User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Breeze View Post
    I guess this is on topic but anyone know how to go about replacing these Westlakes with a 14 ply G rated tire ??

I want Sailun S637's but my local shops in So Fla all claim their equipment cannot handle the Sailun's stiff sidewalls ? (which is my main reason for wanting them !!)

Ironically... Sailuns are all Made in China as well... so go figure !!
    Thanks,
    Michael

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Sorry to say, but find another tire shop. Nothing special to mount the tires. My local Discount Tire (and other shops I have checked) have no problems dismounting/mounting them. Two things to be aware of though;

1) The G rated tires are speced (max load) at 110 PSI. My local Discount Tire will only inflate to 90(?) PSI and say this is a corporate requirements. Other local tires shops (Les Schwabb, Big O tires, Firestone, Goodyear, etc.) have no problem inflating to 110 PSI. Their only requirement is they can not exceed the pressure listed on the tire sidewall. If you have problems, look for a shop that handles commercial truck tires.

2) If you want to have the tires balanced after mounting, they should be balanced off of the lugs (called lug-centric). Most modern cars & trucks are hub-centric. Some shops do not know this and/or do not have the required adapter for their balancer. There is a discussion on this topic in another thread on this forum.

Chris
    Last edited by CoChris; 10-18-2020 at 02:01 PM.
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Chris for the info,

I see you're in Colorado ...that's a big difference. So Florida's a zoo !!
    Hard to find anyone capable of doing the simplest tasks.It's like the hot sun bakes their brains and no one wants to do anything RIGHT !!

I think the truck tire service route is worth checking out altho not sure if they will/can
    order Sailuns ?? (especially at $ 143 per)
    I'll see..... and thanks for the heads up on balancing.... never heard of that one and wonder how much of any ride difference would be "recognized" in my TV ??

I have friends in Grand Juction and Pagosa Springs and have traveled all over that state for weeks at a time.
    LOVE COLORADO !!!

Be well and stay safe
    Michael

Last edited by Da Breeze; 10-18-2020 at 02:45 PM.
    Previously known as mikgala

F-250 7.3 PSD Lariat Super Cab LB wt 152K - 25 row Ford tranny cooler, A&E Air Intake system, TS-6 high performance Super Chip, Air Ride airbags, Bilstein shocks

2017 Reflection 307 MKS 9,875 UVW / 12,995 GVWR / 1,605 Pin

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    You know Carlisle tires are all now made in China too? I was always a fan of them having used them on my garden tractors and Carlisle being a home state favorite but now I wonder about them. You just don't get much feedback anymore on their tires, agriculture, utility or RV. I realize the product and quality control of some are better than others. I.e. Maxxis, Sailun and Hercules while Chinese companies are considered suitable replacements while Westlake are still tossed in the trash pile (not to jinx myself but I have over 10500 miles on the original Westlake tires).
    I had issues with tires and wheels on my previous TT but it was more a problem with them being under rated, not up to the load demands of the trailer. I replaced those with Carlisle Radial Trail HD with load range D and took it another 3 or 4 thousand before selling it when I got this 5W.
    Yes, I know that. I never had a problem with Carlisle tires. Companies that are concerned about quality have someone in the factory watching over things. They make sure no short cuts are being taken and the proper processes are being followed. It is not uncommon for Chinese manufacturers to start shortening cycle times, thereby altering the process, to increase production. There is a lot of pure junk coming out of China. How much are we really saving on a $10 pair of pliers? Then factor in your time and fuel when they have to be returned because they don't close properly. For that matter, how much are we saving on a $2000 refrigerator or a $700 stove that may last 5 years? It's the myth of cheaper products that really aren't any cheaper. Sorry for the rant.
    2019 Reflection 312BHTS TT Sold

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Chris for the info,

I see you're in Colorado ...that's a big difference. So Florida's a zoo !!
    Your welcome and good luck. I will take a zoo over being on fire

I think the truck tire service route is worth checking out altho not sure if they will/can
    order Sailuns ?? (especially at $ 143 per)

Be well and stay safe
    Michael
    Sailun makes medium and heavy duty (commercial) truck tires. I would think that any truck service center that carries Sailun could get the S637 we use on the trailers (but you never know).

Thank you for the good thoughts and same to you and your's.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kent2970 View Post
    It happened to me. We have a 2019 Imagine 2970RL trailer. We bought it new in February 2019 and with the onboard computer system on our F250 PS we have towed it only 6,200 miles. Last week on a trip from Sacrament to Paso Robles, about 280 miles, we were 6 miles from the RV park when, you guessed it. The front driver side tire shed its tread (I made a funny). The amazing thing was that the tire still had 80 PSI and was rolling fine. We pulled off in the weeds on HWY 46 and changed the tire, with fire extinguisher in hand. We were lucky that there was only minimal damage to the trailer, none of which affected its drivability. BUT here is the education that I will share with you. The incident tore the cable out of its connector end inside the trailer where it plugs into the motor pig tail that feeds the front motor on the Schwintek slide. That slide houses the pantry, cooktop and worst of all the FRIDGE. In the closed position the fridge butts against the kitchen island, so no food, cooking or beer. Oh yea, this happened at 6:30 on a Friday. It also pulled the wires from the side marker light, which also feed back to the tail lights. so no brake, or turn signal lights, but that was a 2 minute fix. We called around and found an RV Parts dealer that assured me the new cable would be in on Monday morning. He was right. So for temporary use we just ran the cable from the slide motor into the bathroom where the slide controller is located under the sink. Pushed the switch and slide works. Vacation saved

Oh, bought 4 new Goodyear Endurance tires before the trip home.

So it's unfortunate that the Schwintek slide cannot be operated when closed unless there is power to the motor. When in the open position there is a way to remove the motor so you can push the slide in, but not the other way. Also I feel that GD should be running these cables through a protective conduit, since they already are aware that they sell these trailers with crappy tires.

I hope this will be helpful to somebody.
    Been there done that, don’t want another t-shirt. Only difference is we were on our way home from camping and basically had to take the fridge door off the hinges to empty it. Felt the same thing, why run a cable as important as that through the wheel well without adequate protection.
    Pete & Betty
    2012 F250 Super Duty 4x4 6.7 Diesel
    2015 Reflection 29RS
    Palm Harbor, FL

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being new to the RV world, and after hearing all the horror stories about the stock Westlakes, and... knowing we had a a cross country trip from there Seattle area to move back to our home in Central Florida. My first purchase was to replace those new Westlakes, with five Good Year Endurance tires. I also bought a TST Tire Pressure Monitoring System. We are now two months into our trip and nearly home - not one single tire issue and fortunately I had no worries the new GY tires would get us home safely!!! Definitely an ease of mind purchase and glads we did it. BTW I also sold the removed Westlakes to a guy for his lawn business trailer, which knocked off a couple hundred bucks from my purchase!!!
    Steve & Pat
    2019 Ram 3500 Limited MegaCab
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

https://www.epgsoft.com/visited-stat...100&format=png

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    I'm sorry to hear your troubles. Having the anticipation of time away deflated sucks. As to your ending comment on GD, do you really think they care?

I think they may care, they are changing many of their trailers now to Goodyear Endurance tires.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, we have put close to 20,000 miles on our Westlakes without a problem but after reading this I am wondering if it is time for a change ��

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Philwa View Post
    Hmmm, we have put close to 20,000 miles on our Westlakes without a problem but after reading this I am wondering if it is time for a change ��
    I'm with you on this one. We have just over 15,000 miles on our Westlake tires without any issues either. Have noticed that one of them is starting to show some cracking in the tread but they are 4 years old. Tire shop said they are ok for now but change them in the spring or before a long trip so once the 297RSTS comes out of winter hibernation that is what we will do.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Reflection 308 BHTS had 15” aluminum rims. I upgraded to 16” steel and 235/80 16R 14 ply. Paid $690 on eBay. (Free shipping) I did the measurements and added a MoRyde SRE4000 to give me the clearance I wanted. Definitely pulls more stable I believe due to stiffer sidewalls. Over 30,000 miles and they still look brand new.
    I chose 235/80 R16 because they are a common work trailer tire and easy to find at a decent price.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast