Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

USB ports burned up device

We have a new GD Reflection 150. We had the USB ports in the kitchen area burn up a kindle when my wife had an iPhone plugged in it at the same time. In fact the ends of the USB cables were so hot you couldn't hold them. She believes she had them plugged in together before without any problem. It is at the dealer now having warranty work done and tech says he can't get it to fail. Also the Service rep is pretty sure all he did was plug in his phone to test. I am pretty sure they are fed by DC but not sure what could have caused problem. Anyone have an idea on what may have caused the problem or how I could test?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dljones3138 View Post
    We have a new GD Reflection 150. We had the USB ports in the kitchen area burn up a kindle when my wife had an iPhone plugged in it at the same time. In fact the ends of the USB cables were so hot you couldn't hold them. She believes she had them plugged in together before without any problem. It is at the dealer now having warranty work done and tech says he can't get it to fail. Also the Service rep is pretty sure all he did was plug in his phone to test. I am pretty sure they are fed by DC but not sure what could have caused problem. Anyone have an idea on what may have caused the problem or how I could test?
    Google USB port tester - lots of choices
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am no USB electrical expert but did find information on the USB outlets. According to the GD Parts Lookup the USB dual port is a Sigma Switches SP0192-15-1A0274 for a 2020 2970RL. While I could not find this exact part number on the Sigma Switch website I did find literature for their dual USB charging ports which I have included below. Provided the ports are USB version compliant I don't see how they could put our more amps than they are rated for. I did find an entry on the WWW that stated you should only charge your kindle using the charging brick.

I'm not a big fan of using unknown USB outlets to charge my devices. I rely on the charging bricks that come with them.

Note that there are two types, a standard charging and a rapid charging. They also designate the number of and type of devices that can be connected.

I think @powerscol suggestion of an outlet tester is good. At least so the number of amps is known. You might want to give Sigma Switches a call and see if they have any suggestions. Their phone number is on the flyer I attached.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-10-14_15-46-54.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	30140
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dljones3138 View Post
    Sorry for your trouble but we have iPhones and iPads plugged into the USB ports under our kitchen hutch a WHOLE lot, fairly frequently two devices at the same time, and we do this both when we're on shore power and when we're running on the batteries.

Never had an issue. Yours might be a shortcoming of the Kindle. I don't mean to rub salt in the wound; just giving you information.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are any of the connections a little losse at either ends?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also don't forget that the USB port has internal electronics. The sheet I provided mentions internal fuse and capacitor. If those go bad I would imagine bad things could happen.

If the dealer doesn't find anything you may want to have them switch out that port to be on the safe side. Intermittent electrical problems are no fun. Especially ones that damage devices.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the good information. I will check with Sigma and didn't think about loose connections. I will check it out also. I doubt tech will check that far. Fortunately I had the extended replacement warranty on the Kindle for two more months so didn't cost me to replace. Thanks again. I also thought about plugging things in and measuring the amperage draw.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would just replace the USB ports, there are tons of 12v ones on amazon to choose from and you can probably get a faster charge version, usb c, more ports, or whatever you need. They're cheap. Devices are expensive. Same with cables, might replace those too.