User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy smokes. 1" ? I highly doubt you could build a header strong enough with only 1" of thickness allowed.
    I didn't know any manufacturers were building walls with 1" studs except for maybe really low end smaller units.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Chip
    Thank you for all of the great info! We just purchased this same 260RD in December and have already had the Schwinteks replaced once. The wall is bowing pretty good too but the dealer said it was normal and he'd seen worse. I would love to get a look at the rest of the pictures of your repair. You say that you no longer have this rig, is this issue the main reason? What did you move into?

Thanks again
    Jason

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by badog77 View Post
    I am having the same wall bowing issue with my 2021 RD260. Have been in constant contact with GD but today this was their email to me. I think this is unsatisfactory. This is straight from their email today.

This is not a defect or a failure, we have vetted this out with a few other units over the past year or two when brought to attention. This is a 150 Series Reflection with the 1” wall. This will bow in the extended position up to 1 ½” based off our investigations due to the weight of the slide room. This is a non-issue and not a defect or failure but rather just a bow in the wall due to associated components.
    Holy smokes. Was considering once again a GD 260 because our current rig is a little tight. This single post just took GD (once again) out of the running.

Thank you.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always liked Grand Design but may have to consider another brand when it's time for me to upgrade. I want to stay with a 5th wheel under 30' but I don't like the heavy schwintek slide in the 260. I see they're installing 12 volt fridges now also. I'm not a fan of them either. I do a lot of dry camping and a 12 volt fridge would require a few hundred watts of solar or a generator running for hours every day.
    I may have to look at an Eagle HT 24RE. It's under 30', large holding tanks, has a choice of fridges and a rack and pinion slide.
    Last edited by grampscamper; 09-17-2021 at 10:24 AM.
    2023 Reflection 150 Series 260RD
    2022 Ford F350 SRW CC 4X4 Lariat 6.7 camper package, B&W Companion RVK3300

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grampscamper View Post
    I've always liked Grand Design but may have to consider another brand when it's time for me to upgrade. I want to stay with a 5th wheel under 30' but I don't like the heavy schwintek slide in the 260. I see they're installing 12 volt fridges now also. I'm not a fan of them either. I do a lot of dry camping and a 12 volt fridge would require a few hundred watts of solar or a generator running for hours every day.
    I may have to look at an Eagle HT 24RE. It's under 30', large holding tanks, has a choice of fridges and a rack and pinion slide.
    Can’t go wrong with Jayco. Quality trailer

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI:
    Our 260RD is just a year old and we have used it a lot. We have had no issues with the slide, the Schwintek system or any bowing of the side walls. We do use a dry lube on the slide rails. It moves in and out very smooth. Our 260rd has a 4-door 12cu/ft reefer that runs on LP or AC. Our last dry camping a few weeks ago was 1-1/2 weeks along the ocean in central coast Ca. It was fog until noon and then sun until dusk. We have 1 solar panel on the roof and 2-6volt AGM bat's. On that trip we never used more than 30% bat cap on any one day. I took along the gen just in case, but never used it. So far for us the 260RD has been a good fit. We have had no issues other than the small normal stuff.
    2021 GD 150 Series Reflection 260RD, Lifted 3" with solar. Lippert Turning Point Pin Box. 300watt Inverter. TV = 2021 4wd Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab I6 Cummins Diesel, 6'4" bed, Curt A16 puck system, Custom Bed Tank.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rbolam View Post
    FYI:
    Our 260RD is just a year old and we have used it a lot. We have had no issues with the slide, the Schwintek system or any bowing of the side walls. We do use a dry lube on the slide rails. It moves in and out very smooth. Our 260rd has a 4-door 12cu/ft reefer that runs on LP or AC. Our last dry camping a few weeks ago was 1-1/2 weeks along the ocean in central coast Ca. It was fog until noon and then sun until dusk. We have 1 solar panel on the roof and 2-6volt AGM bat's. On that trip we never used more than 30% bat cap on any one day. I took along the gen just in case, but never used it. So far for us the 260RD has been a good fit. We have had no issues other than the small normal stuff.
    That's great to hear. I think I could make it work but I'm not a fan of the Schwintek slide, especially with a large heavy fridge. I don't like the new 12 volt fridges either. I've read of a few issues with them. I like old reliable equipment. I much prefer a rack and pinion slide. Fewer issues and RV techs like them much better. The rack and pinion slide doesn't put any stress on the side walls. In my opinion a much better design. I don't like to hear that it's normal for a wall to bow 1" to 1.5". Doesn't make me want to run out and drop $50,000.00 or more on a RV.
    If Grand Design doesn't have a suitable 5th wheel under 30' when it's time to upgrade I will look at other brands. I would prefer to stay with GD but there isn't anything that suits my needs at the moment.
    Last edited by grampscamper; 09-17-2021 at 03:41 PM.
    2023 Reflection 150 Series 260RD
    2022 Ford F350 SRW CC 4X4 Lariat 6.7 camper package, B&W Companion RVK3300

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I completely understand.
    2021 GD 150 Series Reflection 260RD, Lifted 3" with solar. Lippert Turning Point Pin Box. 300watt Inverter. TV = 2021 4wd Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab I6 Cummins Diesel, 6'4" bed, Curt A16 puck system, Custom Bed Tank.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

structural problems

Quote Originally Posted by falconhunter View Post
    Here is a problem we were having with our 2021 260RD. I want to say at this time that Grand Design was willing to take my rig back to the factory to come up with a repair and possibly replace the entire side wall. I wasn’t comfortable with that nor did I want to have all those miles put on my rig and be without for who knows how long so I fixed it myself. Our wall is straight and solid now and the slide works much better, smoother and the repair looks like it belongs there.
    Here is a link to a video of the bow in the wall with the slide out extended. I have an extendable level from the top of the wall to the base of the wall and I have 1” bow in the wall caused by the cantilever weight of the slide out on the wall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3GJ...ature=youtu.be

The slideout always looked out of plumb with the wall so I started looking at this more closely. Here is what I found.
    I was standing in the hallway on the top of the stairs and noticed the whole wall was bowing out around the slideout. If you look down the wall towards the rear of the slide you can see a big bow in the wall. It is very obvious when you’re looking for it.

I measured the width of the opening for the hallway at the floor by the bottom of the stairs and it was 27”. Then measured it at the top by the ceiling and it was 27” but when I measured the opening at the top of slideout it was 28”. The wall is bowing out 1 full inch!!

Next, I brought the slide in all the way and measured the opening again at the top of the slideout again and it was 27.25” so the wall flexed ¾” just by moving the slide in. This is way too much movement. All my measurements were done with an empty fridge and I would think they would be compounded with 100 pounds or so of food in the fridge and freezer. Here is a link to what the repair looks like from the inside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJtUBtcGYac

I have a detailed material list and step by step instructions as to how to do this repair. I feel this is a much better repair than what GD would have done and they reimbursed me for all my materials and it didn’t void my structural warranty. I did not want my wall replaced, that would have just opened up another can of worms and besides I’m extremely comfortable with my repair. I am a retired architect and home builder and had no problem doing this repair.

Chip
    Looking at the information with your list of items to buy the only thing I see missing is details where to drill holes and how far from the framework of the slideout, your top and bottom holes for your tek screws....I can only assume there is metal to screw into? Also, the 2 5/16 holes with washers I wonder is the header horizontal and how far over must I go from the wood trim to place the 2x2 tubing? I s the 1x4 the spacing between the tube and the wood trim on the inside? Can you send drawing of the frame?

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sent you a pm

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast