User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Old Route 66 from Ashfork/Seligman through Kingman, Oatman and back on I-40

Having lived in Arizona my entire life, from northern, eastern central and southern, I have never put a tire on Old Route 66, other than in town portions such as in Winslow and Flagstaff etc. A tour of old Route 66 has been on my radar for years and the weather seems pretty good now to give it a go. I have been Googling and searching for information on the road conditions itself, (mostly good), diesel stops and camping spots on public lands for free or low cost dry camping. Not doing very well as the information seems spotty at best.

We would be pulling a 150 Series 230RL (fifth wheel), with a RAM 2500 diesel.

Has anyone done such a trip turning off of I-40 at Ashfork/Seligman onto the Old Road? Or, even doing the revers route starting near the California border. And if so, is diesel available along that old route? Dry camp spots etc.

One thing I did hear, and was contradicted in another post in another old forum post, was getting to Oatman from the east, Kingman side, as the road is supposed to be too narrow with lots of switchbacks.

SO.. if anyone has or knows of anyone who has done this trip or good portion of the trip and would like to share, I would be grateful!

Thanks!!

John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJCES View Post
    Having lived in Arizona my entire life, from northern, eastern central and southern, I have never put a tire on Old Route 66, other than in town portions such as in Winslow and Flagstaff etc. A tour of old Route 66 has been on my radar for years and the weather seems pretty good now to give it a go. I have been Googling and searching for information on the road conditions itself, (mostly good), diesel stops and camping spots on public lands for free or low cost dry camping. Not doing very well as the information seems spotty at best.

We would be pulling a 150 Series 230RL (fifth wheel), with a RAM 2500 diesel.

Has anyone done such a trip turning off of I-40 at Ashfork/Seligman onto the Old Road? Or, even doing the revers route starting near the California border. And if so, is diesel available along that old route? Dry camp spots etc.

One thing I did hear, and was contradicted in another post in another old forum post, was getting to Oatman from the east, Kingman side, as the road is supposed to be too narrow with lots of switchbacks.

SO.. if anyone has or knows of anyone who has done this trip or good portion of the trip and would like to share, I would be grateful!

Thanks!!

John
    We always take the Route 66 loop between Williams and Kingman (I40 is really in sad shape). I wouldn't do the road to Oatman from there, though, it's pretty narrow and not particularly RV friendly (from what I can tell). We went to Oatman from Laughlin, and that route isn't especially truck (F250) friendly, never mind RV friendly.

Can't answer for the diesel question along that loop (we use gasoline), but I'd be surprised if it wasn't available somewhere along it. We have dry camped at Lake Kaibab campground twice (north of Williams on the road that goes to Grand Canyon). It's a nice campground, with some reserve-able sites.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've ridden it on two wheels and cruised it on four, but would not opt to tow along it in many(most) stretches. There aren't many stations on the route anymore, but there are stations not far off it. Diesel isn't too hard to find for the most part, but the desert stretch is another matter. Extended capacity tank or fuel cans a must crossing the desert IMO.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all, the section from Oatman to the east, is not RV friendly. I’ve driven it twice in a Miata and had a blast. There are several hairpin turns and the road is narrow with little or no shoulder. There are a few rock walls that are at the edge of the road which are a concern if going east bound. As for fuel, it is available from Kingman to Ash Fork. I would suggest that you pick a campgrounds near Kingman and drive to Oatman without the trailer.

More information. There is a BLM boondock site between Golden Shores and Oatman.
    Last edited by Silverbeard; 10-13-2020 at 08:26 PM.
    Paul and Sue
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, GooseBox hitch
    2019 Ram 3500 Cummins CC SB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank-you very much you guys for the information! It has been very informative and helped me figure things out.

John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trucks over 40' in length are prohibited on Sitgreaves Pass (west of Kingman). The approaches to/from the pass include grades of 7 - 11%, an extremely narrow road, switchbacks, long, steep drop-offs with little shoulder, vertical rocks right at the edge of the road, and rough surfaces. The road through Oatman is often congested with tourists and burros (yes, burros). We've been there - but definitely NOT with the RV!

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I live in Bullhead City and have been over route 66 from AZ Hwy 95 (Fort Mohave) to I-40 south of Kingman a number of times. Avoid that route like the plague with an RV. Road to narrow, hairpin switchbacks, steep grade and canyon walls that come straight down to the asphalt. If you want to visit Oatman come in from AZ 95. Oatman is worth the time to see and its famous for the burros wandering the streets. Rumor has it Clark Gable and his girlfriend stayed at the hotel back in the 50's. If you want route 66 shirts, hats and trinkets you can find it in Oatman. Also, do visit Williams Az, it is definitely another route 66 hotspot and they do not host burros wandering the street.
    2020 Solitude 372WB
    2017 F350 Superduty 4x4, Heavy Duty Tow Package
    2900 Superglide Hitch, MORryde Rubber Pinbox
    Zinny, Golden Retriever (rescue)
    Belle, Golden Retriever (rescue)

"Life With a Dog is a Gift"