User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the great response and advice.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We took our 2970RL to a local (within 30 miles) State Park for 4 days. I came to work and the DW stayed at the campsite. This was mostly so we could become familiar with the trailer and get it organized. You could do the same in your driveway. So the next trip, the first real trip, was a 9 day, 3 state park, 1000 mile journey to south Georgia. It worked out great with no major problems. I don't think a 600 mile trip is all that bad. Just be sure you have some tools.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    I certainly would not cancel the trip, but in your boots I'd be certain to do a very thorough Pre-Delivery Inspection before taking ownership of your new trailer.

This is the best advice, we have some lists here that can get you started
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...rms-(Multiple)
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Starwood View Post
    Thanks for the great response and advice.
    You're welcome. It has just occurred to me that I forgot about the winter factor in your situation.

However the only thing I'd change in my advice above is to remind that you'll be running the anti-freeze out of your plumbing systems as you do your thorough PDI, so you should be prepared with several gallons of antifreeze, the the additional half-hour or so required, and the knowledge of how to re-winterize your trailer before you pull it home.

Hope your adventure starts and finishes well.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A local trip was our original plan but because of the delays we may be set into freezing temps by the time we get delivery.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Starwood View Post
    A local trip was our original plan but because of the delays we may be set into freezing temps by the time we get delivery.
    Unfortunate about the delays but your trailer will ship from the factory already winterized. There's a decent chance that your dealer won't bother testing plumbing after it arrives.

However your thorough PDI will run water through plumbing / tanks / water pump / outside water fixtures / hot water tank / dumping valves etc. while also testing your furnace to keep the trailer warm while you've got water in your plumbing. Then you'll want to dump the tanks and the hot water tank and re-winterize the trailer to keep it safe until you've traveled out of freezing danger.

Good luck.

P.S. When you're responding to a person or their post here, it's best to use the Reply With Quote link at the bottom right of the message you're responding to. That will copy the original post into your response, which improves context for people reading later, and it also sends an alert to the person you're responding to so they'll be more likely to come back to the thread and read your response.

Welcome to the forum.
    Last edited by boyscout; 10-16-2020 at 01:41 PM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    Unfortunate about the delays but your trailer will ship from the factory already winterized. There's a decent chance that your dealer won't bother testing plumbing after it arrives.

However your thorough PDI will run water through plumbing / tanks / water pump / outside water fixtures / hot water tank / dumping valves etc. while also testing your furnace to keep the trailer warm while you've got water in your plumbing. Then you'll want to dump the tanks and the hot water tank and re-winterize the trailer to keep it safe until you've traveled out of freezing danger.

Good luck.

P.S. When you're responding to a person or their post here, it's best to use the Reply With Quote link at the bottom right of the message you're responding to. That will copy the original post into your response, which improves context for people reading later, and it also sends an alert to the person you're responding to so they'll be more likely to come back to the thread and read your response.

Welcome to the forum.
    Thanks! This is one of the best forums I’ve seen. Lots of knowledge to gain.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what others have posted on this site, GD may authorize a mobile repair person to fix your problem if you can't get an appointment at a dealer.
    I moved to FL over 20 years ago from PA, and I would sure hate to take a brand new trailer down salt covered roads...
    ~Dean

2019 Ford F250 Supercab, 6.2L
    2023 GD Imagine AIM 18BH
    2012 Harley FLHRC, Deep Purple,; 2012 Honda PCX150
    "Auctioneer, specializing in FL onsite auctions"

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSwick View Post
    From what others have posted on this site, GD may authorize a mobile repair person to fix your problem if you can't get an appointment at a dealer.
    I moved to FL over 20 years ago from PA, and I would sure hate to take a brand new trailer down salt covered roads...

Agree, that could be painful. I will adjust travel days as needed based on weather. The campground we’re going to allows you to wash the RV. It may be more of a problem when we get home.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boyscout is spot on when it comes to things to go over on pre delivery inspection but here are one or two that I would guess virtually no dealer does and few customers think about. I say this from personal experience. If you travel with mobile satellite for your RV bring it with you and hook it up so you can actually see the video and hear the audio. Same with over the air reception and cable reception. Every dealership waiting room has TV. No reason they cannot run cable coax to your trailer. Have the dealership fill all your tanks a quarter full the day before you get there. When you arrive you can remove the dump cap. If there is water you have a leaky dump valve. We purchased a 2019 Heartland only to find the black tank valve failed on our first outing (nasty surprise). Secondly, we had the rv back to the dealership twice to fix the satellite/cable coax. Unfortunately I took their word they had fixed the problem when they did not, had I of brought my satellite equipment I could have verified operability before I left. Dealer finally had to pull all new coax to resolve. Lastly I would suggest staying over night locally in your new RV so you can come back the next morning should you find something amiss. I know one dealership in Las Vegas who actually has onsite full hookups RV sites specifically for this purpose. Safe travels!!!
    2020 Solitude 372WB
    2017 F350 Superduty 4x4, Heavy Duty Tow Package
    2900 Superglide Hitch, MORryde Rubber Pinbox
    Zinny, Golden Retriever (rescue)
    Belle, Golden Retriever (rescue)

"Life With a Dog is a Gift"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12