Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

23BHE Sewer Smell from Under Bathroom Sink

First day in new RV. Full hookups at RV park. Grey tank in open position, black tank closed. We have a very strong sewer gas smell coming from under our bathroom sink, like it may be coming from our one-way air vent attached to the end of the black pvc piping under the sink. The sink itself doesn't smell, as there is water in the p-trap blocking the sewer gases. Any ideas what the problem could be?

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd guess it's what you referred to as the one way air vent. It's called an air admittance valve and can be picked up at any major hardware store. It unthreads from the pipe and is easy to replace. You can remove it and cover the end of the pipe and see if the smell goes away. It has been a fairly common issue for them to go bad from time to time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^^ Yes, AAV stuck open.

FWIW, I always keep all tank valves closed 'til ready to dump. I don't want who knows what coming up into my plumbing. But that's just me.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geobrian View Post
    First day in new RV. Full hookups at RV park. Grey tank in open position, black tank closed. We have a very strong sewer gas smell coming from under our bathroom sink, like it may be coming from our one-way air vent attached to the end of the black pvc piping under the sink. The sink itself doesn't smell, as there is water in the p-trap blocking the sewer gases. Any ideas what the problem could be?
    The admittance valve that FT4NOW mentions may just be stuck. Try tapping removing it and inspecting. It just may have some construction dust preventing it from closing.

BTW I would keep your gray tank valve closed until the tank fills. It may be tied into the black tank vent system and secondly sewer gasses from the park system will back up into the trailer (might be the source of your issue). I also use the gray tank as a flush after dumping the black tank.

Hope this helps
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The standard AAVs are basic quality units, and will stick fairly easily in RV applications. You can replace with higher quality, more dependable models for about $20.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The AAV simply unscrews from the stack pipe. This happened to us early on and I read all the suggestions for replacing it. Paid particular attention to the “mini” Studor brand, and, yet, it was still too big as our stack had been crammed in the very corner of cabinet front and wall. Then some frugal, intelligent member here suggested that the OEM AAV can be removed and washed. I now do this once at the beginning of each season, and we’ve never had the cabinet stench again.
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try keeping your gray valve closed for a day or 2 and se if that solves your problem. It's best to keep all valves closed until ready to dump.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all. Keeping the gray tank closed definitely helped. Picked up a new valve today, but can’t get the bad one off. Maybe some dry lube would help to loosen it up?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4867.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	30314
    Last edited by geobrian; 10-22-2020 at 05:29 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all. Keeping the gray tank closed definitely helped. Picked up a new valve today, but can’t get the bad one off. Maybe some dry lube would help to loosen it up?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4867.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	30314
    You might try to loosen it with large channel locks (our largest set has jaws with this shape -() set in) or, a VERY small pipe wrench. I’d wrap it with a damp cloth or a silicone sponge. Either tool is available cheaply at Harbor Freight, and I guarantee that you’ll use either one again and again.
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update. Replaced the air admittance valve recently. Out camping now and still getting the sewer smell from under our sink if I leave the grey valve open while hooked up. I don’t know what else it can be. Only solution for now is to leave my grey valve closed all the time except when dumping.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast