User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gasoline Generator in Fifth Wheel?

I have a Momentum right now but would like to switch to a Solitude some day. A big factor of not switching is not having enough run time out of a propane fueled generator. I would like to have the ability run a generator for 2 days like I can with my Momentum without having to carry spare propane bottles and the inconvenience of refueling them. Don't understand why they couldn't mount an under frame rear tank or a front divided compartment tank in the front compartment just move the battery out of the front compartment. Maybe hold 30 gallons would be nice.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what specific info are you looking for about a gas generator??
    Foard County News & Sassy Schoolmarm
    Nathan & Susan Gifford
    Belle, & Danke
    53 days camping 8000 miles 2017
    2017 Imagine 2800BH
    '07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax LBZ 4WD

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just wondering if anyone has modified a Solitude with onboard generator to run on gas by installing a gas tank somewhere or if there is aftermarket out there for such a mod.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spitballing and don't know if it would work or be legal but could one use a portable gas tank like an outboard boat motor tank? Easily changeable and refillable. Could run lines to almost anywhere nearby where there is space too.

Mike

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could probably use a fuel cell or something next to the generator. You'd have to be creative with a filler neck or it would be a pain to fill it. The Momentums have a tank that is installed on the frame rails, might be able to retrofit something, but again, the filler neck would need to be customized. You'd want a fairly large tank, the Onan generator burns about .8gph of fuel.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry was thinking along the lines of the 5 gallon outboard motor tanks that could be removed to fill. You know the ones with the primer bulb.

I know those 5500 onans burn a lot of fuel and a 5 gallon tank probably wouldnt last long but it might be possible if say a person had two tanks to swap out when one ran low.

We had one ( onan 5500 qg) in an impact toy hauler in our previous trailer. We actually downsized and are using portable 2000 inverter generators paralelled for our reflection 28bh. The built in was handy for sure, push button coffee a d toast in the mornings haha.

mike

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I think 30 gallons would be needed for convenience would give about 36 hours continuous run. I was thinking a 30 gallon tank in the front compartment next to the generator might be easiest install. But the battery would probably need to be relocated or possibly build a enclosure around the tank like the generator and mount the battery above it. Rear under tank like momentum would also work but would depend on other tank locations. I'm just trying to get some ideas there's a lot of talented people from different mechanical back grounds on here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will have to be careful where you put your generator if you are planning on running it from that location. Gas powered generator put off way more fumes then propane ones.
    I had my 2 portable generators sitting in the back of the truck. We pulled into Cabala's for the night and I didn't feel like unhooking or taking the generators out so I ran them from the truck.
    I felt it was open on the top is should be ok. Well I was wrong because all the fumes got sucked into the trailer and I had to turn them off.
    Allen & Denise
    Ford F350 Lariat CC SRW SB 4x4 Diesel
    2018 Solitude 310GK R

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would get the solitude with generator prep so it would be the same as it is in the momentum it's just a matter of locating the fuel tank.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're going to have to mount a fuel tank next to it, I'd really consider diesel instead. Burns a lot less fuel, and the fuel isn't nearly as dangerous. Diesel fuel barely burns, you can drop a match in it and it'll go out. Gas can be lit off by a spark.

Something like this:

https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect...000/p6600.html

Not cheap, but you get push button start and you can store the fuel right next to the genny without worry. I'm not sure I'd want to have a 10-30 gallon tank of gas sitting right next to a hot genny. Diesel, no problem.

Or, if you want to go the cheap route, I'd forget about RV gennys entirely (they are wildly overpriced) and get a good 3-4000 watt inverter and have someone build you a tail pipe.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast