User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hot In Fifth Wheel Upper Bedroom vs Main Level..

We have a 2020 Reflection 260RD fifth wheel. While in Lancaster Pa recently, we needed to use the furnace...first time. While there are two temp controls, the one in the upper bedroom is strictly for the AC. The temp control on the main level is for both AC and heat. I have had a fifth wheel before but did not notice the significant difference in temp. I did notice that the furnace is located in the same area of the upper bedroom vent...when it is blowing, you can actually see the glow of the furnace in the ductwork. For example, to permit the upper bedroom to be comfortable, I had to set the temp on the main floor at 63. Even at 63, when the furnace kicks in, the bedroom will heat up some for a very short period, I mean heat up.

My thought is to close (block off) the floor vent in the upper bedroom. Our older fifth wheel did not have a heat vent in the upper bedroom. The problem is if we had guests in the lower level on the couch or drop down dining room table ( for a bed), they would be cold and we would be at times (when the furnace kicks in) warmer than desired. With that vent right above the furnace...that room gets hot really fast. With the main level during the day set at 70-71, the bedroom can hit 85-90.

Anyone ever have this issue and did blocking the vent resolve the issue. I would use metal sheeting to close it off. Thoughts and feed back welcome.
    Terry and Elizabeth
    2020 Reflection 260RD Using Anderson Hitch
    2020 F350 SuperDuty Diesel Crew Dually Long Bed

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We blocked off our bedroom vent. It's been like that for almost the entire time we had it, I dont even recall what we used. Now the bedroom doesnt get hot if we use the furnace. We dont care to sleep in the heat, so there was never a need to unblock the vent.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same here.. We don't like to sleep in the heat.. I did not realize that the vent in that room is right on top of the furnace and feels like a blow torch. I will have to measure the vent and see if I can find a metal one that can be closed or take sheet metal and cut it out to fit inside the existing vent cap, some how. In the dark, there is a glow from the furnace..crazy!
    Terry and Elizabeth

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nevermind, my answer doesn't apply.
    Last edited by livinthelife; 10-16-2020 at 02:23 PM.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    nevermind, my answer doesn't apply.
    No fireplace...so that does not help us. I think I have to cap that upper bedroom vent somehow.
    Terry and Elizabeth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same here with my 2400 BH. The bedroom was literally a sauna, even though the thermostat is located there, but the bunks and especially the bathroom were freezing. My solution (for now) was to use heavy duty foil (folded, making 2 layers) and block off the bedroom vent (almost completely) and block off 1/2 of the front vent in the living room/kitchen. The result is more warm air being pushed to the rear of the trailer, where it seems to be needed the most. The bunks now seem to stay warm and I can feel some warm air coming from the vent in the bathroom although, it still gets chilly in there- I plan to dig into this issue down the road. There still seems to be enough airflow for the heater and with the bedroom door closed, the heater seems to have more “normal” run cycles. I’ll also add that while I was blocking off the vents, I noticed a few holes in the ductwork that I had to patch up. As I dived into fixing that, I was disappointed with how sloppy the wiring and plumbing looks behind the cabinets and right next to the heater. Some of that mess I cleaned up, most will have to wait until I have much more time. Not good for my OCD lol.
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro Double cab

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use a heavy fabric carpet stair tread. Has a backing. Been 2 plus years and no discoloration or melting....
    Last edited by Jims94vmx; 10-16-2020 at 03:27 PM.
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)
    720w solar, 100/50 Victron scc

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by That 1 Ron View Post
    Same here with my 2400 BH. The bedroom was literally a sauna, even though the thermostat is located there, but the bunks and especially the bathroom were freezing. My solution (for now) was to use heavy duty foil (folded, making 2 layers) and block off the bedroom vent (almost completely) and block off 1/2 of the front vent in the living room/kitchen. The result is more warm air being pushed to the rear of the trailer, where it seems to be needed the most. The bunks now seem to stay warm and I can feel some warm air coming from the vent in the bathroom although, it still gets chilly in there- I plan to dig into this issue down the road. There still seems to be enough airflow for the heater and with the bedroom door closed, the heater seems to have more “normal” run cycles. I’ll also add that while I was blocking off the vents, I noticed a few holes in the ductwork that I had to patch up. As I dived into fixing that, I was disappointed with how sloppy the wiring and plumbing looks behind the cabinets and right next to the heater. Some of that mess I cleaned up, most will have to wait until I have much more time. Not good for my OCD lol.
    That is an interesting idea. My wife said it is good to 500 degrees...so should work. I will have to take the vent out and see how I can ensure the foil stays in place. Thanks! We have to take the sauna feeling out of that room, for sure.
    Terry and Elizabeth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by terryriddle View Post
    That is an interesting idea. My wife said it is good to 500 degrees...so should work. I will have to take the vent out and see how I can ensure the foil stays in place. Thanks! We have to take the sauna feeling out of that room, for sure.
    First, I popped out the diffuser that allows you to direct the air from the vent housing. It’s just held in at the center. Next, I removed the vent from the wall by removing two screws and slightly pulling the vent out. I folded the foil so it makes two layers then basically wrapped the vent opening taking into account how much I wanted to block. The excess foil will wrap onto the rear of the vent and duct. I then re-installed the vent back into the wall, which mostly holds the foil into place, then I popped the diffuser back into place. Yeah, hillbilly engineering at its finest but it seems to work and isn’t very noticeable, at least on my camper. If the foil starts to bug me, I’ll get some adjustable vents.
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro Double cab

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is the nature of the beast, heat rises. I have a 260RD also but instead of the furnace I use a 5000 watt oscillating space heater placed in front of the dining table. It takes some time but it will make the trailer quite comfortable. Through the night I'll wake up hot with the covers thrown off. It's time then to turn down to a lower setting and back to bed. When it's time to sit and have coffee in the morning I need to turn it back up to warm the dining area.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 10-16-2020 at 04:01 PM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast