User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Garage & Ramp Angle Geometry - Questions

Hello everyone! I have been reading this forum for the past few months trying to decide on what to order. Before I get my heart set I want to make sure I check what’s important... that I can get my toy into the garage! So I have yet to find a discussion or information regarding the height of the garage floor above ground and how long the ramp is. Also I can see in photos that there seems to be a small dovetail.

I am looking at ordering a 398M. Local dealer doesn’t have any momentum’s otherwise I would just check myself. I have a vintage race car that I am planning on hauling around and it is quite low, so trailer entry is top of mind for me. I can figure out all of the math but I am hoping someone can provide me some simple dimensions:

1: What is the height of the garage floor above ground?
    2: How long is the ramp?
    3: If you have a dovetail, how long is it and what is the approximate drop?
    4: About how thick is the ramp door?

My issue isn’t really the approach angle its the breakover angle once the front tires make it inside.

If anyone is interested the car is a 1967 BMW 1600. Weighs 1950lb so I am thinking the 398 will be perfect for me.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I have time and am bored enough (LOL) I'll take some measurements of my 381 this weekend, which should be similar. Having said that, I wouldn't be overly concerned with the break-over angle as there are alternatives to get loaded. One thing I do is when I load my toys I raise the front jacks to lower the rear of the RV, thus reducing the angle. Also, check out @xrated post 9 in this thread for his solution loading his Spyder. This can give you some ideas to load your Beemer...

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ghlight=Spyder

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BmwTie View Post
    Hello everyone! I have been reading this forum for the past few months trying to decide on what to order. Before I get my heart set I want to make sure I check what’s important... that I can get my toy into the garage! So I have yet to find a discussion or information regarding the height of the garage floor above ground and how long the ramp is. Also I can see in photos that there seems to be a small dovetail.

I am looking at ordering a 398M. Local dealer doesn’t have any momentum’s otherwise I would just check myself. I have a vintage race car that I am planning on hauling around and it is quite low, so trailer entry is top of mind for me. I can figure out all of the math but I am hoping someone can provide me some simple dimensions:

1: What is the height of the garage floor above ground?
    2: How long is the ramp?
    3: If you have a dovetail, how long is it and what is the approximate drop?
    4: About how thick is the ramp door?

My issue isn’t really the approach angle its the breakover angle once the front tires make it inside.

If anyone is interested the car is a 1967 BMW 1600. Weighs 1950lb so I am thinking the 398 will be perfect for me.

Thanks in advance!

I just went out and measured my Momentum 394M (triple axle toy hauler) and came up with the following info. Floor height from the ground is approx. 39". The ramp length is right at 8' long. The Dovetail is approx. 24" in length and the drop from the floor of the trailer to the where the dovetail ends is approx. 6". The ramp thickness including the thickness of the three rubber bumpers on it is approx. 2 3/4" to 3" Hope this helps....and one further bit of info, just in case you do not already know. The ramp is rated at 3000 lbs of weight on it when it is configured as a ramp. The weight is 1500 lbs on it when configured as a patio.

I know the 398M will have an 18' garage (slightly less with the 3 season doors if you order it that way), but I would think that most of the measurements that I gave you would be fairly close to that model also.
    Last edited by xrated; 10-16-2020 at 12:48 PM.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    I just went out and measured my Momentum 394M (triple axle toy hauler) and came up with the following info. Floor height from the ground is approx. 39". The ramp length is right at 8' long. The Dovetail is approx. 24" in length and the drop from the floor of the trailer to the where the dovetail ends is approx. 6". The ramp thickness including the thickness of the three rubber bumpers on it is approx. 2 3/4" to 3" Hope this helps....and one further bit of info, just in case you do not already know. The ramp is rated at 3000 lbs of weight on it when it is configured as a ramp. The weight is 1500 lbs on it when configured as a patio.

I know the 398M will have an 18' garage (slightly less with the 3 season doors if you order it that way), but I would think that most of the measurements that I gave you would be fairly close to that model also.
    Exactly what I needed thank you!! Going to sketch this out and close the loop this weekend for future reference.

Thanks again!

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're welcome....glad I could help...hopefully!
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Follow up question just to double check. Its 39” to the floor not the bottom of the dovetail correct? So bottom of dovetail would be approximately 33”?.

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BmwTie View Post
    Follow up question just to double check. Its 39” to the floor not the bottom of the dovetail correct? So bottom of dovetail would be approximately 33”?.

That is correct. Floor height from the pavement to the garage floor...39" Dovetail drop approx. 6". So where the ramp and the start of the dovetail meet should be approx. 33"

And to follow up....if you haven't already read the post I made that LVNaturist linked to, I'm loading a Can Am Spyder that has a ground clearance of right at 4 1/2" up front....so it sits pretty low.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is correct. Floor height from the pavement to the garage floor...39" Dovetail drop approx. 6". So where the ramp and the start of the dovetail meet should be approx. 33"

And to follow up....if you haven't already read the post I made that LVNaturist linked to, I'm loading a Can Am Spyder that has a ground clearance of right at 4 1/2" up front....so it sits pretty low.
    Yeah my car has a wheelbase of 98” and 3” of ground clearance at the center. So my breakover angle is only 3 degrees. The ramp angle is approximately 19 degrees so I will need to get race ramps and then rig up some kind of other creative solution.

In this pic the green is normal red is added 8” rise race ramps. My rear tire needs to be at the red circled ‘x’ to clear the crest of the dovetail.

I am not giving up yet, hah.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0284.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	30166

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @BmwTie Looks like you've got the dimensions you need from xrated. Good luck with your solutions! @xrated thanks for stepping up and helping him out. I'll bow out now...

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]