User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    Also, getting to the correct amount of sag and measurement doesn't necessarily mean that you have enough tongue weight on the trailer. You may have...but unless you have weighed the setup on a CAT scale or similar, you are just guessing.
    This is excellent advice. Weigh your rig and see where you are at. Also As I instructed ensure you have the trailer frame brackets installed correctly IE the correct distance from the ball. This distance is important as this is how the leverage is applied when you tighten the chain. The further back the less tension, closer to the ball more tension, this is a direct relationship to the number of links that are required (along with lots of other variables). Your best plan is to make sure the chain is parallel to the bracket when applying tension. On my Equalizer hitch the brackets need to be 27 inches to 31 inches from the center of the ball, not sure what that measurement should be for your Blue Ox.

If you have verified that installation then you connect and weigh. The truck as configured for a trip by itself, then the trailer with no weight distribution, then finally the trailer with weight distribution. Those numbers are key.

You stated that you currently have the hitch ball level with trailer ball receiver. Not sure what Blue Ox states, but my Equalizer says level to one inch higher for the hitch ball. I am not sure the one inch will change the drop in the rear end. Weight is weight. It certainly won't hurt anything for you to try it. Another person stated to air bag it, you could certainly do that and eliminate the drop, as long as the rest of the setup works.

Because you are using a half ton , the drop is totally explainable as the half tons have soft spring rates. All trucks will have some kind of drop when they are pushed, half tons of all brands being the worst.

I recommend you double check your setup, weigh it, and if the weights look good bag it, weigh it again and make sure you have restored enough to the front axle.

Good Luck!
    Bill

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you to all. Tamrick nailed it. When I was going one link tighter it was raising the nose of the camper too much. I lowered the ball one setting on the shank. Was able to use 10th link from loose end and man it pulls so much better. This TV/TT likes it slightly nose down and not level. Nose up even slightly is no good at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Feather View Post
    Thank you to all. Tamrick nailed it. When I was going one link tighter it was raising the nose of the camper too much. I lowered the ball one setting on the shank. Was able to use 10th link from loose end and man it pulls so much better. This TV/TT likes it slightly nose down and not level. Nose up even slightly is no good at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Glad that you have it figured out. My 297 is slightly nose down as well by about 1/2 to 1". Seems like you needed a tighter setting to return more weight to the front of the truck but that made the trailer nose high. Either way glad that all the advice here helped and you are happy with the way it tows.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good news! Happy Trails!!!
    2019 Momentum 351M, Disc Brakes, Roadmaster Slipper Springs/shocks
    2018 F-450 Ruby Red
    B&W 25K Hitch
    2015 H-D Road Glide CVO / B&W Biker Bar

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you got it sorted. [emoji106]
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Seasoned Camper more tired since retired's Avatar
    southern Georgia, where gnats rule the world
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing you might also want to consider. I've had several F series trucks with sway control. When I ran into a sway issue with an equalizer hitch, I found turning off the sway control did help. When I went to a BlueOx SwayPro, I found while the Ford's sway control didn't seem to cause an issue, turning it off seems to give us less of an issue when passed by a semi. One question it seems no one asked, what bars are you using? The 750lb? When I moved from a 6000 lb trailer to an 8000 lb trailer, handling with the 750 lb bars just didn't feel right. Stepping up to the 1000 lb bars (you can purchase the bars) gives us a much better feel and actually helped smooth things out. Something you might want to consider.

We've moved from F-150 (3) to a F-250. Wish I had done earlier (purchased a 2019 f-150 in May 2019) moving to the 250 about a week ago. Plans are to head out with the trailer next week. First have to haul the combination to a level spot (hard to find around here) and make sure I have the setup right (ball height) since the 250 sits taller than the 150.
    2020 F-250 XLT SuperCrew 7.3L Blue Ox SwayPro, 2020 Imagine 2600RB,
    1600W Solar w/525AH LiFePO4, Victron 3000W, Road Armor w/wet bolt suspension, VisionWork Camera System, Peplink MAX BR1 Pro 5G Mobile Router,MicroAir EasyStart
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ FMCA#489460 Escapees SKP#166379

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blue Ox directions tell you that on level ground, with trailer level, you ball should be 1" higher than you trailer coupler. I had a blue ox and loved it. Easy setup IMO and the ability to loosen the chains based on weather conditions was great flexibility.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My instructions and the video I saw on you tube all said the top of the ball was supposed to be 1-2" ABOVE the top of the coupler. You should try this. Even if you solve it another way the antisway will likely work better if the hitch is setup correctly.
    Dan, Ponderosa Park, CO
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE (SOLD)
    2023 Hiker Mid Range Deluxe 5x9 (Due Oct 2023)
    2018 Nissan Titan Crew

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MachWun View Post
    Blue Ox directions tell you that on level ground, with trailer level, you ball should be 1" higher than you trailer coupler. I had a blue ox and loved it. Easy setup IMO and the ability to loosen the chains based on weather conditions was great flexibility.
    @MachWun

I just bought a new 22MLE and Blue Ox Swaypro. I am curious about how you adjust the chains for weather conditions. When di you change and how does it change the ride/sway?
    Dan, Ponderosa Park, CO
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE (SOLD)
    2023 Hiker Mid Range Deluxe 5x9 (Due Oct 2023)
    2018 Nissan Titan Crew

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [
    Quote Originally Posted by SailorDan View Post
    @MachWun

I just bought a new 22MLE and Blue Ox Swaypro. I am curious about how you adjust the chains for weather conditions. When di you change and how does it change the ride/sway?
    One of the posters mentioned using on the 9th link. I rode with it like that for a spell and was regretting my Blue Ox purchase. Rode great on 9 but when I caught a breeze or passed a semi the TV had to much movement. Moved it to 10 when there would be low wind and found I preferred it for staying straight. Coming back from the U.P., a lot of driving along the lake (usually pretty sizable wind, I moved it up to 11. She barely moved. When I stopped for gas, not only was it a healthy wind, but dang gusty.

For me, 10 kept her plum behind me and 11 when it was real windy and/or rainy.

You can look the system up. When they are tight and the trailer moves out of line, the tension bar wants to pull it back to straight harmony. I didn't find that it adversely affected anything else. I measured the height of my truck (unhitched) at the front and real wheels and compared them to heights when hitched. Cranking it another chain made ....maybe 1/80th difference.

Do yourself a favor, buy a swivel socket wrench, the socket, and 18-24" of gas pipe (whatever fits over the wrench). This way you not only can tighten with ease, but slowly release without the tool flying, your arm getting ripped off, or your knuckles losing layers of skin against the propane covers. That tool they give you is only worth the 10 cents the scrap metal place will give you for it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31uweg4DbHL._AC_SY400_.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	10.3 KB 
ID:	30403
    2020 Sierra 2500HD Denali
    Equalizer hitch (used Blue Ox before)
    Reflections 312bhts

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast