User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2021 260RD structural problems

Here is a problem we were having with our 2021 260RD. I want to say at this time that Grand Design was willing to take my rig back to the factory to come up with a repair and possibly replace the entire side wall. I wasn’t comfortable with that nor did I want to have all those miles put on my rig and be without for who knows how long so I fixed it myself. Our wall is straight and solid now and the slide works much better, smoother and the repair looks like it belongs there.
    Here is a link to a video of the bow in the wall with the slide out extended. I have an extendable level from the top of the wall to the base of the wall and I have 1” bow in the wall caused by the cantilever weight of the slide out on the wall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3GJ...ature=youtu.be

The slideout always looked out of plumb with the wall so I started looking at this more closely. Here is what I found.
    I was standing in the hallway on the top of the stairs and noticed the whole wall was bowing out around the slideout. If you look down the wall towards the rear of the slide you can see a big bow in the wall. It is very obvious when you’re looking for it.

I measured the width of the opening for the hallway at the floor by the bottom of the stairs and it was 27”. Then measured it at the top by the ceiling and it was 27” but when I measured the opening at the top of slideout it was 28”. The wall is bowing out 1 full inch!!

Next, I brought the slide in all the way and measured the opening again at the top of the slideout again and it was 27.25” so the wall flexed ¾” just by moving the slide in. This is way too much movement. All my measurements were done with an empty fridge and I would think they would be compounded with 100 pounds or so of food in the fridge and freezer. Here is a link to what the repair looks like from the inside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJtUBtcGYac

I have a detailed material list and step by step instructions as to how to do this repair. I feel this is a much better repair than what GD would have done and they reimbursed me for all my materials and it didn’t void my structural warranty. I did not want my wall replaced, that would have just opened up another can of worms and besides I’m extremely comfortable with my repair. I am a retired architect and home builder and had no problem doing this repair.

Chip

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chip
    I saw your response in another thread and then caught this one of yours. I really hate going looking for problems after all I've been through but for giggles I went and looked as you did to sight the wall and nothing untoward looking stood out. So I went and got my tape. At the ceiling I measured 27-1/4" across the entry, at my chin I measured 27-1/2", waist height measures 27-5/8" and at the floor 27" so there is deflection there with the slide out. When I can get some help I'll bring the slide in and check.
    The problems I had were it didn't seem that the slide motors were in sync so the stair side was still going open when the dinette end stopped. I also had a large gap on the front outside seal when the slide was shut. Although I was told there was nothing they could do when I asked at the service dealer, the syncing problem was fixed and the gap only noticeable at the bottom of the slide when I got it back.
    I would be curious to learn how you fixed yours. Not that I want to open a can of worms but now that I know it'll be something that I'll be attentive to. You know like that song that becomes an earworm. Also did you do anything to stiffen the other side?
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 10-17-2020 at 05:34 PM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you've ever seen the plans for the wall framing, which detail the connections, you'd quickly see what likely happened in that way. Great repair!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    If you've ever seen the plans for the wall framing, which detail the connections, you'd quickly see what likely happened in that way. Great repair!
    Yes I have the drawings. They sent them to me. Engineering mistake in my opinion. Header too small and too long. Cripple studs instead of king studs both sides of slide opening.
    Chip
    Last edited by falconhunter; 10-17-2020 at 06:39 PM.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if this link will work but here is a material list, photos and write up as to how to do the repair. Also I would be glad to assist anyone wanting to do the repair if they are close to or want to travel to my area in Burnet Texas in the beautiful hill country. I have a full hookup 50 amp guest site but have winter Texan friends arriving around the 15th of November and staying for the winter.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KhA...ew?usp=sharing

Chip
    Last edited by falconhunter; 10-17-2020 at 06:36 PM. Reason: forgot to add link

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We also have a 2021 260RD that is currently at our dealer with a slide issue. Our slide got stuck on rear side fully extended. We finally discovered that the bottom rear guide was locked up after removing moldings to get to and remove the motor and verify that it was turning. We had to remove the bottom rear guide to get the slide in so we could get home. I wonder if what you are saying could have anything to do with our issue. I tried to watch your videos, but none of your links will work for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HI everyone, just read this post and now very curious. We just purchased a 2021 260RD in December 2020. So i will check this out when i can open the slide fully which i cannot do in our storage area. The links that were posted to materials and a you tube video have all expired, I would be very grateful if you could either send me them to personally or repost, i would also like the blueprint of the slide out area if you still have it. One thing we have noticed on our slide is that when we open it, the end towards the rear of the trailer sort of pops when its opening until it gets half way open, then it is very quiet and smooth. I have not yet looked into this issue, but wondering if anyone else has this or heard of it.
    2021 GD 150 Series Reflection 260RD, Lifted 3" with solar. Lippert Turning Point Pin Box. 300watt Inverter. TV = 2021 4wd Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab I6 Cummins Diesel, 6'4" bed, Curt A16 puck system, Custom Bed Tank.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine pops...I posted a video recently here. The noise is coming from the front side of the slide though...
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is grand design doing anything to fix this problem on new builds?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Popping is not good. For us that meant a broken shoe.

I would make sure the gear is not slipping on any of the four racks. The 260RD has a long slide carrying a lot of weight. I now keep mine lubed well with the green can lube and condition the slide rubber
    2020 Ram CTD 2500 SC SB
    2021 Reflection 260RD
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast