Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

150 series combined with newer 1 ton trucks

Hi all.

I HAVE read the forums to try to absorb answers to the following question, but looking for current thoughts as well as experienced gleaned over the last few years since the line has been introduced.

I do NOT currently own a GD, but am looking very seriously at a 240RL Reflection 150 series. Since these are on the "lighter/smaller" size, and "marketed" if not exactly engineered toward half tons, I am actually concerned about challenges associated with using a 2020 4x4 Ram 3500 as TV. Trucks have become so tall.... I am actually concerned about rail clearance issues as well as ride level issues with a smaller fifth wheel.

Tangentially ... I would prefer to lock the pin box rather than use the Turning Point feature. The truck, while a 3500, does have only a 6' 4" bed as the Rams favor these shorter short beds. Can one get away with cab clearance on a 6' 4" bed without using a slider or the turning point hitch. If not, I will have to reluctantly learn about sliders.

Thanks for any current opinion.
    Last edited by Newman; 10-14-2020 at 04:46 PM.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should edit to add, for what it is worth the truck is a SRW gas, although that is not germane to my two concerns above.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tow a GD Reflection 150 Series 260RD with a 2019 Ram 3500 CTD, Limited Megacab SRW with a short bed (6'4"). I use a BW Companion hitch for the Ram puck system. My trim includes the air lowering function. Untrimmed my 5th wheel is just slightly nose high. When I turn on the air lowering function it becomes almost perfectly level. I have 6-7 inches of clearance on the side rails. The BW hitch is set as low as it goes so if I needed more clearance it would be easy to raise it up.

The truck tows the rig beautifully. With the big diesel it never struggles, screams, or hesitates. Having the exhaust brake is a huge plus.

I use the Turning Point kingpin in the unlocked setting with the wedge for the BW hitch. It makes life so worry free I'm not sure why anyone bothers not doing it. I get complete 90 turns with no contact on the truck. I did read on a 260RD forum on FB today that someone with a 6'4" bed (didn't specify Ram) that he uses the Turning Point in the locked position and thinks he can get 80-85 degree turns. For me it might work but I do have to back into my driveway at almost 90 degrees and it could be a little tight. The only downside for me with having it unlocked is that you have to back into the kingpin at just the right angle. I've gotten really good at it and almost always get it the first time but never more than 2 tries now.

Feel free to let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Dave & Debbie
    ----------------------
    2021 Ford F150 Lariat PowerBoost Supercrew 4x4 with 7.2kW generator
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Side note, I decided to avoid a slider just because of the hassle with use and weight. Current set up is no worry and simple.

Dave & Debbie
    ----------------------
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks @Bearii,

I am surprised you have 7" rail clearance. That's encouraging actually.

I dunno, may have to re-evaluate whether to use the TP hitch or not - but that's a decision far down the road at this point.

My reasoning against was twofold:

hitching up alignment you mentioned .... i come from bumper pull land and never care what angle I am hooking and not hooking up from as long as the trailer is where I want it. I can see that being a headache in forests, etc.

It just "seems" like an introduced weak point in to the hitch set up equation, and some additional 'slop' with the wedge. I certainly don't have evidence for this position.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was a little annoying at first to hook up but I got used to it pretty fast and don't even think about it any more. If you set up the wedge properly there isn't any slop, at least with the BW hitch there isn't.

It's easy to do it either way so you could experiment and see what you prefer. The cost of the wedge is peanuts. I just didn't want to have to worry about blowing out my back window![emoji1787][emoji857] If you do try it unlocked give yourself time to get used to finding the right angle before you toss in the towel.

I have the bed camera so I can almost always tell now before I even connect if I'm spot on or not.

Dave & Debbie
    ----------------------
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the way, I haven't had a side to side angle issue in any setting yet. Just the angle of approach so that the wedge fits in tight.

Dave & Debbie
    ----------------------
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 260RD, locked out turning point truck and hitch in my sig. Cab clearance has not really been an issue for my so far with this set up, I have a really tight spot to park the trailer at my house and the only thing I see as a negative is that the pivot point is in the bed not further behind the truck which translates into me having to start my turn when back much sooner than I would like. Angles in degrees are very hard to judge by the eye, but with my truck turned as far as I feel comfortable with there is still plenty of cab clearance to spare. When parking into an almost 90 degree spot on dirt/gravel the axles and tires worry me the most not the cab (lots of noises and "pushing" not rolling). I initially have my B&W Companion set to the highest and furthest bask positions and have measured 7-1/2" rail height. I currently have LT295's on the truck and plan on going back to factory size LT275's and lowering the hitch one row down so trailer will be close to level (slightly nose up now).
    2016 Ram 2500 Longhorn 4X4 6.4L SB
    B&W Companion W/Turnoverball
    2024 Reflection 303RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks @GRKC5123 ,
    Any issues pulling that 260RD with the Hemi gas? I am not expecting diesel performance, just want to make sure it's not a dog with 10,000 plus pounds behind it.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem at all, I don't really notice it until I hit a dip or bump, gas mileage has been 8-10 mpg depending on wind and hills. Plenty of power to pull it. New MoRyde on the trailer makes a big difference from my last trailer, much better ride.
    2016 Ram 2500 Longhorn 4X4 6.4L SB
    B&W Companion W/Turnoverball
    2024 Reflection 303RLS

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast