User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Year on the Road - Recommendations

Lots of questions coming so I will start with context. Early 40's couple with two tweenage kids. We started RV'ng w/ a 22'TT & Dodge Dakota, moved to a Pop Up Tent trailer when we traded the Dodge for a Honda Pilot. Last year, we bought a Winnebago 25J class C. We've done several 1 month long trips over the years, and last year we took a two month sabbatical in the Class C and toured all over the west. With covid, I am 100% work from home and my wife is homeschooling the kids (their school was a total mess!). Carpe diem...we realize that we have something of a once in a lifetime opportunity...spend next year teleworking and homeschooling from the road.

We're thinking about renting out our house for a year and traveling the country. Our goal is to go deep in a few regions and spend some real time (1-2 months each) playing is some places we would love to see...Sedona, Florida proper, The Smokies, upper Michigan, Colorado, Vermont. I am thinking that our Class C is a little too small (25', no slides) and would like to switch to a bigger TT or 5th wheel so we have a truck to drive around and explore with...also to carry the 4 mountain bikes and 2 double kayaks...

I am looking at F-150s w/ the V8 and 2080 payload + 11,500 tow capacity. Wondering if you all think we could tow a 2400BH or 2800BH with a fairly loaded truck. I'd love to stick with an F150 for the cost savings, but I will consider a 250 and going with a larger Reflection bunkhouse TT, or a 1/2 Reflection 5th wheel bunkhouse. Can I get away with the 150, or do I really need to step it up to the 250...which also opens a bunch of options?

Anyone towing a 5th with 4 bikes and two kayaks? Not sure on an optimal way to carry that.

Thoughts on overall livability of a large TT vs. a smaller 5th? I will work all day from the RV, but we play hard on nights and weekends...very outdoors oriented family.

Thoughts on work from the road and WiFi? I will get a Verizon mobile hotspot, cell signal booster and wifi booster as well...any great locations that have strong signal in beautiful places?

Last...any most see locations that are worth spending minimum 2 weeks at? We prefer stay and play rather than driving constantly. Paddling, hiking, fly fishing, surfing, mountain biking, reading/hammock time & normally food touring / cute downtowns.

And thanks so much in advance!

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With two teens and gear, I think you're going to be hard pressed to tow any trailer that's big enough to be comfortable. Especially if you spec a F150 with a lot of luxury options, the payload just isn't going to be there. I've always felt it's much safer and less stressful to tow at far less than the max capacity of your truck. F150's are not that much cheaper than a F250/F350 if you option them out similarly. Consider buying a used truck?

Quote Originally Posted by theroadcalls View Post
    Lots of questions coming so I will start with context. Early 40's couple with two tweenage kids. We started RV'ng w/ a 22'TT & Dodge Dakota, moved to a Pop Up Tent trailer when we traded the Dodge for a Honda Pilot. Last year, we bought a Winnebago 25J class C. We've done several 1 month long trips over the years, and last year we took a two month sabbatical in the Class C and toured all over the west. With covid, I am 100% work from home and my wife is homeschooling the kids (their school was a total mess!). Carpe diem...we realize that we have something of a once in a lifetime opportunity...spend next year teleworking and homeschooling from the road.

We're thinking about renting out our house for a year and traveling the country. Our goal is to go deep in a few regions and spend some real time (1-2 months each) playing is some places we would love to see...Sedona, Florida proper, The Smokies, upper Michigan, Colorado, Vermont. I am thinking that our Class C is a little too small (25', no slides) and would like to switch to a bigger TT or 5th wheel so we have a truck to drive around and explore with...also to carry the 4 mountain bikes and 2 double kayaks...

I am looking at F-150s w/ the V8 and 2080 payload + 11,500 tow capacity. Wondering if you all think we could tow a 2400BH or 2800BH with a fairly loaded truck. I'd love to stick with an F150 for the cost savings, but I will consider a 250 and going with a larger Reflection bunkhouse TT, or a 1/2 Reflection 5th wheel bunkhouse. Can I get away with the 150, or do I really need to step it up to the 250...which also opens a bunch of options?

Anyone towing a 5th with 4 bikes and two kayaks? Not sure on an optimal way to carry that.

Thoughts on overall livability of a large TT vs. a smaller 5th? I will work all day from the RV, but we play hard on nights and weekends...very outdoors oriented family.

Thoughts on work from the road and WiFi? I will get a Verizon mobile hotspot, cell signal booster and wifi booster as well...any great locations that have strong signal in beautiful places?

Last...any most see locations that are worth spending minimum 2 weeks at? We prefer stay and play rather than driving constantly. Paddling, hiking, fly fishing, surfing, mountain biking, reading/hammock time & normally food touring / cute downtowns.

And thanks so much in advance!
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello and welcome to the forum!

When it comes to towing RV's, it's all about the payload rating of the truck- and an F-150 doesn't have enough for anything but small trailers. The F-250 doesn't have much more payload than the F-150 - especially if you get a diesel. If you want to tow a decent sized RV and carry bikes, kayaks, four people and all your stuff for full timing, get an F-350. Comparably equipped, it will have 1,000lbs more payload available as compared to an F-250. An F-350 (SRW) will also allow you to get a 5th wheel up to around 15,000lbs.

Get the right truck first then shop for whichever trailer/5th wheel you like.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No half-ton is going to fit those needs: the size of the family, the cargo needed for that kind of time on the road, the terrain you want to cover... it won't add up no matter what the salesman tells you! I've been camping all my life and have gone through progressive upgrades and I would not full-time in anything less than a 1-ton truck and a 5er or a Class A with a road.

There is no better way to learn than by immersion. Follow the various history trails and you'll not only help the kids' learning but see some amazing things! Good luck with your decision making!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this is a Grand Design forum, but if you want to really explore and get off the beaten path, I'd look at a Black Series off road camper. The suspension on these things can really take a beating and they have massive ground clearance. The dealers can outfit it with a McHitch that allows all sorts of crazy angles when towing a travel trailer. The HQ17 has bunk beds and comes with solar panels. You could go totally off grid provided you bring enough water along. You could probably tow the thing with a Toyota Tundra.

https://www.blackseriescamper.com/tr...lers/hq17.html

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone! I wasn't expecting the consensus about a 350...I figured I would get a push to a 250 though I always buy lightly used...I shoot for <60K miles. A glance at Carmax looks like 250/350 are very similar in price (Lariat), and close to $10K more than a Lariat FX4 F150. When we return from our year about, I'll use the truck as a daily driver...though I don't drive much honestly...I do like how my 350 class C drives...but that's an 11K pound unit...no doubt the 350 truck will be much more bumpy.

The F150s I have seen have a 2080 payload (carmax specs) and I figured with a 1,200 tongue weight (2800BH) that would give me 800-900 lbs. of CC in the truck...but I must be missing something that you all are seeing. I have also heard that a 32' trailer is too much of a sail for a 1/2 ton truck to handle side winds with...but is a 250/350 so much heavier that it does a much better job?

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is awesome and worth considering on return. My wife would murder me if I tried to make the family live out of one of those for a year...she's more of a 31MB type Besides, 5 days a week I will need to be close to strong signal for my remote work...the weekends are for play.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly the same reaction my wife had lol. Our Reflection 28bh is perfect for us with the two bunk beds for our triplet 9 y.o. boys. Have you considered a Momentum toy hauler. The back room is perfect for active teens. And you can even fit a washer dryer back there. Don't discount the ability to do your wash at will! That's one thing we really wish we had.

That is awesome and worth considering on return. My wife would murder me if I tried to make the family live out of one of those for a year...she's more of a 31MB type Besides, 5 days a week I will need to be close to strong signal for my remote work...the weekends are for play.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The F150s I have seen have a 2080 payload (carmax specs)...
    Is this payload information from actual door stickers on the trucks you've seen on Carmax? You need to look at the door stickers, not published information from manufacturers or dealers.

Modern HD trucks actually drive really nice. The F-350 drives the same unloaded as an F-250. The only difference between the two is the F-350 has an extra overload spring that comes into play once you have your RV loaded.

As for the cargo carrying capacity (payload) of the truck, you have to add the weight of all passengers, the hitch and anything else that didn't come with the truck (tools, etc).
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    As for the cargo carrying capacity (payload) of the truck, you have to add the weight of all passengers, the hitch and anything else that didn't come with the truck (tools, etc).
    passengers, hitch, food, clothes, tools, water, camp chairs, tables, BBQs, patio mat, cleaning supplies, hoses, power cords, decorating doo-dads (flamingos, solar lights, etc), stuff in the bathroom cabinets, plates, glasses, silverware, pots & pans, (truck) fuel, generator, propane, batteries, books, games, and on and on.....

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast