Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slideout Awning Info for Reflection 303 RLS

Hi All,

I'm in the process of budgeting upgrades and changes to our incoming 303. Some upgrades we're going to do are ones we loved in our Cameo such as the Seelevel II sensors, shower soap/shampoo dispenser, and electrical management system. Others are from lessons learned and even some from you guys which brings me to the point of the post. Has anyone installed slide toppers personally? Anyone do it with the 303? I'm not sure of differences between models and understand that others may have the same dimensions or similar. I've read the issue with toppers and the door-side slideout. I don't have access to the RV for dimensions, but even so I'd like to ask if you'd share your brand, dimensions, and opinions about your install. I'm pretty sure this is something I can do to save some ducks vs. a dealership $2K install.

We were supposed to pick up tomorrow, but the ice and snow may prevent that. I'm happy to report they have installed the new tires and second AC. Appreciate any help or approach to the matter.

Brent
    Brent & Gina
    2018 Ford F250 PSD Crew Cab
    SuperGlide 16K Hitch
    Grand Design 303 RLS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Brent,

We had slide toppers installed on our 303 by our dealer. I know there was a delay because they had to re-order the right side one (I assume because the standard size for this width slide would not clear the awning)

This is the manufacturer's label on this topper
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	1543

This is the tight clearance to the awning. Our awning just kisses the end of the topper as it goes by.

Views:	165 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	1544

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Rob. How does your awning speakers sound? The dealer sent me a pick of my 303 and I didn't see any speakers in the side so I started doing some research on it. Found out they're putting them in the awning arms now. Looks like the awning is shorter overall too. Hopefully we can pick up on Monday or Tuesday.
    Brent & Gina
    SuperGlide 16K Hitch
    Grand Design 303 RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brent,
    Yes, I personally installed slideout toppers on my 2015 303RLS. I installed Carefree of Colorado SOKIII covers with built-in deflector, but not having the metal cover. I ordered the SOKIII's from: RVandAutomotiveParts.com . The ones I installed are white (my choice). Part numbers etc are as follows:

Bedroom Slideout: UQ0770025 (canopy length: 83.5"; Rollbar Cut Length: 83.25"; Summit Deflector Lgt: 83.38")
    Dining Area Slideout: UQ1330025 (canopy length: 139.5"; Rollbar Cut Length: 139.25"; Summit Deflector Lgt: 139.38")
    Kitchen Slideout: UQ1490025 (canopy length: 155.5"; Rollbar Cut Length: 155.25"; Summit Deflector Lgt: 155.38")

*** The Kitchen Slideout requires the Carefree of Colorado "Hidden Deflector Mounting Bracket" (2 required, I used 3 and am glad). Brackets sold directly from Carefree of Colorado for $21.01 ea plus $10.00 freight. These brackets make it possible to mount the cover at/on the bottom edge of the room flange. This is necessary due to the location of the refrig top vent.

The installation is fairly simple if you are DIY competent. Use a level for layout liines, pre-drill pilot holes for self-tapping screws, use silicone in holes and with brackets, etc. Measure twice and drill once !!
    The covers with vinyl installed have significant weight; however, paying attention to the wrap direction, removing the vinyl from the tube prior to setting the tube on the mounting brackets, then taking the vinyl onto the roof of the RV and feeding it back onto the tube makes this a one-person installation. Just don't fall off the RV !!!

Actually I wish that I had installed the one on the kitchen slideout first because that is when I was informed by Carefree of Colorado about the hidden brackets. If I had known about them I would have used them on all three covers even though that does add to the cost. They make a cleaner installation IMO.

Hope this helps. If you need any information about this install just let me know.
    Rich Kaiser
    2018 GD Reflections 337RLS, 2021 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 CC w/auto level dually, TrailAir pinbox, B&W Companion hitch, Fold-A-Cover Tonneau

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rich!
    Brent & Gina
    SuperGlide 16K Hitch
    Grand Design 303 RLS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Brent,

Our outside speakers are in the wall. I have not seen a setup with speakers in the awning arm.

WRT Retread68's comment on clearing the fridge vent with the topper, that does not seem to be a problem with the Dometic toppers.

Views:	103 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	1545

Not trying to say one make is better than the other . . . just an observation.
    Ours have worked well, with no problems. They are more horizontal than would be ideal, so if there is a style that raises the wall attachment above the original drip rail, that would be beneficial.

Views:	120 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	1546

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put Dometic toppers on my previous RV that looked exactly like Rob's (except for color). This time I went with Carefree of Colorado because I had not used them before. That's a good reason isn't it ??!!!
    oh me. After a couple years I'll vote for one being better than the other, but at this point I can't give a personal preference other than for hardware appearance; which is like everything else - everyone has a like or dislike.

Like Rob, I would like a bit more slope, but was not willing to add another drip rail above the existing one. Sorry I don't have any pictures, but in about a week the snow/ice should be gone and could get some then. Dometics are just as easy to install.

Yall have a wonderful day.
    2018 GD Reflections 337RLS, 2021 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 CC w/auto level dually, TrailAir pinbox, B&W Companion hitch, Fold-A-Cover Tonneau