User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

does anyone how well tank heater works.

We have a new 2021 GD 367BH on the control panel in the hallway is a tank heater switch. Planning on winter camping in Mich. this year and don't know alot about the do's and don'ts . Will it keep the fresh water and Blk and Gray holding tanks from freezing.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because of the mass of fluids in the tanks, they are at much lower risk of freezing than your water lines (Pex), water pump, etc. It takes an extended time at low temperatures to change the temp of the many gallons liquid in the tanks. Our previous fifth wheel (a 2016 Reflection) did not have tank heaters. We had an episode our second winter in it where the lows were in the single digits (F), the highs were in the low 20s, and the winds were 35 - 45 MPH steady for five days. The tanks never froze - but the Pex lines to the kitchen island did (there were issues with the heater duct to that location). As long as you run the main propane furnace (required to keep everything else under there from freezing), the tanks are heated, anyway. Our new Solitude has tank heaters and I'll probably turn them on if it gets into the teens and stays there - there's no harm in leaving them on as long as the batteries are charging from shore power, the tow vehicle, or solar (the heating pads are 12 volt).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the freshwater lines you can save propane and use electricity by simply installing a 100W incandescent bulb on a switched electrical socket behind the bulkhead. It will generate enough warmth for the cluster of pex and vinyl tube. Island plumbing is a little more tricky. I personally insulated our pex runs to the island when I ran another line for a bottled water dispenser at the sink.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Williep45 View Post
    We have a new 2021 GD 367BH on the control panel in the hallway is a tank heater switch. Planning on winter camping in Mich. this year and don't know alot about the do's and don'ts . Will it keep the fresh water and Blk and Gray holding tanks from freezing.
    We have a 2018 Solitude 310 GK, and we were in 12 degree temps in Wyoming and Utah and Washington during late March of 2018. In Wyoming, we were very concerned because we had to spend an extra evening at a RV resort 50 miles west of Cheyenne, off the interstate, because of winds in excess of 60 Knots. Our concern was also because we could not leave our fresh water hose connected during evening hours. I DID use our Tank heaters and was VERY IMPRESSED with their efficiency. I woke up at midnight that first night in Wyoming because we were uncomfortably warm in our bed. I decided I would turn down the Heater and see if that would help. After an hour, I had to turn off the heater to get comfortable. I was sitting in a recliner watching a show on the TV at 2:00 AM and finally was comfortable with the temperature in the RV. I went back to bed and all was well until 6:00 AM, when I had to take the two mini Ausies out for their morning ritual. Yes, it was uncomfortably COLD outside! When I arrived back inside the camper, it was very toasty still. After feeding the hounds, I again sat in front of the TV and actually turned on the Fireplace to check it out. It worked so efficiently, I had to turn the Fireplace off, as I got too warm in that area of the RV. I felt that the heating system in the 310 GK was very efficient, to the point that the furnace could be scaled back and still keep the camper comfortable. I did call Grand Design and my RV maintenance shop to find out at what temperature the Tank Heaters are set at, later that first day, as I wanted to make sure they did not get out of control on their temperature. I was assured by Grand Design and the Maintenance shop at the dealer we purchased our Grand design at, that the heaters only heat to, I believe, it was 60 degrees. My feelings are that 60 degrees in the belly of the camper, with the insulation that is added, does an excellent job at keeping the temperature within the camper at a comfortable level. Our entire trip to the Northwest that year in 2018, was trouble free at temperatures that were well below freezing. In the 35 day trip, I did not have to fill the propane tanks, until the third week, when I did refill the one empty tank.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mike and Jane, Two retired Educators/ One retired Army Aviator
    3 Mini Tri AUSIES
    2018 310 GK 2019 Chevy Duramax 3500 4W/D SRW L/B
    BW 18000 lb Hitch, BACKFLIP TONNAU

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone new to site

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the subject of these tank heaters: Does anyone know how much wattage they draw? I run off a 2200 watt generator at hunting camp and am wondering if it will be enough (should I want to use them). 2021 268BH. Thanks in advance.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1st Cav Duke View Post
    We have a 2018 Solitude 310 GK, and we were in 12 degree temps in Wyoming and Utah and Washington during late March of 2018. In Wyoming, we were very concerned because we had to spend an extra evening at a RV resort 50 miles west of Cheyenne, off the interstate, because of winds in excess of 60 Knots. Our concern was also because we could not leave our fresh water hose connected during evening hours. I DID use our Tank heaters and was VERY IMPRESSED with their efficiency. I woke up at midnight that first night in Wyoming because we were uncomfortably warm in our bed. I decided I would turn down the Heater and see if that would help. After an hour, I had to turn off the heater to get comfortable. I was sitting in a recliner watching a show on the TV at 2:00 AM and finally was comfortable with the temperature in the RV. I went back to bed and all was well until 6:00 AM, when I had to take the two mini Ausies out for their morning ritual. Yes, it was uncomfortably COLD outside! When I arrived back inside the camper, it was very toasty still. After feeding the hounds, I again sat in front of the TV and actually turned on the Fireplace to check it out. It worked so efficiently, I had to turn the Fireplace off, as I got too warm in that area of the RV. I felt that the heating system in the 310 GK was very efficient, to the point that the furnace could be scaled back and still keep the camper comfortable. I did call Grand Design and my RV maintenance shop to find out at what temperature the Tank Heaters are set at, later that first day, as I wanted to make sure they did not get out of control on their temperature. I was assured by Grand Design and the Maintenance shop at the dealer we purchased our Grand design at, that the heaters only heat to, I believe, it was 60 degrees. My feelings are that 60 degrees in the belly of the camper, with the insulation that is added, does an excellent job at keeping the temperature within the camper at a comfortable level. Our entire trip to the Northwest that year in 2018, was trouble free at temperatures that were well below freezing. In the 35 day trip, I did not have to fill the propane tanks, until the third week, when I did refill the one empty tank.
    I assume that these are electric tank heaters fitted to the bottom of the tank vs ducted air that I have seen talked about here.

Do all GD have these tank heaters or are they an option?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Russholio View Post
    On the subject of these tank heaters: Does anyone know how much wattage they draw? I run off a 2200 watt generator at hunting camp and am wondering if it will be enough (should I want to use them). 2021 268BH. Thanks in advance.
    The tank heaters in out Solitude draw roughly 5 amps at 13.5V (65~70W) PER tank. Remember, these are 12V DC. If you are running off 120v AC then the power will be provided though your converter. At 80% converter efficiency this would be about 85W per tank. I do not know if your trailer uses the same heaters.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, Chris. I guess I should have clarified, I don't want my generator (Honda EU2OOOi) running at full throttle to power these heaters. I've managed in my two previous campers without them, so I'm probably overthinking it. ��