User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to do a lot of roof work both building roofs and roofing. I had eye surgery about 7 years ago and for some reason it affected my ability to balance so I just don't go on roofs anymore. It's a bit of a pain but just find someone to do your roof maintenance for you. I take my camper to an RV repair place but perhaps you could find a good mobile RV repair person.
    Steve and Peggy
    Based in beautiful East Tennessee
    2016 Reflection 337RLS
    2017 Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4 CTD

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveFury View Post
    I've always had a real phobia of ladders.
    Not a dumb question AT ALL and no need to be embarrassed about it.

Are you *reasonably* strong? I'm old and very unfit, but I'm able to wrestle a ladder like the one below around without hurting myself.

https://www.wernerco.com/us/products...eries/MT-22IAA

Mine's very similar to that one, maybe an older model of it. It's REALLY solid, even though I'm within a few dozen pounds of testing its weight limit, it's versatile, and it fits perfectly across the front wall of our basement compartment; I carry it with us all the time.

It can be adjusted to just reach the roof; maybe you could just crawl over the top rung onto the roof? Or it can be adjusted to extend well above the roof; maybe you can climb so your feet are at roof level and then just step around the side of it?

It is a bit of a workout to move it around when configured as a fully-extended extension ladder but I'm the opposite of fit and I do it.

Hope this helps.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    If you are not comfortable on ladders and weary of getting on and off your RV's roof -- stay off the ladder and the roof! It is not worth the risk. Find someone to do it for you.
    ^This!

If you have slide toppers, you should only need to get on the roof twice a year to clean and inspect it. Just hire somebody to do this. It doesn't need to be an RV repair expert. Anybody can look for gaps in the sealant and seal them. Any handyman will do.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveFury View Post
    I've always had a real phobia of ladders.
    We got a new Imagine 2800BH a couple years ago.
    I could not get up the ladder 1/2 way, embarrassed to say my wife was the one clearing the slide top before we got the topper.

I was able to back the Imagine up against the house under a window to crawl out the window for roof cleaning and seal inspection.
    Life was good.

Then we traded the Imagine for a Solitude 375RES last spring.
    I bought a 32 inch wide, 12 foot tall step ladder so I can access the upper walls for maintenance such as cleaning and waxing.
    It took a lot of repeated climbing that 12 foot ladder until I gained a reasonable confidence to work with my head at roof level.

The 375RES is a whole other category of monster in size compared to the Imagine.
    Backing the rig to the house for window access is no longer an option.

I have a short step ladder that allows me to access the main RV ladder in the back.
    I'm able to make a slow and terrifying climb on the RV ladder until I can just peer over the edge of the roof.

I'm braving the climb every few days up to that same level on the ladder until I sort of get used to it but I have a long way to go until I'm reasonably comfortable.
    I can't for the life of me figure out how people make the transfer from the ladder to the roof safely.
    I searched YouTube for video instructions how to safely transverse an RV ladder but haven't found any.
    There's tons of videos about extension ladders but the RV ladder ends a few inches above the RV roof while you put an extension ladder several feet above for stability.

If you examine the pic below, you can see the step ladder in the back.
    The rig is parked on a bit of a hill that raises the rear 2-3 feet so the roof is actually about 16 feet off the ground that doesn't help with my issue.
    One thing we didn't count on with the 375 vs our Imagine was the weight on the ground. It would be great to pull the rig forward off that decline to effectively "raise the ground" to make the bi-daily climb easier but that's not an option for the weight distributing boards I use. I can't keep it pulled forward and leave it there for city code.

I live in a rural area and haven't found any mobile techs, nor anyone who washes RV's professionally who may do the inspection.
    My nearest GrandDesign dealer is +2hrs away and they wrecked my Imagine when it was there for warranty work so I want to keep my Solitude away as much as possible.

I'm 6 foot 2 inches tall, about 250lbs and 60 years old.
    I keep telling myself that I can do this ladder climbing but really struggling.

My other option is trying a general maintenance service like Home Advisor or Angie's list. Maybe someone can come out from there.

It's too high, too scary for my wife too.
    Any ideas?
    Any ladder tips?
    Anybody else in the same situation?
    This is a long post. -Thanks for any input you may have.Attachment 30147
    I am in the same boat as you. My solution was to use a 14 foot step ladder placed beside the trailer
    close to where I need to be. My Imagine is a little over 11 feet high so this puts me above the roof.
    I can step from the ladder onto the roof. I have never used the built in ladder. I see you have a 5er
    so I cannot speak to whether it would work for you.
    This is a condition that many of us suffer with, no fun.
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have always been "reasonably" comfortable with ladders and working at height. As the years have caught up with me, my comfort level has decreased markedly. Still, though, I break out my extension ladder once or twice a year and get up on the roof of our Solitude for roof washing and seal inspection. The last two times I put all 5 slides out first and I found it really reduced my anxiety when working around the edges. It gives the impression of greater width resulting in less "edge sensitivity".
    Just my .02.

Safe Travels.

Jim
    Jim & Gwen
    2015 Solitude 379fl, VIN 573FS4324F1102454
    2011 F-350 SC, DRW, 6.7 PSD, Ride-Rite Air Bags, Pull-Rite 20.5 K
    "You can't get lost if you don't care where you're going"

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow what a timely post SteveFury, I feel your pain. I have been afraid of heights my entire life, no way I get on the roof of my 375! Yours is gorgeous by the way, haven't seen one in full body paint! We were camping on Lake Conroe in heavy forest last weekend. Family members left a day early and so on departure day it left only me to get the huge amount of leaves and pine needles off the slides so I could pull them in. I sat and stared at the beast and thought this is ridiculous I can do this. Got out the 4 ft step ladder and slung my cordless blower over my shoulder and scampered right up. As someone mentioned it is much better with all the slides out and I just never looked down other than at the roof or slides. Blew everything off and pulled them in. Now I know I can do it the next time will be easier. Nice side benefit was I got to see that my roof is pristine and the sealant looks great!
    Last edited by Txfivver; 10-15-2020 at 01:41 PM.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have found that best ladder to use is folding "A" type. Use them in "A" position and not straight on flat surface. They are more stabile than a regular step ladders. Just make sure it goes high enough to work on top of camper in "A" position; some of shorter "A" ones won't work and are more dangerous if you try to climb too high on them.
    Home Depot before Covid 19 use to have them on sale for $89, don't know about today.
    This is one similar to what I am talking about from Home Depot. Costco also sells them under different name.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gorilla-...T-23/309539716

I carry this ladder in cargo bay but wouldn't recommend it to use for cleaning camper roof, it is very light weight and not as stable as the one from Home Depot but it is my emergency ladder. It takes up very little space in cargo bay.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/GP-Logist...adder/25521241
    Last edited by Buckskin; 10-15-2020 at 03:51 PM.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW I'm drooling over your setup.
    What is it with as we get older we get scared of heights. I mean, in my 20 and 30s, had no problem getting on a 8/12 pitch roof 3 stories high. Now forget it.
    Your question is not dumb and dont be embarrassed at all. I use that thing GD calls a ladder when camping before we close the slides but believe me there is no braveness in my knees, arms and the rest. You cant tell by looking at me but believe me, no braveness at all. And it's just the Imagine model. When I get up and peak over the roof and slide top and see no leaf or branches, right back down I go real quick too. Lol. Now you've received lots of good advise. I understand you wanting to do your own inspection. It's hard to trust others when you've been screwed before. Since your in the country and you seem to have room, I really liked @geotex1 suggestions of a stairway. If not then a ladder is what I use that extends 3-4ft past the top.
    Good luck my friend, as you can see, you are not alone. Keep us posted.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're not alone!
    I save my swaggering for when I'm safely attached to the ground. I don't like using the "conveniently placed ladder" both from its size and the concern that i could compromise a seal. What i did was spend an extra 500 at Lowes and bought a two-stage set of scaffolding. In addition to make getting onto the roof easier, it makes a great platform for working all along the sides.

One thing i did for stability was add a heavy-duty cross-bracing strap.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use to work for a roofing company. At times I had to climb a 50' extension ladder. I was way young back then but it was scary. These days I'll climb my Imagine roof ladder and carefully make the transition.

If you are truly scared and nervous that makes climbing a ladder even more dangerous. There must be someone around willing to take the climb.

Do you live anywhere near Georgia? If you do I'll come and make the climb for you.
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 Laramie, 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    2021 337rls w/ Andersen hitch.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast