User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kayaks & Bikes : 5th vs. TT

Hi everyone...in my first post last week I got great input...hoping to get a little more info here. I have a family of four and we are looking to full time for 1 year. I am trying to decide between a 5th wheel (likely 28BH) and a TT (likely 2400BH or a Ref 312)...I am leaning towards a TT because it would make it easier to carry 4 bikes and 2 double kayaks on racks on the truck. However, the 5th wheel seems much more livable for this long on the road. Are there good carry options for 4 bikes and two 14' kayaks when pulling a 5th wheel? The general plan is to drop the trailer at location and stay for 2-3 weeks at a time...so most of our mileage will just be in the truck.

Thanks!

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.rvkayakracks.com/ Yak up might be able to hep with this which ever trailer yo decide to go with. And no, we have no experience with it.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theroadcalls View Post
    Hi everyone...in my first post last week I got great input...hoping to get a little more info here. I have a family of four and we are looking to full time for 1 year. I am trying to decide between a 5th wheel (likely 28BH) and a TT (likely 2400BH or a Ref 312)...I am leaning towards a TT because it would make it easier to carry 4 bikes and 2 double kayaks on racks on the truck. However, the 5th wheel seems much more livable for this long on the road. Are there good carry options for 4 bikes and two 14' kayaks when pulling a 5th wheel? The general plan is to drop the trailer at location and stay for 2-3 weeks at a time...so most of our mileage will just be in the truck.

Thanks!
    We went the TT route with a thule rack with 78" bar over my tonneau cover. Can carry 6 bikes. Have not tried a kayak, but could probably make it work angled of the cab. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201014_155431~2.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	30149

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
    2018 GMC Sierra Denali HD
    2017 308BHTS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    https://www.rvkayakracks.com/ Yak up might be able to hep with this which ever trailer yo decide to go with. And no, we have no experience with it.
    Two problems with this set-up any kayak larger than 10' is going to extend above the air conditioners on the roof, there by creating a potential clearance issue. Second is getting your kayaks to the water if not at the camping spot.

To the OP we have a Solitude 5th wheel and have a Yakima kayak roller cradle style roof rack at the front of the cab, a Yakima kayak cradle rack mounted to a Thule Goal Post attached to the front hitch which allows us to move the kayaks forward and well out of the way of the 5er cap when turning. To make it easier to get the kayaks on the roof, I also installed a Yakima roof rack towards the rear of the cab in the traditional location and mounted a kayak/canoe rollers set to make it easier to move the kayaks forward into the travel position. As far as bikes, I suspect you can put a bike rack on the rear of the 5er/TT.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a front mount receiver hitch on my truck and run the bikes out in front.

I can also carry 4 kayaks on my Yakima?Thule roof mounts on the truck, and by keeping them far enough forward, clear the cap of the 5th wheel.

Disclaimer....I have an 8 ft bed crew cab truck.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Ha, funny that you brought this rack up. I replied this rack on another post yesterday. We met a fellow RVer on our last trip that this rack. They absolutely loved and had great service. Price tag is a little high but I can say that it was really solid.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BB&LAB View Post
    Two problems with this set-up any kayak larger than 10' is going to extend above the air conditioners on the roof, there by creating a potential clearance issue. Second is getting your kayaks to the water if not at the camping spot.

To the OP we have a Solitude 5th wheel and have a Yakima kayak roller cradle style roof rack at the front of the cab, a Yakima kayak cradle rack mounted to a Thule Goal Post attached to the front hitch which allows us to move the kayaks forward and well out of the way of the 5er cap when turning. To make it easier to get the kayaks on the roof, I also installed a Yakima roof rack towards the rear of the cab in the traditional location and mounted a kayak/canoe rollers set to make it easier to move the kayaks forward into the travel position. As far as bikes, I suspect you can put a bike rack on the rear of the 5er/TT.
    Can we see pictures of your setup? And you are absolutely right about having longer kayaks.

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a front rack for our two kayaks, which are 14'4" in length. Works well, and there's room on the roof for at least a couple of bikes, more with wider load bars. We also travel with two bikes each on a lot of trips, so four bikes. We'd use a combination of truck roof or truck bed and 5th wheel basements in the past.

One reason we bought a Solitude 380 is for the mega basement. I can get four bikes on the slide out tray or the two kayaks and two bikes. This is by far the best solution for us, to date, for carrying our toys. The 380 has a 12' garage but there's abandoned inner space so it can be expanded over two feet longer.

On our last trip out we saw a TT with kayaks up on the roof. Looked like a great way to get them out of the way but loading and unloading must be a challenge.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5b.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	30154
    2020 Solitude 380FL with B&W Companion 20K hitch
    2018 GMC Sierra Denali HD 3500 DRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Consider a toyhauler, get a garage to carry everything and then a second room and patio at base camp. Many people FT in these units because of the flexibility.

2cents
    Bob and Cheryl, Puka the doodle
    2018 Ram 2500 Crew,Diesel,4x4
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2012 Palomino 6.5 camper

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geodude View Post
    We have a front rack for our two kayaks, which are 14'4" in length. Works well, and there's room on the roof for at least a couple of bikes, more with wider load bars. We also travel with two bikes each on a lot of trips, so four bikes. We'd use a combination of truck roof or truck bed and 5th wheel basements in the past.

One reason we bought a Solitude 380 is for the mega basement. I can get four bikes on the slide out tray or the two kayaks and two bikes. This is by far the best solution for us, to date, for carrying our toys. The 380 has a 12' garage but there's abandoned inner space so it can be expanded over two feet longer.

On our last trip out we saw a TT with kayaks up on the roof. Looked like a great way to get them out of the way but loading and unloading must be a challenge.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5b.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	30154
    So that pic of the 2 kayaks is in your passthrough storage?

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast