User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The attack of the Chinabomb tires

It happened to me. We have a 2019 Imagine 2970RL trailer. We bought it new in February 2019 and with the onboard computer system on our F250 PS we have towed it only 6,200 miles. Last week on a trip from Sacrament to Paso Robles, about 280 miles, we were 6 miles from the RV park when, you guessed it. The front driver side tire shed its tread (I made a funny). The amazing thing was that the tire still had 80 PSI and was rolling fine. We pulled off in the weeds on HWY 46 and changed the tire, with fire extinguisher in hand. We were lucky that there was only minimal damage to the trailer, none of which affected its drivability. BUT here is the education that I will share with you. The incident tore the cable out of its connector end inside the trailer where it plugs into the motor pig tail that feeds the front motor on the Schwintek slide. That slide houses the pantry, cooktop and worst of all the FRIDGE. In the closed position the fridge butts against the kitchen island, so no food, cooking or beer. Oh yea, this happened at 6:30 on a Friday. It also pulled the wires from the side marker light, which also feed back to the tail lights. so no brake, or turn signal lights, but that was a 2 minute fix. We called around and found an RV Parts dealer that assured me the new cable would be in on Monday morning. He was right. So for temporary use we just ran the cable from the slide motor into the bathroom where the slide controller is located under the sink. Pushed the switch and slide works. Vacation saved

Oh, bought 4 new Goodyear Endurance tires before the trip home.

So it's unfortunate that the Schwintek slide cannot be operated when closed unless there is power to the motor. When in the open position there is a way to remove the motor so you can push the slide in, but not the other way. Also I feel that GD should be running these cables through a protective conduit, since they already are aware that they sell these trailers with crappy tires.

I hope this will be helpful to somebody.
    2019 Imagine 2970RL
    2017 Ford F250 Lariat 6.7L diesel, SRW, short bed
    Pungo 120 Kayaks

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kent2970 View Post
    It happened to me. We have a 2019 Imagine 2970RL trailer. We bought it new in February 2019 and with the onboard computer system on our F250 PS we have towed it only 6,200 miles. Last week on a trip from Sacrament to Paso Robles, about 280 miles, we were 6 miles from the RV park when, you guessed it. The front driver side tire shed its tread (I made a funny). The amazing thing was that the tire still had 80 PSI and was rolling fine. We pulled off in the weeds on HWY 46 and changed the tire, with fire extinguisher in hand. We were lucky that there was only minimal damage to the trailer, none of which affected its drivability. BUT here is the education that I will share with you. The incident tore the cable out of its connector end inside the trailer where it plugs into the motor pig tail that feeds the front motor on the Schwintek slide. That slide houses the pantry, cooktop and worst of all the FRIDGE. In the closed position the fridge butts against the kitchen island, so no food, cooking or beer. Oh yea, this happened at 6:30 on a Friday. It also pulled the wires from the side marker light, which also feed back to the tail lights. so no brake, or turn signal lights, but that was a 2 minute fix. We called around and found an RV Parts dealer that assured me the new cable would be in on Monday morning. He was right. So for temporary use we just ran the cable from the slide motor into the bathroom where the slide controller is located under the sink. Pushed the switch and slide works. Vacation saved

So it's unfortunate that the Schwintek slide cannot be operated when closed unless there is power to the motor. When in the open position there is a way to remove the motor so you can push the slide in, but not the other way. Also I feel that GD should be running these cables through a protective conduit, since they already are aware that they sell these trailers with crappy tires.

We had our trailer 2 months (second trip), went to get trailer - had flat (Westlake) tire. Replaced by dealer. 5 months later, about 3,000 miles on trailer, had 28 PSI in one tire, large bubble on inside of tire. Luckily it didn't blow, and we were in an RV park. Found a local Goodyear dealer and bought 1 Endurance tire for trip home. Once home, replaced other 3 tires.

Have now driven 25,000 miles, including Canada/Alaska with no problem, and repair facility says our tires look great.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sorry to hear your troubles. Having the anticipation of time away deflated sucks. As to your ending comment on GD, do you really think they care?
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think they care just not nearly enough. We had very good luck with them when our 6 month old trailer had many roof bubbles and the material in the center of the slide trim panels started peeling. They made 8 new panels, replaced the entire roof with an upgraded PVC material and covered the whole cost. I'm lucky to have a wonderful RV shop in Newcastle, CA called Affordable RV. They don't sell GD units but they are authorized to service them. They dealer I purchased mine from, Happy Daze in Sacramento, I will NEVER return too.

Now we all know they but a ton of these crap tires for a greatly reduced price. So why don't they buy a ton of the Goodyear tires at a maybe smaller reduced price. If they gave me the option to pay a reasonably additional amount for the Goodyear tires I would have paid it.
    2019 Imagine 2970RL
    2017 Ford F250 Lariat 6.7L diesel, SRW, short bed
    Pungo 120 Kayaks

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now we all know they but a ton of these crap tires for a greatly reduced price. So why don't they buy a ton of the Goodyear tires at a maybe smaller reduced price. If they gave me the option to pay a reasonably additional amount for the Goodyear tires I would have paid it.
    They don't buy Good Year tires because they cost more. The problem with Chinese tires (and a lot of their other products) is Process Control. While specifications are there, they aren't always met due to pumping out products at a hurried pace. Sound familiar? This results in products that have reliability problems. One tire, refrigerator, etc. may last years while another identical product lasts 2 weeks or never works properly at all. I replaced my original tires after the first trip with Carlisle radials. Did the same on my last TT and never had a tire problem.

Off topic but I don't see how Chinese products are "cheaper". IMO prices aren't a whole lot cheaper than making the stuff here, especially when you consider the reliability issues. I would rather pay more for something I knew would have a higher probability of performing.
    2019 Reflection 312BHTS TT Sold

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewhedd View Post
    They don't buy Good Year tires because they cost more. The problem with Chinese tires (and a lot of their other products) is Process Control. While specifications are there, they aren't always met due to pumping out products at a hurried pace. Sound familiar? This results in products that have reliability problems. One tire, refrigerator, etc. may last years while another identical product lasts 2 weeks or never works properly at all. I replaced my original tires after the first trip with Carlisle radials. Did the same on my last TT and never had a tire problem.

Off topic but I don't see how Chinese products are "cheaper". IMO prices aren't a whole lot cheaper than making the stuff here, especially when you consider the reliability issues. I would rather pay more for something I knew would have a higher probability of performing.
    You know Carlisle tires are all now made in China too? I was always a fan of them having used them on my garden tractors and Carlisle being a home state favorite but now I wonder about them. You just don't get much feedback anymore on their tires, agriculture, utility or RV. I realize the product and quality control of some are better than others. I.e. Maxxis, Sailun and Hercules while Chinese companies are considered suitable replacements while Westlake are still tossed in the trash pile (not to jinx myself but I have over 10500 miles on the original Westlake tires).
    I had issues with tires and wheels on my previous TT but it was more a problem with them being under rated, not up to the load demands of the trailer. I replaced those with Carlisle Radial Trail HD with load range D and took it another 3 or 4 thousand before selling it when I got this 5W.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they gave me the option to pay a reasonably additional amount for the Goodyear tires I would have paid it.
    At one point they did give that option, only on certain product lines though. I ordered my Momentum from the factory with Goodyear G614s, included the spare tire as well. I dont know why they dont offer that anymore.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess this is on topic but anyone know how to go about replacing these Westlakes with a 14 ply G rated tire ??

I want Sailun S637's but my local shops in So Fla all claim their equipment cannot handle the Sailun's stiff sidewalls ? (which is my main reason for wanting them !!)

Ironically... Sailuns are all Made in China as well... so go figure !!
    Thanks,
    Michael

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Previously known as mikgala

F-250 7.3 PSD Lariat Super Cab LB wt 152K - 25 row Ford tranny cooler, A&E Air Intake system, TS-6 high performance Super Chip, Air Ride airbags, Bilstein shocks

2017 Reflection 307 MKS 9,875 UVW / 12,995 GVWR / 1,605 Pin

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know Michelin's aren't trailer tires but with all this talk I recalled a report I had read about Michelin's. They are made all over the world. They have plants everywhere. What they do though is set up every plant up identical to all the others. Right down to the uniforms all the employee's wear. This makes it easier to control how they are made and keep control of quality of their product.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Breeze View Post
    I guess this is on topic but anyone know how to go about replacing these Westlakes with a 14 ply G rated tire ??

I want Sailun S637's but my local shops in So Fla all claim their equipment cannot handle the Sailun's stiff sidewalls ? (which is my main reason for wanting them !!)

Ironically... Sailuns are all Made in China as well... so go figure !!
    Thanks,
    Michael

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    I had the same problem with discount. Went to firestone and they popped them on with their normal equipment. It doesn't take special equipment but some just don't want to look into it. I also found a local place (not a national chain) and they also said not a problem
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast