User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shutting her down for the season - How to's and what to's????

Good Day folks!

New RV'er here!! We are on our first long trip as RV owners (2670MK) - we left Washington state in August and expect to arrive in our final destination in Central Florida in a week or two. Once we reach our destination, we plan to camp near our home, in an RV park for a week or so. We own a home in Florida, but have had tenants in it since we left fro WA. in 2011. Our plan is to move back into the house, but we figured we'd inspect it paint if needed, updates, etc.

Once we're ready to put the RV into storage for a couple months, what do I need to do to her? How do I prep her, for while I guess will be short term storage. Since we bought the TT new, we have discovered numerous items that need to be fixed, while still under warranty. I would also like to add a second AC unit in the bedroom. All of this would be done at or by the dealer.

My thought is when we're ready to move into the house, I'll take the trailer to the dealer and let them "hold" it there till all work is accomplished - if it takes a couple weeks or a couple months - its stored on their lot and I'm not paying for storage.

With all that said - what preps do I need to make to the the rig when I take where to the dealer and what about when I actually have to store it for an extended period of time, at my cost (RV storage near my home)??

We've never done this before, but we did make it across the country without any major issue (knock on wood) - we learned a lot from our couple months on the road, saw a lot of great sites and sounds, and now I'm preparing for the next phase - Stowing. Lots to learn and no one better to learn from - you good folks!!!

Thanks for your advice and sharing your knowledge!!

Steve
    Steve & Pat
    2019 Ram 3500 Limited MegaCab
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

https://www.epgsoft.com/visited-stat...100&format=png

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since you are in Florida and not exposed to freezing weather where the pipes could freeze and burst it should be relatively quick and easy. I'm thinking emptying the fresh tank and h/w tanks. Disconnect the battery at the battery not the battery disconnect. Defrost the freezer. Add bounce sheets here and there to keep the mice out.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    Since you are in Florida and not exposed to freezing weather where the pipes could freeze and burst it should be relatively quick and easy. I'm thinking emptying the fresh tank and h/w tanks. Disconnect the battery at the battery not the battery disconnect. Defrost the freezer. Add bounce sheets here and there to keep the mice out.

I've heard about the dryer sheets - where do you put them, inside or outside or both?
    Steve & Pat
    2019 Ram 3500 Limited MegaCab
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

https://www.epgsoft.com/visited-stat...100&format=png

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverado333 View Post
    I've heard about the dryer sheets - where do you put them, inside or outside or both?
    Inside. Under the bed, basement beneath the drawers, under the dinnet benches... where ever they could come in... like where your furnace and hw are anc fridge also

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't say what part of Florida you are from. Friends of ours that stayed up in the panhandle were stuck inside once due to freezing weather. That's not the norm though. With as high as the humidity is in Florida you might want to think about getting a dehumidifier. There has been a lot of talk on here on that subject. Try doing an advanced search and get some good advice.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To add to what was said:

-Remove all food items for long term storage

-Crack the fridge and freezer open, and put something in the door to prevent them from shutting all the way. This will prevent mold buildup.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverado333 View Post
    Good Day folks!

New RV'er here!! We are on our first long trip as RV owners (2670MK) - we left Washington state in August and expect to arrive in our final destination in Central Florida in a week or two. Once we reach our destination, we plan to camp near our home, in an RV park for a week or so. We own a home in Florida, but have had tenants in it since we left fro WA. in 2011. Our plan is to move back into the house, but we figured we'd inspect it paint if needed, updates, etc.

Once we're ready to put the RV into storage for a couple months, what do I need to do to her? How do I prep her, for while I guess will be short term storage. Since we bought the TT new, we have discovered numerous items that need to be fixed, while still under warranty. I would also like to add a second AC unit in the bedroom. All of this would be done at or by the dealer.

My thought is when we're ready to move into the house, I'll take the trailer to the dealer and let them "hold" it there till all work is accomplished - if it takes a couple weeks or a couple months - its stored on their lot and I'm not paying for storage.

With all that said - what preps do I need to make to the the rig when I take where to the dealer and what about when I actually have to store it for an extended period of time, at my cost (RV storage near my home)??

We've never done this before, but we did make it across the country without any major issue (knock on wood) - we learned a lot from our couple months on the road, saw a lot of great sites and sounds, and now I'm preparing for the next phase - Stowing. Lots to learn and no one better to learn from - you good folks!!!

Thanks for your advice and sharing your knowledge!!

Steve
    There are many threads here on mouse/critter deterrents. Search mouse problem or rodent deterrents. As you’re reading, you’ll want to find a combination of things that repel insects as well. You’ll want to stuff copper mesh into any holes you have to the outside (like the water hose entry, under the slides, etc). Steel wool will rust, copper mesh won’t. For anything you leave in drawers (silverware, linens) you can store them in big plastic bags. There are cheaper alternatives to brand names (like “Space Bags”) and they’re thicker than garbage bags. That way, if you do have mice, you won’t have to re-wash all the contents, just the surfaces. The same deterrents I use in sachets everywhere inside, I spray on the exterior regions of the trailer. The backside of the lower skirting on all these trailers has a natural mouse-run. Also where the seals meet under your slides. There are screens available for the furnace and refrigerator vents, although some folks just give them the occasional shot of insecticide.
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of this may be repeated from above....

> Empty refrigerator, turn it off, put crumpled newspapers in it or some charcoal in a container and leave the doors ajar.
    > Remove all food items.
    > Remove toothpaste, deodorant, etc. to keep critters from "investigating the inside".
    > Get some of those dehumidifier things that hang and put a few in the rig; replace them monthly when full. You HAVE TO keep the humidity out - especially in FL - it will be your worst enemy.
    > Disconnect the battery's negative cable (the disconnect switch doesn't turn everything off)
    > Dryer sheets is a great idea (who ever said that is right). (I put them at hose openings and where the shore power cable enters the RV every time we camp).
    > Turn the propane off.
    > Remove batteries from any devices in the RV (you can keep them with the device, just not IN the device)
    > Visit the RV monthly or more often to inspect if for anything odd.
    > Pick a dealer with a paved lot rather than a grass lot - less critters crawling/sniping about.

Welcome back to the sunshine state!
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello!! We are newbies to RVing and just purchased a 5th wheel. I don't have room to park the trailer at the house so I'll be taking it to a storage facility. We haven't used it yet but are going to in the next couple months here in California. Do I turn off the red switch or disconnect the battery at the terminal? The dealership told me that i didn't have to turn the red switch off because it has solar. Just need some advice. Thank you in advance.

Carl
    2023 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4
    2023 GD Reflection 150 Series 278BH

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NDEMGUTZ View Post
    Hello!! We are newbies to RVing and just purchased a 5th wheel. I don't have room to park the trailer at the house so I'll be taking it to a storage facility. We haven't used it yet but are going to in the next couple months here in California. Do I turn off the red switch or disconnect the battery at the terminal? The dealership told me that i didn't have to turn the red switch off because it has solar. Just need some advice. Thank you in advance.

Carl
    Hi Carl,
    You're responding to an older thread. The dealer might be right. I personally wouldn't chance it. It only takes a few seconds. I'm not sure if pulling the red disconnect will also disconnect or not the solar. Might need to trace the solar cables and see.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast