User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much ccc do those solitudes have? I'd miss the straight line roof.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my old 5th wheel I had an Onan 7KW gas generator. I used a 12gal marine fuel cell with high performance hydraulic quick disconnect on a 10' fuel line. Needed to prime it the first start every time but it ran fine until it was time to disconnect. Terribly simple setup. No need to permanently mount a fuel cell IMHO.
    I'm currently in a 390RK and there's plenty of room for a generator in there, more than was in my Montana.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I totally agree with Overtaxed, go with diesel, less fuel consumption and the rpm is considerably slower than standard gas units plus diesel is less flammable. As far as enough fuel, your likely pulling with a diesel truck. No reason you cant put an auxiliary transfer tank in the truck bed and rig a manual or electric pump and transfer hose to your RV's generator fuel tank to refill as needed . My in bed transfer tank holds 41 gallons (in addition to my 55 gallon main tank). Just a thought.
    2020 Solitude 372WB
    2017 F350 Superduty 4x4, Heavy Duty Tow Package
    2900 Superglide Hitch, MORryde Rubber Pinbox
    Zinny, Golden Retriever (rescue)
    Belle, Golden Retriever (rescue)

"Life With a Dog is a Gift"

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wanted to put the diesel inverter generator in my Montana but it wouldn't fit. I've not measured to see if you can squeeze it into a solitude but it would be tight with the required heat shield.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5er Searching View Post
    I have a Momentum right now but would like to switch to a Solitude some day. A big factor of not switching is not having enough run time out of a propane fueled generator. I would like to have the ability run a generator for 2 days like I can with my Momentum without having to carry spare propane bottles and the inconvenience of refueling them. Don't understand why they couldn't mount an under frame rear tank or a front divided compartment tank in the front compartment just move the battery out of the front compartment. Maybe hold 30 gallons would be nice.
    The generator prep on the Solitude is for propane, the lines go to the propane line. I know, we have it. We wanted a gas or diesel generator but a certified custom gasoline tank that meets DOT standards is quite expensive, not so much for the diesel tank, but a 6Kw diesel generator is heavy on the pin and more expensive than a propane generator. We up sized from 30lb propane tanks to 40lb tanks. We get about 32 hours of run time with both ac's going and a tv.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5er Searching View Post
    I have a Momentum right now but would like to switch to a Solitude some day. A big factor of not switching is not having enough run time out of a propane fueled generator. I would like to have the ability run a generator for 2 days like I can with my Momentum without having to carry spare propane bottles and the inconvenience of refueling them. Don't understand why they couldn't mount an under frame rear tank or a front divided compartment tank in the front compartment just move the battery out of the front compartment. Maybe hold 30 gallons would be nice.
    All the tanks are the the same. I checked camping world and Amazon. The dealer we bought the RV at matched Amazon's price. It was a year ago, but I think it was right at $100. each.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can absolutely install a gas/diesel generator in a solitude, it does take a bit more install then a LP but you are correct with much longer run times. We are currently installing an Onan Diesel in a 2020 310GK for a customer, with a 40gal tank so they won't have to worry about filling up as often.

We have another customer who currently has a 5500LP for sale with very low hours so he con switch over to a gas/diesel option as well. Seams like a common theme!
    Solar and Generator install professional
    www.RMOff-Grid.com

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyMountainOff-Grid View Post
    You can absolutely install a gas/diesel generator in a solitude, it does take a bit more install then a LP but you are correct with much longer run times. We are currently installing an Onan Diesel in a 2020 310GK for a customer, with a 40gal tank so they won't have to worry about filling up as often.

We have another customer who currently has a 5500LP for sale with very low hours so he con switch over to a gas/diesel option as well. Seams like a common theme!
    My very first post, just joined the forum yesterday. Hopefully I don't do something dumb !

I just bought a Solitude 3540 and am struggling with this very idea, what fuel to go with on an Onan 5500. I have used 2 Honda 2000 gennys paralleled for 6 years on my previous Jayco 29QBS. They will run one 13.5k AC just fine along with the usual array of other electricity needs. BUT you have to take them off of Eco mode, raises the noise and will run about 5 hours in that configuration. I LOVE the single Honda running in Eco mode for about 8-10 hours of quiet electricity on 0.9 gal of gas when you don't need AC.

Alas, my DW has a really sensitive nose and can smell gas/exhaust when I don't even notice. So I got a 30 ft. 30 amp extension cord and can place the gennys well away from the RV. The only problem is the cord-pull start of the Hondas (for her if I am off fishing) and needing to protect them from rain.

Sooo, I'd love the push-button, no carry, no setup convenience of an on-board genny. Our new rig has 3 ACs (just configured that way on the dealer lot) and the Onan 5500 seems ideal EXCEPT for the fuel issue (I know I couldn't/wouldn't run all 3 ACs). As I understand (mostly from following this forum as a visitor for the last year), a 30# LP tank will only last about 5 hours running the 5500.

We boondock about half our time, and many campsites out in the dry sunny mountain west have no shade. AC is a must for us, and we take 1 week trips. We also do one or two three week long boondocks on our kids/grandkids remote, off-grid farm in Tennessee - gotta have that AC !!

I was thinking that gas may be the best compromise - easy to replenish from nearby gas stations (not so true for propane), could load up, say, four 5 gal gas cans and a marine type "main" supply tank. Put the supply tank on the ground under the bedroom overhang and go fishing !

Comments? Thank you all for any input.
    2021 Solitude 3540 GK, Reese Goosebox 20K, TST 507 TPMS, RV Airflow
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax/10 speed Allison, LB DRW 4WD
    previous: First "rig" was a '68 VW Bug and 2 backpacks
    1972 Starcraft 8 tent trailer, '73 Chevy Blazer
    2006 Fleetwood Williamsburg tent trailer, '07 Toyota 4Runner
    2015 Jayco Jay Flight 29QBS, 2012 Ford F-150 EcoBoost 4WD, Equal-i-zer hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Onan Generator Install on 2020 Solitude Completed

I just completed the install on an Onan 7000 gasoline generator on my 2020 Solitude. I too did not want a propane generator. I had a Newmar Cypress for 12 years with a factory installled Onan with 20 gallon tank and it was just too convienient to pull up the gas station, fill the truck up with diesel and the gen tank up with gas. I made a steel compartment to hold a 25 gallon aluminum gas tank. Cut a hole in the sidewall to access the propane compartment so I can fill from there and also properly vent the gas compartment. I have attached photos. Works pretty well. Dont even have to move the propane bottle to fill the tank.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_6824[1].jpg   IMG_6821[1].jpg   IMG_6823[1].jpg   IMG_6826[1].jpg   IMG_6820[1].jpg  

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Notenoughtime View Post
    I just completed the install on an Onan 7000 gasoline generator on my 2020 Solitude. I too did not want a propane generator. I had a Newmar Cypress for 12 years with a factory installled Onan with 20 gallon tank and it was just too convienient to pull up the gas station, fill the truck up with diesel and the gen tank up with gas. I made a steel compartment to hold a 25 gallon aluminum gas tank. Cut a hole in the sidewall to access the propane compartment so I can fill from there and also properly vent the gas compartment. I have attached photos. Works pretty well. Dont even have to move the propane bottle to fill the tank.
    Thanks for the reply and pics!
    2021 Solitude 3540 GK, Reese Goosebox 20K, TST 507 TPMS, RV Airflow
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax/10 speed Allison, LB DRW 4WD
    previous: First "rig" was a '68 VW Bug and 2 backpacks
    1972 Starcraft 8 tent trailer, '73 Chevy Blazer
    2006 Fleetwood Williamsburg tent trailer, '07 Toyota 4Runner
    2015 Jayco Jay Flight 29QBS, 2012 Ford F-150 EcoBoost 4WD, Equal-i-zer hitch

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast