User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    Can we see pictures of your setup? And you are absolutely right about having longer kayaks.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Here you go, sorry our kayaks are not on the racks, but will be in a month when we leave our current location.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails KayakRack1.jpg   KayakRack2.jpg   KayakRack3.jpg  
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    So that pic of the 2 kayaks is in your passthrough storage?

Yes. I guess I could have picked a better picture! Here's one from a bit farther back, where you can see this is the back of the trailer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4b.jpg  
    2020 Solitude 380FL with B&W Companion 20K hitch
    2018 GMC Sierra Denali HD 3500 DRW

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geodude View Post
    Yes. I guess I could have picked a better picture! Here's one from a bit farther back, where you can see this is the back of the trailer.
    Now I see, I really didnt realize how deep that storage went. Real nice.
    Noticed the Ontario plates also. We're in Ottawa also. Small world.

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long are the kayaks?
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marcy always finds the cool stufff......

Anyway, I 'd have a hard time choosing. I too like the the options of an open bed. But I like the tow-ability and space we have now better. So, this time, it was a 5th wheel.

Taking bikes along for us is a must. First we had a bumper hitch and additional support for the bumper. But we only had 2 relatively light bikes. I wouldn't suggest that with 4 bikes. We upgraded to e-bikes and I cut the bumper off and put on a "real" hitch. So far so good; I'd put 4 lightweight non-e-bikes on it without hesitation.

Since you are traveling and staying for 2 to 3 weeks and are comfy with the length and floor plan of what you are looking at (I'd choose the reflection based on the extra storage), I'd suggest the trailer rather than a 5th wheel. I don't see any other option really. Get a nice rack for the Kayaks and put the bikes in the bed and off you go on your daily adventures. No way you'd do that with a 5th wheel without switching a bunch of bikes and hitches over between a TT and the truck.

P.S. Not a fan of front mounted bike carriers... bugs, visibility, cooling, lighting - whew.... a lot to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by theroadcalls View Post
    Hi everyone...in my first post last week I got great input...hoping to get a little more info here. I have a family of four and we are looking to full time for 1 year. I am trying to decide between a 5th wheel (likely 28BH) and a TT (likely 2400BH or a Ref 312)...I am leaning towards a TT because it would make it easier to carry 4 bikes and 2 double kayaks on racks on the truck. However, the 5th wheel seems much more livable for this long on the road. Are there good carry options for 4 bikes and two 14' kayaks when pulling a 5th wheel? The general plan is to drop the trailer at location and stay for 2-3 weeks at a time...so most of our mileage will just be in the truck.

Thanks!
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BB&LAB View Post
    How long are the kayaks?
    They're 14'4" long. Might be able to hit 15' in that space... maybe...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Small world for sure. You never know, we may see you out there one of these days. We're really fond of Parks of the St. Lawrence lately. Close to home, good kayaking, good biking. Nice to go out and back and only burn a quarter tank of diesel.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're 14'4" long. Might be able to hit 15' in that space... maybe...
    Wow that space is more generous than I thought, our kayaks (12' each) would fit perfectly... that is the good news - bad news is we are otherwise very happy with our Solitude and no plans on replacing it. Kudos to you, nice set-up.
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We travel for months at a stretch working remotely and play hard on the weekends and evenings. We have a Momentum 28G TT Toy Hauler and it works great for us. Here is a pic of the load consisting of a Kawasaki KLR 650, mountain bike, recumbent bike, Utah Trikes fat tire electric trike (quite large), and two 12.5 feet kayaks. Plenty of room and we just unload at each stop taking only about 10 minutes once you know where everything goes. We went with the Momentum TT because it was the right price used and in great shape. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0361.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	30273

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a system like BB&LAB for our 13.5' kayaks. A goal post with kayak saddles off the front hitch and one bar with saddles on the truck. We use a hitch bike rack for our two bikes off the hitch on the back of our Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel. You can obviously get a 4 bike rack.
    Greg
    2018 Reflection 337RLS, 2017 F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD short bed, Anderson Ultimate hitch

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast