User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdan View Post
    Not to hijack this thread but how much space is needed between the back of the kayak and front of the 5th wheel? I have a Reflection 29RS and have 3' between the back of the truck cab and the front of the trailer. I haven't watched how close the front of the trailer gets to my truck rear window during sharp turns, I usually just watch the side corners.
    There is no definitive answer as the distance is a function of the 5er cap and how much it extends forward, truck bed, whether it is a long bed or short bed and the kayaks length, so becomes trial and error. In our case with 12' kayaks we could position the kayaks not to interfere with a fairly significant turn radius. The reason we went with the system I pictured earlier in the thread was because to properly position the kayaks, the cockpit needs to be placed between the roof rack bars which was not possible with our kayaks and have turning clearance. Now the kayaks are positioned properly and I do not have to worry about turn interference.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have Kayaks but also love the rear storage, mine holds a John Deere and it's driver!! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Deere (2).jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	30322Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rear storage (2).jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	30323
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobmerriken View Post
    We carry our bikes up front. I have a bike rack similar to you see on the front of some public buses but more heavy. We used to carry 3 bikes up front but now only carry 2. The bike rack fits in a front hitch receiver. Best place for us to carry bikes.

We tried carrying the bikes on the back of a truck camper before we moved up to a 5th wheel but there was too much bounce.

I have been told that you cannot carry bikes on the front of newer pick-up trucks because of various sensors. My truck is a 2003, so no worries there. If you have an older truck, I can go out and take pictures of our bike rack and send it to you, and also look around to see if they still make these. It is really easy to use - no straps, bungy cords, etc.

I have seen that rear rack that has been mentioned in the thread online. Not sure you could get 2 kayaks on there and 4 bikes. Maybe two kayaks and two bikes. It looks like a decent setup but pay attenetion to the kayak length. You would need to have two short kayaks.

I think the better option if you want to carry the kayaks and the bikes is the travel trailer option where you can load all of that in the back of your pickup and on a pickup rack. Also easier to carry around when you get to your destination.

Pay attention to the cargo carrying capacity when shopping for a new trailer. I suspect full-timing will require hauling additional cargo.

Any pics? What brand of truck and is it diesel powered?
    2020 Solitude 310GKR
    2003 F350 PSD

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    https://www.rvkayakracks.com/ Yak up might be able to hep with this which ever trailer yo decide to go with. And no, we have no experience with it.
    Two 14 foot kayaks, a couple of feet up off the road, would put there height about 16 feet. Probably a little to high.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theroadcalls View Post
    Hi everyone...in my first post last week I got great input...hoping to get a little more info here. I have a family of four and we are looking to full time for 1 year. I am trying to decide between a 5th wheel (likely 28BH) and a TT (likely 2400BH or a Ref 312)...I am leaning towards a TT because it would make it easier to carry 4 bikes and 2 double kayaks on racks on the truck. However, the 5th wheel seems much more livable for this long on the road. Are there good carry options for 4 bikes and two 14' kayaks when pulling a 5th wheel? The general plan is to drop the trailer at location and stay for 2-3 weeks at a time...so most of our mileage will just be in the truck.

Thanks!
    We have a front mount hitch on our F450 and carry a 13'6" kayak and a 13' paddle board over the hood, instead of over the bed. We also carry our bikes on the hitch on the back of the 5th wheel.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Setting Up Camp weekend warrior's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This issue has been one of my main concerns in recently switching from a TT to a 5er.

Already have a RV rated 2 bike hitch rack that we were using on the TT, which now rides on the back of our reflection. Just don’t have a good option for kayaks now other than mounting them over the truck cab. We will eventually want/need four kayaks or SUPs as our kids get older. I’d have no problem tandem towing a kayak trailer if it wasn’t illegal in most of the East Coast.

I’m looking into higher end inflatable watercraft that we can put into our truck bed when deflated (away from 5er connection of course) or put in our trailer.

Anyone using inflatables?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey we we too are looking into inflatables. Check out the Intel Explorer K2, lots of good reviews.

Setting Up Camp weekend warrior's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdan View Post
    Hey we we too are looking into inflatables. Check out the Intel Explorer K2, lots of good reviews.
    Thanks. We are looking at the Bote brand too. They are a little higher price point so I’d have to add one or two at a time, but they are nice looking toys!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BB&LAB View Post
    Here you go, sorry our kayaks are not on the racks, but will be in a month when we leave our current location.
    The kayak rack with kayaks on board.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	94296D8A-5A82-44CB-8D8C-0184CA7D1F72.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	30706
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast