Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post
    Hi all.

I HAVE read the forums to try to absorb answers to the following question, but looking for current thoughts as well as experienced gleaned over the last few years since the line has been introduced.

I do NOT currently own a GD, but am looking very seriously at a 240RL Reflection 150 series. Since these are on the "lighter/smaller" size, and "marketed" if not exactly engineered toward half tons, I am actually concerned about challenges associated with using a 2020 4x4 Ram 3500 as TV. Trucks have become so tall.... I am actually concerned about rail clearance issues as well as ride level issues with a smaller fifth wheel.

Tangentially ... I would prefer to lock the pin box rather than use the Turning Point feature. The truck, while a 3500, does have only a 6' 4" bed as the Rams favor these shorter short beds. Can one get away with cab clearance on a 6' 4" bed without using a slider or the turning point hitch. If not, I will have to reluctantly learn about sliders.

Thanks for any current opinion.

Likewise have a 2020 RAM3500 SRW 6'4" diesel. Pulling a Reflection 303RLS using an Anderson Hitch. Plenty of rail clearance and back of cab clearance when turning. Plus I can remove hitch from truck bed very easily. May look into the Anderson Hitch. Love it.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anderson Hitch only way to go ,2500 dodge meg cab diesel has pluck system just use center pluck no noise ,bucking,Grand Design 29rl rated at 10999 pounds less than 50 pounds easy in and out ,use to use a tractor with hay fork and sling get a slider out that was about 150 pounds unless you took it apart.Anderson also makes a rail one to fit that also ,also a turn over ball by B&W works well to and frees up the bed also had 1 installed on a 2020 ram 1500 for $650 GOOD LUCK on making up your mind so many ways to go.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My setup is a 2020 GD 150 series Reflection 295RL. I tow with a F250 6.7 diesel. My hitch is a Pullrite Super 5th (16K). I have the turning point activated (no more fear of a busted back window) and have have not had a problem using it as yet. When parked I like the ability to be able to turn pin box sideways so as to get it out of the way and not a "head hazard"

As for hitching it up I've found that this method works well, if I follow the following routine: When backing the truck, (looking in the rear view mirror) the pin box is directly behind (hidden) by the back center seat headrest. And the truck is centrally positioned by checking the side mirrors. All my wife has to do is tell me when to stop about 6" away from the pin. I love the auto-reconnect feature of the auto-leveling system as I rarely have to alter the hitch height before connecting up.

Incidentally I just got back from a 7 day trip to the coast and back approx. 500 miles With going over and back over the Cascade Mountains I averaged 12.1 mpg. I have an auxiliary fuel tank in the truck bed and so didn't need to refuel. I would recommend this useful accessory to anyone.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to everyone who replied.

I have been going back and forth on my truck purchase, and I think I have decided, based on this thread and others, is that 3/4 ton (Gas) offering from either Ford or Ram will be manageable. I was originally leaning toward 1 tons ... but finding them in gas is a challenge and my window for ordering is closing for various reasons.

I was slightly worried about payload numbers pushing me toward one tons, but all of the loading stickers I am looking at (for similarly outfitted, modestly equipped 3/4 ton trucks) have set my mind at ease, most being at 3000 pounds which was my low cut off. It's amazing what those diesel engines do to the yellow sticker*.

Next step will be to re-drive the 3/4 tons and make a decision.

* caveat, I understand fully why and what it really means, but we sure do have a funny way of implementing regulations here in the US.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Youtube TFL trucks and look for their Ike Gauntlet videos as they test trucks pulling loads up and down a huge mountain...
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandesigner View Post
    Youtube TFL trucks and look for their Ike Gauntlet videos as they test trucks pulling loads up and down a huge mountain...
    I have watched TFL for years. (and driven I-70)

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then you probably know what they have determined...
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then you probably know what they have determined...
    That the GM gas HD truck is a dog.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I wouldn't quote them on that, but they did pick a class leader...IIRC
    Dan and Rita

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I wouldn't quote them on that, but they did pick a class leader...IIRC
    Then I will, quote: "Sometimes we were down to 25 miles an hour".

Class leader was a bit better than the Ram, and a bit more expensive. It's the dilemma.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast