User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Emergency Road side set up?

2021 Reflection 31mb here. I was surprised to find out my camper didn’t come with a jack???

What’s in your equipment “must have” list to change your tire on the roadside?

Jack? Stands? Tire iron?

Soup to nuts, what should I have in my kit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Reflection 31mb
    2020 Ford F350 Lariat SRW

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep a Powerbuilt jack/stand combo, 18v impact wrench and some harbor freight impact sockets/extensions that live in the truck, torque wrench, a decent work light in case of a flat at night time. In a pinch I could also use my campers hydraulic jacks to get the wheel off the ground, but I realize that doesnt work for everyone. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20201017-073342_Chrome.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	30182

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I carry a bottle jack (kinda looks like a jack stand), a 1/2" DeWalt cordless impact driver and a 1/2" torque wrench. I also carry one of those drive on ramps but with the 16" wheels you need to add a 2x8 under the ramp for the wheel to clear. The ramp is a back-up to my bottle jack. So far I have had two flats while on the road.
    John & Cindy
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS
    2018 Ford F250 6.7 PSD

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I carry the Powerbuilt jack/stand mentioned above, a bottle jack, a Trailer Aid Plus and various blocks.

The Trailer Aid needs just the right ground conditions to work on my RV, but it also works to get extra ground clearance to be able to get the Powerbuilt in place with a flat.

Be sure you have a lug wrench that will fit your trailer wheels and a torque wrench for reinstalling a wheel.

The handiest thing to have is a plugging kit and a compressor. It is often a huge deal to be able to plug the leaking tire, refill it and drive a few miles to a service facility or a safer place to change the tire.

In addition to the above, the few hundred dollars it costs for a TPMS is money very well spent. It can help you avoid a flat along the road and prevent the extensive damage often caused when a tire blows and the carcass begins chewing on your trailer.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good suggestions.
    Do y’all unhitch from your truck when you change a flat? I suspect not, but just trying to think through the process when it happens.

I did buy a TST TPMS to install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Reflection 31mb
    2020 Ford F350 Lariat SRW

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leave it hitched, especially on the side of the road. It will also help to keep the trailer from rolling.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I learned a lesson last week. I also carry a bottle jack for changing tires along the roadside. Last week while returning home from four nights of camping, I had a left rear tire come apart (a Goodyear Endurance, load range E, with 26,000 miles on it). I soon learned that with just a wheel and no tire in place, the axle hung too low to slide the bottle jack under the axle. Fortunately I was able to use my Anderson leveler on the good tire and raise the axle up high enough to use the bottle jack. There was still plenty of thread left on the 2.5 year old tire before it blew, and it had 80 psi pressure 15 miles prior to the failure. I was planning on replacing my tires next summer, but replaced all four tires (with new GY Endurance tires) after we arrived home.
    As others have noted, there was no indication that the tire blew. I just happened to look in the side view mirror at the right time and saw smoke and a tread carcass rolling along the side of the trailer. I will purchase a TPMS before our next trip in the spring. I was very lucky as the tire did no damage to the trailer.

Bill
    Last edited by sylbill; 10-21-2020 at 10:52 AM.
    2017 Reflection 303RLS
    2017 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Duramax
    Curt Q20 and R20 slider with GM factory pucks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sylbill View Post
    I learned a lesson last week. I also carry a bottle jack for changing tires along the roadside. Last week while returning home from four nights of camping, I had a left rear tire come apart (a Goodyear Endurance, load range E, with 26,000 miles on it). I soon learned that with just a wheel and no tire in place, the axle hung too low to slpide the bottle jack under the axle. Fortunately I was able to use my Anderson leveler on the good tire and raise the axle up high enough to use the bottle jack. There was still plenty of thread left on the 2.5 year old tire before it blew, and it had 80 psi pressure 15 miles prior to the failure. I was planning on replacing my tires next summer, but replaced all four tires (with new GY Endurance tires) after we arrived home.
    As others have noted, there was no indication that the tire blew. I just happened to look in the side view mirror at the right time and saw smoke and a tread carcass rolling along the side of the trailer. I will purchase a TPMS before our next trip in the spring. I was very lucky as the tire did no damage to the trailer.

Bill

If the tire still held air the TPMS would not have known there was a problem.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a cheap Harbor Freight 6,000 lb bottle jack, a 1/2" breaker bar and a 1/2" torque wrench. I'm not a fan of those Trailer Aid one wheel lift things as they put all the weight on one axle. With a bottle jack under the spring perch you only need to lift the axles 1"+ to remove the tire. No different than driving over an irregularity in the road.
    Leave it hitched up.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leave it hitched.

-8 ton Harbor Freight bottle jack and my F450 bottle jack
    -4 layers of 2x12 built as a ramp just in case I cant get under the axle in need of wheel change, used like the Andersen leveler.
    -Dewalt 1/2" cordless impact (capable of removing my F450 lug nuts)
    -short 1/2" extension (3-4")
    -deep socket for lug nut
    -1/2" torque wrench (capable of torque for F450 lug nuts)
    -Viair 450P-RV portable air compressor kit
    -LED road flares, magnetic/rechargeable (Superbrightleds)
    -small piece of 1" rubber mat to prevent jack from sinking in soft ground

All of this is stored in my toolbox in bed of my F450.
    2019 Momentum 351M, Disc Brakes, Roadmaster Slipper Springs/shocks
    2018 F-450 Ruby Red
    B&W 25K Hitch
    2015 H-D Road Glide CVO / B&W Biker Bar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast