User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tow a 31' TT @9300 lb TT with a 19 Ram 3500 CTD using a BO 2000 lb bar WDH. I still get sucked and pushed around. Only difference is that while the TT may get pushed around some, the truck stays planted.
    Push and pull is fairly common with TT's. Owned a 5er before and there's virtually zero push pull. Stronger side winds will still move you around though.
    FWIW I have over 14% for TW.
    Have you checked all you weights? Have you set up your WDH correctly as possible? What are you putting in the garage? Tire PSI? Lots of variables.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OurNewEra View Post
    I wouldn't say a lot of push is normal but with a travel trailer (not fifth wheel) you will have some. Those trucks are pushing a lot of air and when it meets your trailer it is going to have an affect. I have a 2970RL and towing with a 1996 Chevy K3500. When properly loaded I feel very little push from the Semis. If the driver is courteous and moves the left of his lane I don't feel anything. The key is to know when a truck is coming up and you will get the same push and suck each time. You learn to drive with it. But good sway control and proper loading/weight distribution is the key.

When we picked up our trailer on the trip home we had hardly anything in it. The first 30 minutes on the interstate was white knuckles. I stopped at the first rest stop and moved all the gear I had in the bed of our truck to the pass through storage. That made a huge improvement. No more white knuckle. As someone suggested, I have also found that traveling with some water in the fresh water tank is also a good way to add some weight. We always have some in tank so we can use our RR on the road.

There are many things to make it better but I don't think 'getting used to' a white knuckle drive is the best and enjoyable route to take. If you don't feel safe then it isn't safe.
    Awesome, makes sense! I definitely didn’t strategically load it in this first drive...and when i stopped the first time I dumped the water in the fresh tank thinking that was causing some of that sway[emoji2359]...I’m glad i was solo so there’s no actual witness to my ridiculousness[emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One word "ProPride" hitch. Enough said, you'll be real happy.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yngc277 View Post
    Awesome, makes sense! I definitely didn’t strategically load it in this first drive...and when i stopped the first time I dumped the water in the fresh tank thinking that was causing some of that sway[emoji2359]...I’m glad i was solo so there’s no actual witness to my ridiculousness[emoji23][emoji23]

Its been a while since I pulled a TT behind me. I used an older style equalizer hitch (round bars with chains the went into a leverage vice clamp). While this may not be correct for today's trailers WDH systems this is the way I was taught. Step one - on level ground hitch up without bars and determine sag distance. Unhook and set ball up that distance plus 1". Raise trailer nose to match, set coupler on ball, but before lowering set WDH bars, then lower trailer. TV should be level. If I did it this way everything was good. Trailer was level, Truck was level (trailer and truck had a drop or rise at hitch as needed) and everything was good. It did require a hitch where the ball shank could be raised or lowered. I always made sure the Truck nose was not raised to much for headlights to work.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Extreme View Post
    One word "ProPride" hitch. Enough said, you'll be real happy.
    Agree... sway will be nearly eliminated with the ProPride. Check it out.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a quick update...I added fresh water, redistributed some weight and turned off my sway control on the truck...and I do feel it drove better back to Dallas today. In fact, after one of the stops I forgot to turn off the sway control, and could notice it. Much appreciated to all of you for your info and experience!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12