User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    His does get its readings and from what?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

You would have to get on YouTube or the Curt website to get complete details. The way I understand is that it takes the torque from the transmission and engine rpms and figures out the weight. I was real surprised that it came as close as it did for the truck. I live on a fairly level street so I downloaded the app and plugged in the BetterWeight to the ODB. The device read the VIN and then I used the app and followed the instructions. I was very skeptic at first but it was right on when verified by CAT scale.

Here's the info from the Curt website:

The BetterWeigh system plugs into your tow vehicle’s OBD Plug and your VIN number is entered into the system. The BetterWeigh uses Newton’s Second Law of Motion, “force is equal to mass multiplied by acceleration.”

The “force” is calculated by measuring the “slip” across the tow vehicle’s torque converter as you accelerate. “Acceleration” is determined by an onboard accelerometer within the system. Once the system is installed and calibrated it can provide real-time measurements while driving or sitting still.

Hopefully we'll get the 311BHS back from the shop this week and I'll weight the trailer and the pin weight and report back. I am real interested in seeing how close it comes to the actual weights. I bought it just to check the weights after we load the trailer just to have a starting point. Most of us - unless we have a CAT scale nearby - are just guessing the weight of the truck, trailer and pin weight. I figured if it works it was worth the $100.00. FYI I got it from RVUPGRADES but have seen them on Amazon and etrailer.
    Last edited by AustexGP; 10-18-2020 at 01:23 PM.
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Reflection 311BHS purchased March 2017
    Jayco 32BHDS sold March 2017
    2012 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.6 Diesel (until May 2018)
    2015 Chevrolet 3500HD 6.6 Diesel

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iproff1 View Post
    They have a web site sells for 130.00us but you can buy it in Canada off of Amazon for 132.34ca which is less than the US. There are 217 reviews on Amazon Canada which should give you some good feed back.

Ken
    When I was looking Amazon had it on sale for $89.00.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckog View Post
    When I was looking Amazon had it on sale for $89.00.
    Ok, curiosity and this forum got the better of me and placed my order. I'll have to wait till spring to test it out.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AustexGP View Post
    I got this from RVUPGRADERS last month. I don't have my trailer (been at the dealer for blow-out repair since August) but I did weight the truck with it. The Curt Betterweight showed the truck to way between 8,500 and 9,000 pounds. I then took the truck to the CAT scales and weighted it. It weighed in at 8,545 pounds. So the Curt Betterweight was very close. The face of the betterweight is marked in thousands (8,9,10) there is no markings for 500 pounds. So you have to kind of guess how close you are to the next whole number.

Hopefully I'll get the trailer back next week and will try to measure the pin weight and the entire weight. Then go to the CAT scale to see how accurate is really is. But on first take I think that it would be a very good tool for us who do not have a CAT scale close.
    UPDATE:
    When I got the trailer back from the dealer (blow out repair) I plugged in the Curt BetterWeight and tested the truck only. The BetterWeight showed a weight of less than 9,000lbs (this is a not a direct readout but a guage, even though I've heard that they are working on a direct readout). I then took the truck to the CAT scale and it weight in at 8,450. We then hooked up the 311BHS and did a quick test while taking the 5th wheel back to storage. We got a total weight of just more than 19,000lbs. Which means that the trailer weights around 11,550 (20,000 - 8450). I guessing that this is fairly close to the trailer weight with only what we have added to the trailer (dishes, silverware, cooking pots, some can goods, sheets, pillows, blankets, full propane tanks, etc). In other words without a fully loaded trailer like you would have if you were headed out to a trip (guessing about 200-300 lbs more).

This month we are making some upgrades to the trailer. Once finished I'll try the BetterWeight again and then go to the CAT scales.

In my opinion, I think that this tool is a worthy investment. I does give you a fairly close estimate of the weight of the truck and the weight of the trailer. I have not tested, but it says that it will give you the hitch/pin weight. I'll try that when we get the trailer out of storage, however in my initial trail it seems like it was a 2 person task.
    Last edited by AustexGP; 02-07-2021 at 09:24 AM.
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Reflection 311BHS purchased March 2017
    Jayco 32BHDS sold March 2017
    2012 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.6 Diesel (until May 2018)
    2015 Chevrolet 3500HD 6.6 Diesel

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the betterweigh. I got it to keep an eye on my tongue weight. My tongue weight is pretty high and so I pay attention to how weight is distributed. So far, I have found the betterweigh fairly accurate. I do not get the same reading every time, but it is analog. Curt advertises that he betterweigh is accurate within +/- 5%. I have found it to be so.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Ynot4me2;326261]His does get its readings and from what?

The device is connected to all of the truck's information. I read that it somehow is able to calculate weight using info from the truck's torque converter.
    I have it on my truck and it works OK but not very precise. To use it you must be on level ground and accelerate at a moderate level for 15 seconds.
    As was stated above, the scale is a dial calibrated in 1000's of lbs. I tried it several times and got varied readings on the truck. It could have been that the road wasn't exactly level.
    How do we know how level a road is? For calibration, they tell you to be level and to know you are level, put the truck in neutral and if it doesn't roll away you are good.
    It is a good approximation of weight I suppose.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12