User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ordered a 420lb propane tank. Any plumbing advice.

I have received conflicting advice concerning how to plumb this unit. It is a 80 gallon ( 420lb propane pig tank), 18ft from the front of the park model trailer. (25 ft of pipe or hose is required). Easiest would be to have the 2 stage regulator at the tank, ( first stage reduces to 10psi then second to about 1/2psi/11" water) then have that run to the trailer with a 25' low pressure hose and bypass the trailers regulator system. It is one of those systems that has 2- 30lb tanks, a knob and arrow for switching tanks and shows pressure with the green and red indicators. It has both pressure reducers in one so I don't think I can use that without a long high pressure line from the tank.
    A person I talked to felt that having both regs together at the tank would cause the propane line to freeze because both pressure drops would happen right at the tank. Pretty sure it must be against some code to have heat tape wrapped around a propane regulator also. I am in Vancouver so temperatures are pretty moderate, nearly always just above freezing, but coldest is about 8 deg of frost.
    Another option is to put a single stage reducer at the tank and a second stage at the trailer
    Can I ask what is the usual practice and whether people have problems with propane lines freezing?
    Thank you!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pdunn154 View Post
    I have received conflicting advice concerning how to plumb this unit. It is a 80 gallon ( 420lb propane pig tank), 18ft from the front of the park model trailer. (25 ft of pipe or hose is required). Easiest would be to have the 2 stage regulator at the tank, ( first stage reduces to 10psi then second to about 1/2psi/11" water) then have that run to the trailer with a 25' low pressure hose and bypass the trailers regulator system. It is one of those systems that has 2- 30lb tanks, a knob and arrow for switching tanks and shows pressure with the green and red indicators. It has both pressure reducers in one so I don't think I can use that without a long high pressure line from the tank.
    A person I talked to felt that having both regs together at the tank would cause the propane line to freeze because both pressure drops would happen right at the tank. Pretty sure it must be against some code to have heat tape wrapped around a propane regulator also. I am in Vancouver so temperatures are pretty moderate, nearly always just above freezing, but coldest is about 8 deg of frost.
    Another option is to put a single stage reducer at the tank and a second stage at the trailer
    Can I ask what is the usual practice and whether people have problems with propane lines freezing?
    Thank you!
    I live in Ottawa and have 2 of those tanks. One if for our garage furnace which has a simple copper pipe running 20 feet outside. The other if for our Generac house generator which also has our bbq tied into it. It also gas 20 feet or so run outside. Small copper pipe maybe 1/2 in or so not insulated. They each have the single stage at tank and the another at the bbq. Never a problem in the winter even when we go down in the minus 30/40 celcius.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, thanks for your help! Sounds good, and I'll look into doing it that way.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just had a 100 gallon tank installed on our lot. It has its own regulator. Installer said the 2 regulators need to be isolated from each other. I had them tie into the RV plumbing after the regulator with shut offs to keep both systems separated. New half inch line tied into hard pipe running along the frame on drivers side.
    Pam & Ed
    "Just Kruse'n"

Momentum 376TH (New 11/04/2016)
    Full Timing since 11/04/2016
    2017 Ram 3500 DRW Aisin 3.73

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all for the advice. Talking to the local RV place, they sold me a double regulator and felt if I moved the tank closer to the trailer I would not have any problems. I bought from them a 15 ' 1/2" I'd line and don't seem to have any problems.