User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Long distance first time trip

We are awaiting arrival of a new 2021 Imagine 2670MK. It is not likely to arrive before freezing weather due to multiple delays and probably won’t have a chance to do a shakedown trip close to home. We hope to spend a month in Florida come February. We have had several trailers over the years so we are not new to the process just not sure about a major trip like this being the first in this trailer. Is it a mistake to travel 600 miles from home for our first trip?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Starwood View Post
    We are awaiting arrival of a new 2021 Imagine 2670MK. It is not likely to arrive before freezing weather due to multiple delays and probably won’t have a chance to do a shakedown trip close to home. We hope to spend a month in Florida come February. We have had several trailers over the years so we are not new to the process just not sure about a major trip like this being the first in this trailer. Is it a mistake to travel 600 miles from home for our first trip?
    Humm, what I've been reading a lot lately is that some dealers wont service a tt if it wasn't purchased from them.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought about that. I’m going to check with the dealer when the trailer is delivered. Just doesn’t seem right that you would have to stay close to home to get it repaired.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some dealers will do warranty work on units they didn't sell, and some won't. My local dealer performed most of our warranty work even though I bought the 5'er out of state. If you have a FL destination in mind, you could contact a dealer in that area and explain what you're intent is and see if they would be willing. Just talk to the service manager, not a service advisor. I probably wouldn't worry about any real minor things, they can wait. But if anything major arises... Just a thought. Also, GD has authorized RV mobile techs to perform warranty work if you're away from your dealer and the closest dealer won't. Just coordinate that with GD first.

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Makes sense, thanks.

Tom

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't think twice about the trip. We picked ours up in Tampa, FL , camped at Disney for a week and then traveled 900 miles back home when we took delivery.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't sweat it. Just make sure your tank dumps, the fridge, the stove, microwave, and tv works. As others have posted you can always get GD to authorize a mobile service. We got our trailer in 2018 and proceeded to drive from California through UT, ID, WY, MT, then Alberta Canada and WA state for a total of a 6000 miles.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To the OP, pack'er up and go. You said you have had trailers before so you know what to go over before you leave. Fridge work? Water heater work? A/C work? Drain valves empty the tanks? Check tire pressures? All good? Hit the road and happy travels.

Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    Humm, what I've been reading a lot lately is that some dealers wont service a tt if it wasn't purchased from them.
    I heard of that (when shopping for a 303RLS) and I called called the GD warranty dept in Indiana. They said some dealers might do that, but obviously not what they want them to do. They won't force them to do the work but they (GD) will work with you to have the work done at any RV dealer even if not part of the GD network if necessary. Bottom line they said is to get your trailer fixed wherever you are, or as close to there as reasonable.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No better shakedown than a long trip! As others said, make sure the basics are functioning in terms of systems, make sure trailer brakes are working, get yourself a membership to a roadside assistance that can handle a trailer like Good Sam, and enjoy. Don't worry about what could go wrong or you'll never enjoy it!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Starwood View Post
    Both the availability and the quality of dealer warranty service can be problems - you cannot rely with certainty upon either. The problems are heightened by the fact that you'll be heading to Florida in winter months and therefore competing for attention with all the other people who also do that. Dealers in Florida offered me service with eight-week lead times, and that was before the pandemic which will almost certainly make things worse.

I certainly would not cancel the trip, but in your boots I'd be certain to do a very thorough Pre-Delivery Inspection before taking ownership of your new trailer.

You say you've had several trailers before this one so you have a better sense than some of what to look for. Nevertheless you'd be wise to look online for comprehensive PDI checklists, as well as ask the dealer in advance for the Grand Design PDI checklist, and arm yourself with a thorough list of things to check. There should be well over a hundred items on it.

Advise the dealer weeks in advance that you want to do a complete PDI yourself, and ask for full hookups on pickup day so you can do the PDI before taking delivery and handing over your check. (The dealer may as a result do a better-than-usual PDI - some don't do much at all - and fix issues before you get there.)

Once at the dealer actually DO the full PDI yourself anyway - it may take hours - even if the dealer tells you they've done it. Test and prove EVERYTHING before you accept delivery since the dealer will be inclined to fix problems faster before he has your money than after he has it.

If you leave the dealer lot with a trailer that you've proven to be 100%, and some basic electrical and mechanical tools to address simple problems yourself, chances go way up that you won't have any worries about trying to get dealer service.

Good luck.
    Last edited by boyscout; 10-16-2020 at 08:22 AM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast