and a 350 is even more truck.
    The 250 will be my next one....but I only weekend camp and am new to the whole rv deal, but I do know that each size up....is a difference.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn't expecting the consensus about a 350....

I figured with a 1,200 tongue weight (2800BH) that would give me 800-900 lbs. of CC in the truck...but I must be missing something that you all are seeing. I have also heard that a 32' trailer is too much of a sail for a 1/2 ton truck to handle side winds with...but is a 250/350 so much heavier that it does a much better job?
    First item - look at the specs. Payload is maybe a couple 100 more moving from a 250 to a 350. At least when I was looking at the 2020s (note the 2021 F150 has ability to carry and pull like many 3/4 ton trucks). There was a post some time back about this topic and a lot of people pushed for a full ton truck. I didn't see justification in the cost as it was $9000 more, got me 500 more payload and 400 more tow. The current Sierra can tow up to 33,000lbs. But you need the right rear axle, 2 wheel drive, and regular cab. Once I moved to Crew cab (A must with my 2kids, 3 dogs...oh yeah, and the wife) the differences fade away.

Next item - I had a 2800. Empty rig tongue was just over 700lbs. With electrical cords, chairs, grill, ... few hundred lbs in the storage, loaded fridge, and the rest of stuff you haul on the cab, tongue was pushing 900 per the scale. I WAS pulling it with a Sierra 1500 using a Blue Ox (Equalizer is as good). What I did like with the Ox is, I went up a chain link when it was going to be windy. It was a noticeable with wind gusts but I when I kept it around 66, it was fine. I got rid of the 1500 because of the payload of the truck. I With all the bodies, no gear in the truck anywhere, and the tongue weight, I was about 100 lbs from the limit. I had plenty of towing power left. She made it up about the steepest grade you can face on a highway and maintained. But it is my family and I was not going to risk a blowout or other safety issue by pushing the payload. I opt for 15-20% buffer in a worst case scenario. My payload was 1700 and is 3450 in my 2500. The switch to the 2500 saw a bit more 'this is a truck' feel (not so good when empty compared to the 1500). But love it when towing. Then I switched to the Reflection 312BH and honestly, I do not notice I picked up about 2500 more lbs.

I would get the most you can payload for sure. As for the choice of rig...we really liked our 2800bh, but it was just a bit small living area (kitchen and dining/loveseat). The kids have their own room in the 312 and with opposing slides...no one is stepping on each other. And we only spend weekends and 2-3 week stretches...

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MemphisRebel82 View Post
    What stuck out to me on your post was "we realize we have something of a once in a lifetime opportunity." I agree with that, so my advice would be to do it right. Go with the F350 SRW Diesel, which is going to give you so much more flexibility on not just camper selection but also 4 bikes, 2 kayaks, and all that outdoors gear. I just don't think a spec'd out F150 is going to cut the mustard for a year on the road with the trailer and gear that you are talking about.

We went with a large TT (Imagine 3250BH) instead of the 5th Wheel because the floorplan was a great fit and we liked the size. You asked about the TT vs. 5th, one thing I would point out is that if you are toting a lot of outdoor gear the TT will free up the bed of the truck for you to haul stuff in it. That was one of the deciding factors for us.

Good luck!
    You summed it up well I think...we've resolved ourselves to get a 350 to give us the most options for the trailer. I am leaning towards gas as our plan is to drive to a location (AZ, FL, CO etc.) and stay in one spot for a couple of weeks at a time...so most driving will just be in the truck. I figure I can just deal with the hitched up hill climbs when I need to...it's a small percentage of the overall miles.

Curious...why the 3250BH over a 312BH? We've more or less narrowed down our search to the 312TT, 31MB 5th and a Winnie Plus 29BH 5th. I like the idea of the maneuverability and slightly shorter length of the 5vers...but I love the idea of keeping the cargo free in the truck bed with a TT. Do you find the 37' length of the TT to be a challenge to park and set up? Obviously that length isn't going to be great for State and National parks...but do you find some nice spots to work ok with it?

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MachWun View Post
    First item - look at the specs. Payload is maybe a couple 100 more moving from a 250 to a 350. At least when I was looking at the 2020s (note the 2021 F150 has ability to carry and pull like many 3/4 ton trucks). There was a post some time back about this topic and a lot of people pushed for a full ton truck. I didn't see justification in the cost as it was $9000 more, got me 500 more payload and 400 more tow. The current Sierra can tow up to 33,000lbs. But you need the right rear axle, 2 wheel drive, and regular cab. Once I moved to Crew cab (A must with my 2kids, 3 dogs...oh yeah, and the wife) the differences fade away.

Next item - I had a 2800. Empty rig tongue was just over 700lbs. With electrical cords, chairs, grill, ... few hundred lbs in the storage, loaded fridge, and the rest of stuff you haul on the cab, tongue was pushing 900 per the scale. I WAS pulling it with a Sierra 1500 using a Blue Ox (Equalizer is as good). What I did like with the Ox is, I went up a chain link when it was going to be windy. It was a noticeable with wind gusts but I when I kept it around 66, it was fine. I got rid of the 1500 because of the payload of the truck. I With all the bodies, no gear in the truck anywhere, and the tongue weight, I was about 100 lbs from the limit. I had plenty of towing power left. She made it up about the steepest grade you can face on a highway and maintained. But it is my family and I was not going to risk a blowout or other safety issue by pushing the payload. I opt for 15-20% buffer in a worst case scenario. My payload was 1700 and is 3450 in my 2500. The switch to the 2500 saw a bit more 'this is a truck' feel (not so good when empty compared to the 1500). But love it when towing. Then I switched to the Reflection 312BH and honestly, I do not notice I picked up about 2500 more lbs.

I would get the most you can payload for sure. As for the choice of rig...we really liked our 2800bh, but it was just a bit small living area (kitchen and dining/loveseat). The kids have their own room in the 312 and with opposing slides...no one is stepping on each other. And we only spend weekends and 2-3 week stretches...
    We had the exact same concern with the 2800BH...it's not much different than our current motorhome and we've done a couple 1 month and 2 month trips in and the lack of space / stepping on each other gets old!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You summed it up well I think...we've resolved ourselves to get a 350 to give us the most options for the trailer. I am leaning towards gas as our plan is to drive to a location (AZ, FL, CO etc.) and stay in one spot for a couple of weeks at a time...so most driving will just be in the truck. I figure I can just deal with the hitched up hill climbs when I need to...it's a small percentage of the overall miles.

Curious...why the 3250BH over a 312BH? We've more or less narrowed down our search to the 312TT, 31MB 5th and a Winnie Plus 29BH 5th. I like the idea of the maneuverability and slightly shorter length of the 5vers...but I love the idea of keeping the cargo free in the truck bed with a TT. Do you find the 37' length of the TT to be a challenge to park and set up? Obviously that length isn't going to be great for State and National parks...but do you find some nice spots to work ok with it?
    We went with the 3250BH because of availability and our intended use - it was there, we loved the floor plan, and we snatched it up. The 312BH Reflection is an incredible trailer, very similar layout. If we were going to live it in a year, I would go with it over our Imagine. However our max trip length is about 2 weeks so it made sense for us. If you are getting the F350 it would handle both with ease.

To be honest, the 37' length is so much easier than I thought it would be. I was really nervous about maneuvering it and especially backing it up into sites. My wife and I bought a 10 pack of orange cones and took it to an abandoned parking lot and I did about 20 back-ins and we developed our own vocabulary and communication. Since then we have gotten it where we want it on the first try every time. When possible I use Google Earth to check my route before a trip so I am comfortable with the route, and we fill up in the truck lanes at truck stops (benefit of the diesel). It is just a different approach to driving - if it is not there don't force it, better to go the long way and not damage your rig. The only thing that gives me pause is a tight right turn from a 2 lane road onto a 2 lane road with cars all around - if that is the case I keep going straight and loop around to come at it from another angle if possible. We have had no trouble with state parks and COE campgrounds. I know we will be limited on National parks and intend to just plan around that with other campgrounds. Good luck!

Matt & Michelle
    Tennessee
    2021 Imagine 3250BH
    2020 Ford F250 6.7L

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MemphisRebel82 View Post
    We went with the 3250BH because of availability and our intended use - it was there, we loved the floor plan, and we snatched it up. The 312BH Reflection is an incredible trailer, very similar layout. If we were going to live it in a year, I would go with it over our Imagine. However our max trip length is about 2 weeks so it made sense for us. If you are getting the F350 it would handle both with ease.

To be honest, the 37' length is so much easier than I thought it would be. I was really nervous about maneuvering it and especially backing it up into sites. My wife and I bought a 10 pack of orange cones and took it to an abandoned parking lot and I did about 20 back-ins and we developed our own vocabulary and communication. Since then we have gotten it where we want it on the first try every time. When possible I use Google Earth to check my route before a trip so I am comfortable with the route, and we fill up in the truck lanes at truck stops (benefit of the diesel). It is just a different approach to driving - if it is not there don't force it, better to go the long way and not damage your rig. The only thing that gives me pause is a tight right turn from a 2 lane road onto a 2 lane road with cars all around - if that is the case I keep going straight and loop around to come at it from another angle if possible. We have had no trouble with state parks and COE campgrounds. I know we will be limited on National parks and intend to just plan around that with other campgrounds. Good luck!
    Nice! And I see you're from Tennessee...we've never been there, by I intend to stay for about a month in and around the GSMNP. Any suggestions on where to stay? We are debating just finding a spot as close to Asheville NC as we can for a month and play on the weekends...or splitting our time with Pigeon Forge or Gaitlinburg. No matter where, I have to be around strong cellular signal for M-F work

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast